    Asus P2BF BX board
    Windows 2000 Pro latest updates

    Thanks,

    Om_Audio, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Om_Audio

    Guest

    Om_Audio wrote:
    > I installed a G450 on my BX chipset based Win2000 pro system- but it only
    > works in safe mode- or svga after I uninstall it in safe mode- once I reboot
    > the screen goes black after the os loads and the keyboard stops responding
    > as well (no caps or num lock lights)
    >
    > I have the latest drivers but not sure what the problem is. Any tips
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Matrox G450 32mb DH- G45+MDHA32DB
    > Asus P2BF BX board
    > Windows 2000 Pro latest updates

    I have a couple of TUSL2-Cs with the Matrox G450 in them working w/o
    any problems (knock on wood). What sort of peripherical do you have?
    You may have to move them around presuming that interrupts are being
    shared in such a way as to thwart your efforts. This includes NICs,
    sound cards, etc.

    Are you sure the G450 really works? There are some diagnostics to
    exercise the adapter. Oh ... and ... I am speaking of the AGP version.
    I think there is also a PCI version?

    HTH.
    , Dec 15, 2005

  3. Om_Audio

    Om_Audio Guest

    I have followed Matrox's instructions to remove and reinstall the drivers
    etc- same issue. I removed the PCI card just below the AGP slot (G450 I have
    is AGP)
    Where are the diagnostics and will they run in Safe mode or VGA mode?

    Thanks,

    Om_Audio, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Om_Audio

    Guest

    okay, let's figure your RAM is OK. do you have any exotic drivers in
    your pc? in other words, is there anything that windows 2000 can
    handle that has, instead, a newer or different driver, perhaps with
    different or more features?

    you can, i think, manually set interrupts. this should not be
    necessary as you are not using PCI slot #1 (shared with your AGP). i'd
    do it anyway.

    do you have the latest bios installed on the mobo? i don't know what
    that is at all.

    for the g450, you can get this program to check it out. go to this ftp
    site & folder for prog. and readme.

    ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/

    ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/md15200b.zip

    ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/md15200.txt

    bios here:
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/bios/home2.cfm

    the g450 comes up braindead, or rather like a simple vga (or-svga) card
    when first installed. prior to installing matrox drivers, are you able
    to see anything? 640x480 display?

    perhaps there is a bios setting for the agp slot causing a problem. i
    don't know.

    check out the mobo bios, g450 bios, g450 h/w, maybe your pc ram,
    manually assign interrupts, remove peripherals for now (sound card?),
    and let us know what happens!
    , Dec 17, 2005
  5. Om_Audio

    Om_Audio Guest

    Thanks for the help.

    RAM is fine- this computer has been in current config for years actually-
    only the GPU has changed- 4 sticks of pc-133 Crucial ram etc. MB has latest
    BIOS etc.

    Card works fine in Safe mode and in VGA mode- I also used the DOS based
    utility you sent the link for and the card was identified properly and
    passed all tests.

    I'll try some other things I guess- frustrating- as I posted on Craigs list
    for used monitors and I'll be able to get 2 monitors cheap so it will be
    great to have the fanless dual head working.

    Thanks again,

    Om_Audio, Dec 19, 2005
  6. Om_Audio

    Guest

    short answer.

    g450 manual has a short section on booting in safe mode, setting res.
    to lowest, and then rebooting. usu. necessary when some h/w s/w change
    has a problem.

    else, make a barebones setup and try again. ghost to mirror boot
    partition. start with reset BIOS and no adapters. if you cannot get
    the board to start in this case, then perhaps there is a real h/w
    problem.

    a fresh OS install seems to be in order. for so much trouble, make
    sure to reset the h/w too. and i forget how the intel drivers for the
    chipset are to be installed?

    good luck.
    , Dec 19, 2005