FX530 Memory Performance Upgrade and Timings in BIOS

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Ikaros, Feb 7, 2009.

  1. Ikaros

    Ikaros Guest

    I replaced all my FX530 memory with 4GB (4x1GB) of Patriot Extreme
    Performance DDR2 Bladed Series 667MHz PC2-5300 memory. This memory
    features low latency CL of 4, heat shields, can be overclocked, and
    has a lifetime warranty. The price is good at NewEgg at $24.99 per 2GB
    kit. I would have rather gotten a 2x2GB kit but NewEgg doesn't have it
    yet but I did write them to suggest they do stock it. The part number
    for the 2x1GB kit is PDC22G5300LLK. The part number for the 2x2GB kit
    is PDC24G5300LLK. I think the 800MHz version would work too but it
    would auto-clock down to 667MHz which is the maximum memory slot speed
    the FX530 OEMD975XBGG1 motherboard supports.

    With my original Samsung 2GB memory and Kingston 2GB memory that I
    added to it. My <Auto> memory timings at 667MHz were 5-5-5-15 and
    <Auto> voltage of 1.8V in BIOS under Performance/Memory. My Windows
    Vista Experience Index for memory was 5.4 with 4GB of regular 667MHz
    memory installed.

    With the Patriot memory, I'm using 667Mhz 4-5-5-15 timings at 1.8V.
    The memory is actually rated as low as 4-4-4-12 at 1.8V but in my
    system that proved unstable at those low latency settings so I had to
    change it somewhat.

    When you first install this Patriot memory, the BIOS will use auto
    detect settings of 5-5-5-15 just like the old slower memory. So change
    it to Manual settings of 4-5-5-15 at 1.8V. It has been running very
    stable on my (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU) system at those settings. I
    experimented with different timings, voltages, and frequencies but I
    can't get any better performance than with those settings. My Windows
    Vista Experience Index for memory improved to 5.5 with 4GB installed.

    For testing I ran Super PI 1M tests, Prime95 blend CPU/Memory stress
    testing, and Futuremark's 3DMark06 benchmarking utility. I also used
    Windows Vista's Memory Diagnostics Tool (under Start Menu/Admistrative
    Tools or from the Search bar) just to verify that i didn't have any
    defective modules installed.

    In case you are wondering about the timing numbers, the first and last
    numbers are the most important. The first tCL number (I'm using a
    value of 4) is for low CAS Latency and is the most important for
    memory performance. The last tRAS number (I'm using a value of 15) is
    for higher stability and doesn't affect performance. The second tRCD
    number in combination with the tCL also affects performance. I had
    wanted to make this number 4 too but it was unstable and failed a
    memory stress test so i had to make it 5 instead. But at least I did
    get a performance gain over using the regular DDR2 667MHz memory.

    I think the FX530 with the 1066MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) can't handle
    any lower latencies than what I ended up with. But I'm curious to know
    what those lucky CPU/FSB overclocked FX530 owners get out of their
    memory timings though. The worst part about my FX530 is having those
    BIOS performance settings locked out, because if i could adjust the
    FSB and CPU I could probably take full advantage of this Patriot
    memory and maybe would be able run it at 4-4-4-12 or 4-4-4-15 and
    still be stable if I could only get a 1:1 FSB to DRAM ratio. By the
    way, I also tried changing the memory frequency to 800MHz to do a pure
    memory overclock which worked at 5-5-5-15 and 2.1V but when I tried
    just changing the first tCL value down to 4 and rebooted all I got was
    3 beeps and a non-booting system! Luckily the BIOS maintenance mode
    jumper position allowed me to fix it so I just changed it back to
    667MHz 4-5-5-15 at 1.8V since that seems the sweet spot for me.

    To those lucky CPU overclocked FX530 owners, do you know what makes
    your BIOS unlocked to get to your CPU and FSB performance settings? Do
    you use a different version BIOS than the rest of us or is your OEM
    motheboard different? Plese check your motherboard part number with
    the free CPU-Z utility and BIOS version and let us know!

