First Die-Shot Photograph of Intel Larrabee

Discussion in 'ATI' started by NV55, May 14, 2009.

  1. NV55

    NV55 Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. NV55

    NV55 Guest

    On May 14, 2:58 am, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no">
    wrote:
    > NV55 wrote:
    > >http://img2.pict.com/51/47/27/8651f48224d11fe0dcf2ebc330/53NzS/intell...

    > > discussion
    > >http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54144

    > Quite nice thread actually!
    >

    > > apparently there are 32 cores in this chip, plus a number of other
    > > structures / functional units

    > Assuming Intel can get this to work nearly as well as Mike Abrash' and
    > Tom Forsyth's talks at GDC indicated, it looks a lot like a single-chip
    > solution for a cheap-to-manufacture box with very decent 3D performance.
    >
    > Terje
    > --
    > - <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>
    > "almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"

    Yes. I could imagine low-end PCs using a single 32 core Larrabee chip
    (later 48 or 64 cores) having very nice 3D performance (2 TFLOPs)

    Then I could see higher-end PCs, with 2 Larrabee chips, perhaps 4,
    as high-end gaming rigs and other machines as personal supercomputers
    --much like what Nvidia does with their GeForce-based Telsa chips.

    I could also see Larrabee, or perhaps Larrabee2, being the heart of a
    next generation game console from Sony or Microsoft, or less likely,
    Apple or SEGA.

    And like with IBM's CELL in Roadrunner, I could see Intel getting a
    contract to use Larrabee in a next-gen record breaking Supercomputer.

    1. Advertising

  3. deimos

    deimos Guest

    Terje Mathisen wrote:
    > NV55 wrote:
    >> http://img2.pict.com/51/47/27/8651f48224d11fe0dcf2ebc330/53NzS/intellarrabeedieshot6.jpg
    >>

    >> discussion
    >> http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54144

    > Quite nice thread actually!
    >>
    >> apparently there are 32 cores in this chip, plus a number of other
    >> structures / functional units

    > Assuming Intel can get this to work nearly as well as Mike Abrash' and
    > Tom Forsyth's talks at GDC indicated, it looks a lot like a single-chip
    > solution for a cheap-to-manufacture box with very decent 3D performance.
    >
    > Terje

    Or a steaming pile of shit that wastes everyones time. But other than
    that, yah.

  4. Morten Reistad <> writes:

    > We may even see advances in sensing, good enough for cars to have
    > some self-steering ability, but they probably won't rival horses
    > yet.

    *Some* self steering ability has been around for a while now:

    http://youtube.com/?v=xlVx4Dhglkg

    (see about 4:40 )

    That was 1994... similar systems are in production now
    (eg. http://ir.trw.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=345841). And no, they
    don't rival horses just yet :)

    (I worked peripherally on the Lucas/Jaguar project, and was very
    involved its follow-ups and on the TRW production one)

    Cheers,
    Martin

    http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

  5. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    NV55 wrote:
    > On May 14, 2:58 am, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no">
    > wrote:
    >> NV55 wrote:
    >>> http://img2.pict.com/51/47/27/8651f48224d11fe0dcf2ebc330/53NzS/intell...
    >>> discussion
    >>> http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54144

    >> Quite nice thread actually!
    >>

    >>> apparently there are 32 cores in this chip, plus a number of other
    >>> structures / functional units

    >> Assuming Intel can get this to work nearly as well as Mike Abrash' and
    >> Tom Forsyth's talks at GDC indicated, it looks a lot like a single-chip
    >> solution for a cheap-to-manufacture box with very decent 3D performance.
    >>
    >> Terje
    >> --
    >> - <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>
    >> "almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"

    > Yes. I could imagine low-end PCs using a single 32 core Larrabee chip
    > (later 48 or 64 cores) having very nice 3D performance (2 TFLOPs)
    >
    > Then I could see higher-end PCs, with 2 Larrabee chips, perhaps 4,
    > as high-end gaming rigs and other machines as personal supercomputers
    > --much like what Nvidia does with their GeForce-based Telsa chips.
    >
    > I could also see Larrabee, or perhaps Larrabee2, being the heart of a
    > next generation game console from Sony or Microsoft, or less likely,
    > Apple or SEGA.
    >
    > And like with IBM's CELL in Roadrunner, I could see Intel getting a
    > contract to use Larrabee in a next-gen record breaking Supercomputer.

    Yeah and Skynet and all those machines....