    Any tips appreciated.

    Everyone's help in the past few weeks has
    been very effective, and I thank you!
    Twittering One, Oct 21, 2006

  2. I suppose this is my answer.
    It says:

    Mac
    Operating Systems

    * Mac OS X 10.2.x and later

    Minimum Hardware

    * Macintosh computer with an Intel x86 or PowerPC G3, G4, or G5
    processor
    * 128 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)
    * 200 MB hard drive space

    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements.html
    Twittering One, Oct 21, 2006

  3. I successfully downloaded Foxfire.

    A question:

    You know that white icon that looks like
    a disc-reader that always appears after you
    do a download?

    Once I put the Foxfire alias icon on my Mac
    dock, what do I do with the icon that continues
    to sit on my desktop?

    Is it of use, or can I discard it?

    I always pops back to my desktop if I try
    to move it to a folder.

    Many thanks.
    Twittering One, Oct 21, 2006
  4. Jolly Roger wrote:
    > On 2006-10-21 11:29:15 -0500, "Twittering One" <> said:
    >
    > > I successfully downloaded Foxfire.
    > >
    > > A question:
    > >
    > > You know that white icon that looks like
    > > a disc-reader that always appears after you
    > > do a download?
    > >
    > > Once I put the Foxfire alias icon on my Mac
    > > dock, what do I do with the icon that continues
    > > to sit on my desktop?
    > >
    > > Is it of use, or can I discard it?
    > >
    > > I always pops back to my desktop if I try
    > > to move it to a folder.
    > >
    > > Many thanks.

    > It's "Firefox".
    >
    > It sounds like you created an alias to the application in the disk
    > image. So every time you open that alias, the disk image will mount.
    > This is obviously not what you wanted - you need to, instead, copy the
    > application to the Applications folder first, and then create an alias
    > from the app in the Applications folder.
    >
    > The typical installation procedure you should follow for drag and drop
    > applications is:
    >
    > 1. Drag the application from the disk image to your Applications folder.
    > 2. Make an alias from the Applications folder to wherever you want.
    > 3. Unmount the disk image.
    >
    > --
    > JR

    Thanks.

    I am still doing something wrong.

    I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
    and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.

    But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
    from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
    as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
    to teh Ap folder,

    and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
    like a disc-reader.

    The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
    this problem.
    Twittering One, Oct 21, 2006
  5. Twittering One

    Jon Guest

    Twittering One <> wrote:

    > I suppose this is my answer.

    Indeed. Firefox 1.5.x works on all systems above 10.2. Go a head.
    --
    /Jon
    For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
    Jon, Oct 21, 2006
  6. Twittering One

    Ted Landry Guest

    In article <>,
    "Twittering One" <> wrote:

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I am still doing something wrong.
    >
    > I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
    > and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.
    >
    > But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
    > from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
    > as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
    > to teh Ap folder,
    >
    > and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
    > like a disc-reader.
    >
    > The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
    > this problem.

    i think what you have done is made an alias from inside the .dmg file of
    FireFox, so even if you restart and the temp disk image disappears, it
    will mount and show you that window every time you click on the dock
    icon. so drag over the REAL application out of the disk image, put it in
    your applications folder, then you are done. (throw away the FireFox.dmg
    file just to be sure.

    lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
    not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.

    http://www.caminobrowser.org/
    Ted Landry, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Twittering One

    Jon Guest

    Ted Landry <> wrote:

    > lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
    > not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.

    What utter nonsense. Firefox not only works on a Mac, but is a very good
    Mac browser. OTOH, Camino is quite a marginal product these days, IMHO.
    Jon, Oct 22, 2006
  8. Ted Landry wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Twittering One" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > I am still doing something wrong.
    > >
    > > I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
    > > and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.
    > >
    > > But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
    > > from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
    > > as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
    > > to teh Ap folder,
    > >
    > > and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
    > > like a disc-reader.
    > >
    > > The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
    > > this problem.

    > i think what you have done is made an alias from inside the .dmg file of
    > FireFox, so even if you restart and the temp disk image disappears, it
    > will mount and show you that window every time you click on the dock
    > icon. so drag over the REAL application out of the disk image, put it in
    > your applications folder, then you are done. (throw away the FireFox.dmg
    > file just to be sure.
    >
    > lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
    > not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.
    >
    > http://www.caminobrowser.org/

    Thanks, I will try that, but the Foxfire
    actually works quite well so far, I like it.
    Twittering One, Oct 22, 2006
  9. Twittering One wrote:
    > Ted Landry wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Twittering One" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > I am still doing something wrong.
    > > >
    > > > I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
    > > > and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.
    > > >
    > > > But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
    > > > from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
    > > > as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
    > > > to teh Ap folder,
    > > >
    > > > and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
    > > > like a disc-reader.
    > > >
    > > > The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
    > > > this problem.

