    top right hand corner, it is very hot. Is the LCD burning up, or is it
    something else????????

    ~~~Mitch

    Mitch, Dec 28, 2006

  2. Mitch

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Compaq Armada 1540DM laptop. I purchased an Ethernet PC card
    > for it about a month ago. I used it that day and it worked fine. A
    > week later, I noticed a strong smell coming from the laptop, and when
    > the screen comes on, in the right hand corner, the display area is
    > brighter than the rest of the area. Also if you touch the back of the
    > top right hand corner, it is very hot. Is the LCD burning up, or is
    > it
    > something else????????
    >
    > ~~~Mitch

    Do you think the pcmcia card and the display have anything in common ?
    ( sinced you mentioned it together). If so, have you unplugged the
    pcmcia card to then check the display/smell ?

    - Bobb -, Dec 28, 2006

  3. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    Yeah, I have checked without the PCMCIA card. Still smells. Have to
    plug my nose because of the odor.

    Mitch, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Mitch

    Davy Guest

    Two thing's can 'pong' these are leaking electrolytic capacitors, when
    warm the stuff smell's even worse and undiscribable. The stuff is
    corrosive and will eat away the lacquer on the PCB prior to eating the
    copper tracks in quick time.

    The copper windings on say the inverter transformer can smell this is
    kinda acrid type smell, like burning varnish.

    I've had same thing where a cat has sat on top of a video.... and
    folks wonder why thing's go 'bang' nuff said on this one.. !

    Davy

    Davy, Jan 25, 2007
  5. Mitch

    Ben Myers Guest

    Cats are the sworn emenies of computers. This may be a politicalluy incorrect
    statement for some, but it's the truth... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 25, 2007
  6. Mitch

    Davy Guest

    > [quote:dbed1137f8]Cats are the sworn emenies of computers. Cats are
    the sworn emenies of computers. [/quote:dbed1137f8] Well er...
    anything that feels warm to their bum :D

    > This may be a politicalluy incorrect No no.... it's

    loptical innit , because it could be
    right n' it could be wrong ???

    Davy

    Davy, Jan 28, 2007