Future of QNX?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Spehro Pefhany, Jan 11, 2012.

  1. Any thoughts?
    Spehro Pefhany, Jan 11, 2012

  2. Spehro Pefhany

    Rob Gaddi Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
    Spehro Pefhany <> wrote:

    > Any thoughts?

    Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

    Rob Gaddi, Jan 11, 2012

  3. On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:57:26 -0800, Rob Gaddi
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
    >Spehro Pefhany <> wrote:
    >

    >> Any thoughts?
    >>

    >Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

    Hi, Rob:-

    Real embedded stuff, but obviously one might conceivably have an
    effect on the other.
    Spehro Pefhany, Jan 11, 2012
  4. Spehro Pefhany

    Walter Banks Guest

    Rob Gaddi wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
    > Spehro Pefhany <> wrote:
    >

    > > Any thoughts?

    > Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

    RIM is hardly dead, any company that made a $160M in a quarter
    no debt, cash in the bank and a ton of paid for real-estate in Waterloo
    area, a patent portfolio and area has a long way to spiral.

    It is still essentially the only secure communications device out there.
    Add to that a minimum use of bandwidth loved by the carriers.
    Walter Banks, Jan 11, 2012
  5. On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:05:07 -0500, the renowned Walter Banks
    <> wrote:

    >Rob Gaddi wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
    >> Spehro Pefhany <> wrote:
    >>

    >> > Any thoughts?

    >> Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

    >RIM is hardly dead, any company that made a $160M in a quarter
    >no debt, cash in the bank and a ton of paid for real-estate in Waterloo
    >area, a patent portfolio and area has a long way to spiral.

    Hi, Walter:-

    True, but that may just slow the decline once the trajectory has been
    established. I was struck by how many accessory makers overseas that
    don't appear to be developing new products- it's all iPhone and
    Android. From what I understand, app development is in a similar
    state.

    >It is still essentially the only secure communications device out there.

    Useful, but a niche market.

    >Add to that a minimum use of bandwidth loved by the carriers.

    Streaming movies and FaceTime probably are the future.. but what do I
    know- I still use an obsolete-for-generations GSM flip-phone.

    Think the Q*X business could be spun off as a viable independent
    business if RIM gets acquired?

    --sp

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
    Spehro Pefhany, Jan 12, 2012
  6. Spehro Pefhany

    Walter Banks Guest

    Spehro Pefhany wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:05:07 -0500, the renowned Walter Banks
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Rob Gaddi wrote:

    > >> Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

    > >RIM is hardly dead, any company that made a $160M in a quarter
    > >no debt, cash in the bank and a ton of paid for real-estate in Waterloo
    > >area, a patent portfolio and area has a long way to spiral.

    > Hi, Walter:-
    >
    > True, but that may just slow the decline once the trajectory has been
    > established. I was struck by how many accessory makers overseas that
    > don't appear to be developing new products- it's all iPhone and
    > Android. From what I understand, app development is in a similar
    > state.
    >
    > >It is still essentially the only secure communications device out there.

    > Useful, but a niche market.
    >
    > >Add to that a minimum use of bandwidth loved by the carriers.
    > >

    > Streaming movies and FaceTime probably are the future.. but what do I
    > know- I still use an obsolete-for-generations GSM flip-phone.
    >
    > Think the Q*X business could be spun off as a viable independent
    > business if RIM gets acquired?

    Until very recently (last few years) RIM's only market was secure
    communications, a market that it dominates. I agree that it is a niche
    market but the market is huge and stable for business and government.

    It was profits from the secure communications market that funded
    the move to consumer products. My point is that the RIM position in
    an ever more competitive consumer market may not be clear they have
    a stable (but smaller) market that can depend on.

    I have no idea what is going to happen with QNX. QNX is
    a very nice multitasking OS that allows playbook to do many things that
    don't happen on iPad, android and many tablet clones. RIM has not
    been very good at explaining the difference in their advertising except
    at a level that has left the public confused.

    w..
    Walter Banks, Jan 12, 2012
  7. Spehro Pefhany

    John Speth Guest

    > Think the Q*X business could be spun off as a viable independent
    > business if RIM gets acquired?

    You mean like the way they were before the QNX->HK->RIM transfer? I hope so
    because it would be a shame if RIM buries a good thing like QNX.

    JJS
    John Speth, Jan 12, 2012
  8. Spehro Pefhany

    kalidas

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    I don't know the future of QNX.
    But I know that QNX is the future of everything.
    kalidas, Nov 19, 2012