    > > i think what you have done is made an alias from inside the .dmg file of
    > > FireFox, so even if you restart and the temp disk image disappears, it
    > > will mount and show you that window every time you click on the dock
    > > icon. so drag over the REAL application out of the disk image, put it in
    > > your applications folder, then you are done. (throw away the FireFox.dmg
    > > file just to be sure.
    > >
    > > lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
    > > not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.
    > >
    > > http://www.caminobrowser.org/

    > Thanks, I will try that, but the Foxfire
    > actually works quite well so far, I like it.

    I did that, but stil, the disc image appears
    on my desktop.

    After I close Foxfire, I delete the image,
    but it remounts each time.

    I can live with that, although clearly, I am
    likely doing something wrong.
    Twittering One, Oct 22, 2006
  10. In article <1hnmfzn.1d5c1v31ao6oakN%>,
    (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > 3. Drag the Firefox icon from the disk image window to your
    > Applications folder.

    3a. The disk image window is the one you get when you double-click on
    the disk image icon.

    > 4. Drag the disk image icon to the trash.

    4a. Then drag the .dmg file into the trash and empty the trash.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 22, 2006
  11. Thanks Mike & Micheller,
    DONE.

    No more desktop disc-image.

    Could not have corrected that faux pas
    without your excellent directions.

    And I really do like the fired up fox
    as a browser.
    Twittering One, Oct 23, 2006
  12. In article <1hnmhyp.1kmterx3425qxN%>,
    (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > > > 4. Drag the disk image icon to the trash.

    > > 4a. Then drag the .dmg file into the trash and empty the trash.

    > That's true, but I believe from earlier posts that this file is now
    > in her Applications folder, so I've covered that in step 5. Of
    > course, if there's still a copy of that file on the desktop, it too
    > should be trashed.

    Regardless of where the .dmg file is, she should trash it. Otherwise,
    opening it will create another disk image, and the problem may resurface.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 23, 2006
  13. Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Twittering One" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Thanks, I will try that, but the Foxfire
    >> actually works quite well so far, I like it.

    > Why do you persist in referring to FireFox as FoxFire?
    >
    > Do you have learning difficulties?
    >
    > Are you dyslexic?
    >
    > Or are you just a twat?

    Whoa, Mark Rae! This isn't advocacy. Can you show some tolerance?

    --
    lsmft
    John McWilliams, Oct 23, 2006
  14. Twittering One

    Jon Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > Not to say Firefox isn't a good Mac browser (especially if you like
    > browser extensions) - it is. But why the anti-Camino feeling?

    My expression "utter nonsense" was really directed at the statement that
    "you DON't want to be using FireFox on a Mac", which _is_ nonsense. But
    I may not have been aware of the current drive for Camino. Last time I
    checked (a long time ago, I admit) it seemed more or less dormant. Good
    to hear it is alive again!
    Jon, Oct 23, 2006
  15. Twittering One

    Jon Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > Jon <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > > My expression "utter nonsense" was really directed at the statement that
    > > "you DON't want to be using FireFox on a Mac", which _is_ nonsense.

    > Ah. I agree on that point. Firefox is a fine browser on Mac, Windows,
    > Linux, BSD Unix... heaps of platforms now. But the Mac version 2.0 looks
    > and feels more like a Mac app :)

    I'll check it out now that it is into the RC versions. :)

    > Maybe you could have criticised
    > version 1 for being a bit un-Mac-like, but that was quite a while ago.

    Well, I still think its drop down menus and such are not very Aqua-like
    (in v. 1.5 at least), but OTOH it is stable, fast and robust.

    > > But I may not have been aware of the current drive for Camino. Last time I
    > > checked (a long time ago, I admit) it seemed more or less dormant. Good to
    > > hear it is alive again!

    > For myself, I couldn't be happier at the wealth of good Mac web
    > browsers. Camino is my favourite because it's so streamlined and fast
    > with great tabbed browsing. With Safari new windows instead of new tabs
    > are always opening :-( I hate that.

    Me too, but that (almost) never happens when I Cmd-click on links? BTW
    Safari has one feature that I miss in Firefox (yet): The ability to use
    the mouse to easily close any tab, as each one has a separete Close
    button. AFAIU, I need to use the contextual menu to do the same in
    Firefox?

    I'll check out a new version of Camino then, as it used to be one of my
    favourites back in Jaguar days.

    > A close second is Firefox for it's
    > wealth of useful enhancements and extras. Third would be iCab which I
    > love, but wish it were faster.

    I have never managed to get enthusiastic about iCab...
    Jon, Oct 24, 2006
  16. Twittering One

    Adrian Guest

    Re: Firefox for OS 10.2.8

    Jon <> wrote:

    > Me too, but that (almost) never happens when I Cmd-click on links? BTW
    > Safari has one feature that I miss in Firefox (yet): The ability to use
    > the mouse to easily close any tab, as each one has a separete Close
    > button. AFAIU, I need to use the contextual menu to do the same in
    > Firefox?

    Firefox now also has the close feature on each tab.

    --
    Adrian
    Adrian, Oct 24, 2006
  17. Twittering One

    Jon Guest

    Re: Firefox for OS 10.2.8

    Adrian <> wrote:

    > Firefox now also has the close feature on each tab.

    I saw that, and I am happy it does! :)
    Jon, Oct 24, 2006