    TIA

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Tom Simchak

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    The installation instructions usually specify uninstalling any packet
    writing software you have, and changing the IDE channel to PIO mode prior to
    installation. You should read the installation instructions carefully and
    then follow them exactly; if you do not follow them *exactly* you will get
    the same error.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Tom Simchak

    Tom Simchak Guest

    There were ZERO instructions included with the download. Perhaps I
    should have made that clear in my original post...the update was via an
    FTP download. Files were successfully unzipped, and clicking on the
    executable gives me the error message previously mentioned.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Nov 1, 2005
  4. "Tom Simchak" <> wrote in message
    >I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware for my
    >DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an error message
    >that the target drive could not be found.
    >
    > I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
    > message.
    >
    > What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner. The
    > folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 . Running XP
    > MCE 2005. SP2.
    >
    > Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > Tom S.
    > Houston, TX

    Looking at the downloads section for an 8400 the "R107638.EXE" file appears
    to be the flash update for an "HLDS GRA-4120B HH 12X DVD+RW" drive.

    Is that the drive in your computer? Is the drive currently functioning? The
    instructions for that flash upgrade are;

    Custom Instructions for R107638.EXE:

    1) Down load flash utility onto system hard disk drive.

    2) Double click on flash utility.

    3) Read information on screen.

    4) Click on Update.

    5) Wait until flash is completed.

    6) Click on Reboot.

    It appears that's what you have done.

    If this is the correct update for your drive and the drive is *not*
    currently functioning it may be that whatever problem you're having with the
    drive is preventing it from being seen by the flash routine.

    If you have a different DVD R/RW in your computer I suggest logging into
    Dell Support Drivers & Downloads (
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?ref=myaccount&c=us&s=dhs&l=en&cs=19 )
    with your service tag and finding the correct flash for your drive.

    If it is the correct update for your drive and the drive is currently
    functioning I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Nov 1, 2005
  5. Tom Simchak

    Tom Simchak Guest

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > "Tom Simchak" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware for my
    >>DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an error message
    >>that the target drive could not be found.
    >>
    >>I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
    >>message.
    >>
    >>What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner. The
    >>folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 . Running XP
    >>MCE 2005. SP2.
    >>
    >>Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.
    >>

    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Tom S.
    >>Houston, TX

    > Looking at the downloads section for an 8400 the "R107638.EXE" file appears
    > to be the flash update for an "HLDS GRA-4120B HH 12X DVD+RW" drive.
    >
    > Is that the drive in your computer? Is the drive currently functioning? The
    > instructions for that flash upgrade are;
    >
    > Custom Instructions for R107638.EXE:
    >
    > 1) Down load flash utility onto system hard disk drive.
    >
    > 2) Double click on flash utility.
    >
    > 3) Read information on screen.
    >
    > 4) Click on Update.
    >
    > 5) Wait until flash is completed.
    >
    > 6) Click on Reboot.
    >

    > It appears that's what you have done.
    >
    > If this is the correct update for your drive and the drive is *not*
    > currently functioning it may be that whatever problem you're having with the
    > drive is preventing it from being seen by the flash routine.
    >
    > If you have a different DVD R/RW in your computer I suggest logging into
    > Dell Support Drivers & Downloads (
    > http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?ref=myaccount&c=us&s=dhs&l=en&cs=19 )
    > with your service tag and finding the correct flash for your drive.
    >
    > If it is the correct update for your drive and the drive is currently
    > functioning I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion.

    I don't think my drive is a 12X, so apparently the Dell update "wizard"
    misread my drive. To be honest, I'm not sure what the speed is, all I
    do know is that it's dual layer capable.

    The drive does work, as I burn CD's, albeit not on a regular basis.

    Thanks.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Tom Simchak

    Tom Simchak Guest

    Re: Firmware update, add'l info

    The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze
    this problem.

    Tom Simchak, Nov 2, 2005
  7. Re: Firmware update, add'l info

    > The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze this
    > problem.

    Yup they sent you to the wrong download which of course explains why it
    couldn't find the drive.

    Log into Support, Downloads and Drivers with your Service Tag as I indicated
    if you still want to see if there is a firmware update for your drive.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Nov 2, 2005
  8. Re: Firmware update, add'l info

    Tom Simchak wrote:

    > The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze
    > this problem.

    I have the same DVD burner (but without the problem <g>). I don't
    recognize the Dell driver no., IIRC I downloaded the newest firmware
    update from the Philips site back in 08/2005 (F/W level GD30). Installed
    without a peep. I can send you an email with the F/W ZIP file if you
    like (926KB).

    Sparky Spartacus, Nov 3, 2005
  9. Re: Firmware update, add'l info

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

    > "Tom Simchak" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze this
    >>problem.

    > Yup they sent you to the wrong download which of course explains why it
    > couldn't find the drive.
    >
    > Log into Support, Downloads and Drivers with your Service Tag as I indicated
    > if you still want to see if there is a firmware update for your drive.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?ref=myaccount&c=us&s=dhs&l=en&cs=19

    Here's the skinny from Dell:

    Drivers & Downloads
    You Are Searching For Change Devices

    Philips DVD8631 HH 16X DVD+/-RW
    Firmware
    Release Title: Removable Storage: Philips DVD8631 HH 16X DVD+/-RW,
    Firmware, Multi OS, Multi Language, Multi System, v.GD30, A04
    Release Date: 06/10/2005

    By downloading, you accept the terms of the Dell Software License Agreement.

    File Name File Size Download Time (56K) File Format
    Gd30.zip 925 KB 2.2 min Hard-Drive
    Download Now

    Add to My Downloads

    FTP Download

    Other Versions

    Criticality
    Recommended Dell recommends applying this update during your next
    scheduled update cycle. The update contains feature enhancements or
    changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible
    with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software).

    Additional Information
    No information available.

    Important Information
    No information available.

    Fixes and Enhancements
    Fixed issue with DLA support on DVD-R media; Added support for
    additional DVD+R Double Layer media manufacturers

    Installation Instructions
    Custom Instructions for Gd30.zip:

    Download file to desktop

    Unzip file Gd30.zip

    Window appears with GD30.exe file

    Run the GD30 executable to reflash drive

    Compatibility
    View compatible systems and operating systems

    The Home & Home Office site and offers contained herein valid only for
    end users and not for resellers and/or online auctions. Pricing,
    specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without
    notice. Taxes, fees, shipping and handling and any applicable restocking
    charges are extra, and vary. U.S. Dell Home Systems Co. new purchases
    only. Limit of 5 systems per customer please. Dell cannot be responsible
    for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders
    arising from such errors.

    Copyright 1999-2005 Dell Inc. For customers of the 50 United States and
    the District of Columbia only.
    Site Terms | Terms and Conditions of Sale | Technical Support Policy |
    Privacy Policy | About Dell | Sweepstakes Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

    That's the one you want.

    Sparky Spartacus, Nov 3, 2005