    It will be interesting to see some test results

    http://www.danamics.com/danamics-lm10.aspx

    peter

    peter, Jul 23, 2008

  2. peter

    peter Guest

    I had no idea it been that long in development..........I would still like
    to see some tests...
    I would think it would beat a H20 cooled unit...
    as for the start up problem.. who says there would be??
    I would assume that the Magnetic Pump would keep circulating the liquid
    metal ...
    I also would assume that the liquid metal would stay liquid until a fairly
    low(sub zero) temp
    One would think that the metal would be capable of removing more heat from
    the CPU and that
    heat would be absorbed by the radiator and removed by the fan(s)
    Whether it be more efficient than Water or Air Cooled Heatpipes only a Test
    can determine
    I never shut down anyways

    peter

    peter, Jul 24, 2008

  3. peter

    Paul Guest

    peter wrote:
    > I had no idea it been that long in development..........I would still like
    > to see some tests...
    > I would think it would beat a H20 cooled unit...
    > as for the start up problem.. who says there would be??
    > I would assume that the Magnetic Pump would keep circulating the liquid
    > metal ...
    > I also would assume that the liquid metal would stay liquid until a
    > fairly low(sub zero) temp
    > One would think that the metal would be capable of removing more heat
    > from the CPU and that
    > heat would be absorbed by the radiator and removed by the fan(s)
    > Whether it be more efficient than Water or Air Cooled Heatpipes only a
    > Test can determine
    > I never shut down anyways
    >
    > peter

    The heat of vaporization is a very effective mechanism for
    heat transport. That is what a heatpipe relies on. This
    diagram illustrates the reason graphically (although this is
    for Zinc). The large vertical rise, at the boiling point, shows
    the energy input needed to turn the material into a vapor. And riding
    up and down that large vertical line, is where a heatpipe operates.
    A heatpipe, in fact, is hundreds of times more effective than a
    solid piece of copper of the same size. It is the same cycle used
    by air conditioning (heat of vaporization).

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Heat_Content_of_Zn(c,l,g).PNG

    The liquid metal device, on the other hand, rides the gently sloped
    diagonal in the middle of the chart. At least in the case of Zinc,
    that would not be as effective a means of transporting heat.

    The heatpipe solution is "self propelled", in the sense that
    the vapor will transport itself to the cool end of the tube
    and condense. Flow of the condensed liquid is aided by
    capillary action on the inside surface of the heatpipe,
    sometimes provided by a sintered finish on the inside of
    the pipe.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintering

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heatpipe

    I suppose one advantage of a liquid metal, might be an
    extended operating range temperature-wise.

    The fin part of both cooling solutions would compare on an
    equal footing, and the cooler with the most fin area and
    good airflow past the fins, would win at that level. The reason
    for any transport mechanism, is to more effectively couple
    heat into the fins. In heatsinks that lack a transport mechanism
    (other than conduction), usually the very end of the fin is
    virtually useless, as the tnermal resistance of the (thin) fin
    prevents the ends from becoming very hot. Making a fin thicker
    isn't optimal, because then there is less surface area per
    unit volume of fins.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 24, 2008
  4. peter

    peter Guest

    Thanks Guys..........I am going to go and do a little more research on it.

    peter

    peter, Jul 25, 2008
  5. peter

    MS Guest

    Also mercury is toxic. Wold not expect the pipes to explod during operating,
    but at the end of is life cicle should be recycled!

    Manuel

    MS, Jul 27, 2008