FX5200 (non Ultra) with Passive Cooling

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Harry Muscle, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Harry Muscle

    Harry Muscle Guest

    Can anyone recommend any FX5200 (non Ultra) cards that come with passive
    cooling? I'm trying to create a farily quite system and the quietest card
    I've found so far is the MSI card which runns around 43dBA. Comparing that
    to my 21dBA Vantec Stealth fans makes me think that it's going to sound like
    a vacum cleaner.

    So far the only card I've found with passive cooling is the Gainward cards,
    however, since they have a 64bit and a 128bit version, the 128bit version
    costs way more than it should compared to other 128bits. I just don't want
    to spend more money to get a product that should cost less because it
    doesn't have a fan.

    I'm also open to the idea of getting a heatsink and replacing the fan on the
    card. However, the only solution I've found so far is made by Zalman, it's
    huge, and it costs way to much.

    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Harry

    P.S. I've also found the Elsa cards to have passive cooling, however, I
    can't find a distributor for them in North America, if you know of any place
    carrying Elsa cards, I'd be interested in that too. Thanks again.

  2. ValGLA

    ValGLA Guest

    I got the xfx 5200 with passive cooling for quiet:
    PVT34KNA GEFORCE FX 5200 128 MB DDR DVI & TV Out

    Works fine.
    --

    Cordiale salutation.

    "Harry Muscle" <fake@> a écrit dans le message de news:
    3f38ed9e$...
    > Can anyone recommend any FX5200 (non Ultra) cards that come with passive
    > cooling? I'm trying to create a farily quite system and the quietest card
    > I've found so far is the MSI card which runns around 43dBA. Comparing

    that
    > to my 21dBA Vantec Stealth fans makes me think that it's going to sound

    like
    > a vacum cleaner.
    >
    > So far the only card I've found with passive cooling is the Gainward

    cards,
    > however, since they have a 64bit and a 128bit version, the 128bit version
    > costs way more than it should compared to other 128bits. I just don't

    want
    > to spend more money to get a product that should cost less because it
    > doesn't have a fan.
    >
    > I'm also open to the idea of getting a heatsink and replacing the fan on

    the
    > card. However, the only solution I've found so far is made by Zalman,

    it's
    > huge, and it costs way to much.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > Harry
    >
    > P.S. I've also found the Elsa cards to have passive cooling, however, I
    > can't find a distributor for them in North America, if you know of any

    place
    > carrying Elsa cards, I'd be interested in that too. Thanks again.

    > -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

    1. Advertising

  3. Harry Muscle wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend any FX5200 (non Ultra) cards that come with passive
    > cooling? I'm trying to create a farily quite system and the quietest card
    > I've found so far is the MSI card which runns around 43dBA. Comparing that
    > to my 21dBA Vantec Stealth fans makes me think that it's going to sound like
    > a vacum cleaner.
    >
    > So far the only card I've found with passive cooling is the Gainward cards,
    > however, since they have a 64bit and a 128bit version, the 128bit version
    > costs way more than it should compared to other 128bits. I just don't want
    > to spend more money to get a product that should cost less because it
    > doesn't have a fan.

    Asus V9520/Magic is without a fan, but it's 64bit DDR also. No 128 bit
    version without fan.

    Mario

  4. Ron Merts

    Ron Merts Guest

    eVGA FX 5200 cards and Palit Daytona FX 5200 cards are all passive cooling
    as long as you stay away from the Ultra model.

    Ron