    Gateway FX530S - Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1, Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
    Core 2 Quad CPU, 1066mhz FSB, 4gb Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2
    Bladed Series 667mhz PC2-5300 RAM, 500gb RAID-0 HD, Dual DVD/RW,
    Vantec ATA133 Rounded IDE Cable, 700w Power Supply, Nvidia 8800GTX
    768mb GPU (OC), Antec VCool Slot Cooler, 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 LCD,
    Asus/ViXS Combo-210E TV Tuner, Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Audio,
    Logitech X-230 Speaker System, Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset,
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Rocketfish
    Gaming Mouse Pad, Iomega Prestige 500gb USB HD, Line-6 TonePort GX

    Steve Mavronis
    Maryland, USA

    Ikaros, Feb 7, 2009

  2. Ikaros

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ikaros wrote:
> [...]
    > your BIOS unlocked to get to your CPU and FSB performance settings? Do
    > you use a different version BIOS than the rest of us or is your OEM
    > motheboard different? Plese check your motherboard part number with
    > the free CPU-Z utility and BIOS version and let us know!
    >
    > Gateway FX530S - Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1, Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
    > Core 2 Quad CPU, 1066mhz FSB, 4gb Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2
    > Bladed Series 667mhz PC2-5300 RAM, 500gb RAID-0 HD, Dual DVD/RW,
    > Vantec ATA133 Rounded IDE Cable, 700w Power Supply, Nvidia 8800GTX
    > 768mb GPU (OC), Antec VCool Slot Cooler, 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 LCD,
    > Asus/ViXS Combo-210E TV Tuner, Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Audio,
    > Logitech X-230 Speaker System, Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset,
    > Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Rocketfish
    > Gaming Mouse Pad, Iomega Prestige 500gb USB HD, Line-6 TonePort GX

    And the motherboard is???? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 7, 2009

  3. Ikaros

    Ikaros Guest

    On Feb 7, 3:19 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:

    > And the motherboard is????  ... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

    It's mentioned above. It is an Gateway OEM Intel 975X chipset
    motherboard in BTX format, OEMD975XBGG1.

    Ikaros, Feb 7, 2009
  4. Ikaros

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ikaros wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 3:19 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >> And the motherboard is???? ... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

    > It's mentioned above. It is an Gateway OEM Intel 975X chipset
    > motherboard in BTX format, OEMD975XBGG1.

    Missed it the first time. Thank you... Ben

    Ben Myers, Feb 7, 2009
  5. Ikaros

    Ikaros Guest

    On Feb 7, 5:01 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > Ikaros wrote:
    > > On Feb 7, 3:19 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > >> And the motherboard is????  ... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

    > > It's mentioned above. It is an Gateway OEM Intel 975X chipset
    > > motherboard in BTX format, OEMD975XBGG1.

    > Missed it the first time.  Thank you... Ben

    Update - I don't know why but I decided to try this memory only BIOS
    overclock from 667mhz to 800mhz with the timings 5-5-5-15 again, but
    this time at 1.9v instead of the 2.1v that I tired before. Well My
    Windows Vista Experience Index for memory jumped from 5.5 to 5.6 so
    I'd say there was some kind of memory bandwidth improvement this time!
    The slightly lower voltage amount had some positive effect.

    Here is my online shared Experience Index 5.6 Results page at
    http://www.shareyourscore.com/MyScore.aspx?scoreid=8158

    Keep in mind with 4gb RAM before I installed Patriot memory my Index
    score was only 5.4 out of a possible 5.9 score. So scoring a 5.6 is a
    big jump in performance.

    I'm almost afraid to run a Prime95 blend stress test but I will. There
    is some debate how important this is to worry about unless you are
    making important scientific calculations to save the Earth from a
    possible Asteriod strike

    My Super PI 1M time is 21.953 so far. The more times I run this test
    depending on what my PC is doing, I usually get lower times
    calculating PI to one million places.

    I haven't run new 3DMark06 tests yet either, but you can run 3 tests
    in a row and get wildly fluctuating results.

    Steve

    Ikaros, Feb 8, 2009