G400 Rainbow and Linux

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Gorby, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Gorby

    Gorby Guest

    Hi Guys,
    I have an older machine Pent 233, 800~ meg RAM (RAM seems more important
    than CPU most of the time) with a G400 and a Rainbow runner card. I am
    playing with SUSE Linux. I am trying to get TV reception going with
    these cards using Linux.

    Is this too hard?

    Linux newbie
    Gorby

    1. Advertising

  2. On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:54:18 +1030, Gorby wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    > I have an older machine Pent 233, 800~ meg RAM (RAM seems more important
    > than CPU most of the time) with a G400 and a Rainbow runner card. I am
    > playing with SUSE Linux. I am trying to get TV reception going with
    > these cards using Linux.
    >
    > Is this too hard?
    >
    > Linux newbie
    > Gorby

    This is kind of late, but a P-233 might not have enough horsepower to do
    any sort of real-time video. My Celeron-533 barely keeps up...

    Other than that, you should do a google search on video4linux, and see if
    the chipset in the matrox card is supported. Mostly likely it's a BT878,
    in which case you need to have the bt878 module loaded, and then try xawtv....

    1. Advertising

  3. J. Clarke

    J. Clarke Guest

    Captain Dondo wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:54:18 +1030, Gorby wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guys,
    >> I have an older machine Pent 233, 800~ meg RAM (RAM seems more important
    >> than CPU most of the time) with a G400 and a Rainbow runner card. I am
    >> playing with SUSE Linux. I am trying to get TV reception going with
    >> these cards using Linux.
    >>
    >> Is this too hard?
    >>
    >> Linux newbie
    >> Gorby

    > This is kind of late, but a P-233 might not have enough horsepower to do
    > any sort of real-time video. My Celeron-533 barely keeps up...
    >
    > Other than that, you should do a google search on video4linux, and see if
    > the chipset in the matrox card is supported. Mostly likely it's a BT878,
    > in which case you need to have the bt878 module loaded, and then try
    > xawtv....

    I understand that the G200 Marvel is the best bet from Matrox for a
    low-powered video machine--the G200 IIRC had hardware encoding. I could
    never get the G400 Marvel to record and playback satisfactorily on a C1000.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)