G400 instability with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Wim Rafera, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Wim Rafera

    Wim Rafera Guest

    I have a new motherboard and processor and now I am having problems with my
    Matrox card (G400) with Windows XP and the latest drivers. Once in a while
    the display becomes a bit fuzzy and everything hangs. Sometimes this happens
    after a few minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. It only happens when you
    are doing something. Occasionally XP catches the error. This can happen in
    two ways:
    - after the screen has been fuzzy there comes a prompt that XP has catched
    an Matrox driver error. Than the display is set back to 640x480 at 16
    colors. Next time you start up it has its old values.
    - after I have pressed the reset button and the system has restarted XP
    comes with a prompt about an error in the previous session and wants to mail
    a report to Microsoft. Sometimes in the message something can be found about
    the Matrox driver.
    In most cases neither of the two happens.

    When I boot under windows ME the system is stable and I have no problem.The
    XP partition has worked OK on an older system. For the new motherboard (Asus
    A7V8X-X) I had to upgrade to servicepack 1, but other than that there were
    no software changes.

    I tried disabling hardware acceleration and "simultaneous access" and
    changing a bios setting from PCI VGA to AGP VGA, but that had no effect.

    Does anyone know what this could be and how I could repair this?

    Thanks,
    Wim
    Wim Rafera, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Wim Rafera

    Tod Guest

    Have you tried updating to the latest bios on the G400.

    Tod, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Wim Rafera

    Poelepetaat Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:24:36 GMT, "Tod" <>
    wrote:

    >Have you tried updating to the latest bios on the G400.
    >
    >"Wim Rafera" <-spam.nl> wrote in message
    >> I have a new motherboard and processor and now I am having problems with

    >my
    >> Matrox card (G400) with Windows XP and the latest drivers. Once in a while
    >> the display becomes a bit fuzzy and everything hangs. Sometimes this

    >happens
    >> after a few minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. It only happens when you
    >> are doing something. Occasionally XP catches the error. This can happen in
    >> two ways:
    >> - after the screen has been fuzzy there comes a prompt that XP has

    >catched
    >> an Matrox driver error. Than the display is set back to 640x480 at 16
    >> colors. Next time you start up it has its old values.
    >> - after I have pressed the reset button and the system has restarted XP
    >> comes with a prompt about an error in the previous session and wants to

    >mail
    >> a report to Microsoft. Sometimes in the message something can be found

    >about
    >> the Matrox driver.
    >> In most cases neither of the two happens.
    >>
    >> When I boot under windows ME the system is stable and I have no

    >problem.The
    >> XP partition has worked OK on an older system. For the new motherboard

    >(Asus
    >> A7V8X-X) I had to upgrade to servicepack 1, but other than that there were
    >> no software changes.
    >>
    >> I tried disabling hardware acceleration and "simultaneous access" and
    >> changing a bios setting from PCI VGA to AGP VGA, but that had no effect.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what this could be and how I could repair this?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Wim

    I have similar unpredictable errors. In my case I suspect it has to do
    with the seating/fitting of the board in my old Aopen AX6BC MB AGP
    slot. Reseating the card does the problems go away for longer periods
    normally.
    Poelepetaat, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Wim Rafera

    Bob Davis Guest

    I've been using 586 now for over a year in XP Pro (G450), using two monitors
    with UltraMon software, with total stability. I wouldn't even consider
    upgrading to anything else. (If it ain't broke....)

    You can download the older 586 driver here:
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/2kxp_586.cfm

    Bob Davis, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Wim Rafera

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Next time you have the card out, take a pencil eraser, preferably the white
    kind, intended for erasing ink, and buff up the gold contacts on the edge
    connector of the card.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Jul 19, 2004