    This is configured for dualhead with independent resolutions. Secondary
    display given only enough memory to run 32bit 1280x1024 @ 85hz.

    ....is it possible?
    Noozer, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Noozer

    Rick Guest

    "Noozer" <> wrote in message news:WOXQc.29792$M95.14846@pd7tw1no...
    > I know I'm wishing here, but...
    >
    > P4 @ 3Ghz and a gig of memory with a 16meg Matrox G550 card. Doom3 won't
    > start claiming drivers aren't providing the needed functions.
    >
    > This is configured for dualhead with independent resolutions. Secondary
    > display given only enough memory to run 32bit 1280x1024 @ 85hz.
    >
    > ...is it possible?

    No. Doom3 requires DX9 support, and the G550 doesn't
    have it, even via software emulation.

    Rick
    Rick, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Noozer

    Larc Guest

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:49:01 -0700, "Rick" <> wrote:

    | "Noozer" <> wrote in message news:WOXQc.29792$M95.14846@pd7tw1no...
    | > I know I'm wishing here, but...
    | >
    | > P4 @ 3Ghz and a gig of memory with a 16meg Matrox G550 card. Doom3 won't
    | > start claiming drivers aren't providing the needed functions.
    | >
    | > This is configured for dualhead with independent resolutions. Secondary
    | > display given only enough memory to run 32bit 1280x1024 @ 85hz.
    | >
    | > ...is it possible?
    |
    | No. Doom3 requires DX9 support, and the G550 doesn't
    | have it, even via software emulation.

    I don't think Matrox cards, even the exalted Parhelia, can handle
    Doom3. There are beta drivers available from Matrox for the P650 and
    up that claim DX9 support. But the fact that Matrox apparently isn't
    continuing work on them makes me suspect they have insolvable
    problems.

    Larc

    Larc, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Noozer

    Tod Guest

    I'm a Matrox fan, but I'm really happy with my ATI 9600.
    Time to pry that Matrox from your cold dead fingers.

    Tod, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Noozer

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    Noozer <> wrote:
    > I know I'm wishing here, but...
    >
    > P4 @ 3Ghz and a gig of memory with a 16meg Matrox G550 card. Doom3
    > won't start claiming drivers aren't providing the needed functions.
    >
    > This is configured for dualhead with independent resolutions.
    > Secondary display given only enough memory to run 32bit 1280x1024 @
    > 85hz.
    >
    > ...is it possible?

    No, it's not possible. Not only do you need a DirectX 9 card, but one
    that's fast and with at least 128MB of RAM. The Parhelia is far too slow
    (and has inadequate DX9 support). The G550? No way.

    Based on reviews, I wouldn't recommend anything slower than an ATI 9600XT
    128MB for this game.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
    Arthur Hagen, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > "Noozer" <> wrote in message

    > > I know I'm wishing here, but...
    > >
    > > P4 @ 3Ghz and a gig of memory with a 16meg Matrox G550 card. Doom3

    won't
    > > start claiming drivers aren't providing the needed functions.
    > >
    > > This is configured for dualhead with independent resolutions. Secondary
    > > display given only enough memory to run 32bit 1280x1024 @ 85hz.
    > >
    > > ...is it possible?

    > No. Doom3 requires DX9 support, and the G550 doesn't
    > have it, even via software emulation.

    I figured as much... This is the wifes machine and she NEEDS reliable
    dualhead. Guess no Doom3 for her.

    The game is pretty dissappointing anyhow.

    Thanks!
    Noozer, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Noozer

    Rick Guest

    "Noozer" <> wrote in message news:Td7Rc.35492$gE.34603@pd7tw3no...

    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > > "Noozer" <> wrote in message

    > > > I know I'm wishing here, but...
    > > >
    > > > P4 @ 3Ghz and a gig of memory with a 16meg Matrox G550 card. Doom3

    > won't
    > > > start claiming drivers aren't providing the needed functions.
    > > >
    > > > This is configured for dualhead with independent resolutions. Secondary
    > > > display given only enough memory to run 32bit 1280x1024 @ 85hz.
    > > >
    > > > ...is it possible?

    > > No. Doom3 requires DX9 support, and the G550 doesn't
    > > have it, even via software emulation.

    > I figured as much... This is the wifes machine and she NEEDS reliable
    > dualhead. Guess no Doom3 for her.
    >
    > The game is pretty dissappointing anyhow.
    >
    > Thanks!

    One option might be to switch to an older dual head G450
    PCI card, and then add a high-end AGP DX9 card for
    Doom3.

    PCI G450's aren't going for very much on eBay, e.g.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5114270688

    Rick
    Rick, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Noozer

    Ender.Wiggin Guest

    > I don't think Matrox cards, even the exalted Parhelia, can handle
    > Doom3. There are beta drivers available from Matrox for the P650 and
    > up that claim DX9 support. But the fact that Matrox apparently isn't
    > continuing work on them makes me suspect they have insolvable
    > problems.

    I have seen DOOM3 running on a Matrox Parhelia 128MB card using the
    same beta driver and it does indeed run but rather slow at 640 x 480.
    For today's gaming needs, buy ATI or Nvidia based products.

    The only insolvable problem is that people are trying to run software
    on hardware that does not support it. It is not that hard to
    comprehend. Kind of like putting unleaded gas in your engine that runs
    on leaded gas. DirectX 9.x requires hardware to run all these effects
    in the games, and the current line of Matrox graphics cards simply do
    not support them.
    Ender.Wiggin, Aug 12, 2004
  9. Noozer

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    Ender.Wiggin <> wrote:

    > I have seen DOOM3 running on a Matrox Parhelia 128MB card using the
    > same beta driver and it does indeed run but rather slow at 640 x 480.
    > For today's gaming needs, buy ATI or Nvidia based products.

    I put in an ATI 9600XT in my machine yesterday, so I could play Doom 3
    better than with the Parhelia-128R. And yes, it is faster. But the card is
    going out again. I find that the ATI card is problematic compared to the
    Matrox Parhelia, at least for anything *except* playing the latest games.

    - When using two independent monitors, you can only get Direct3D on *one*
    monitor.
    - When the card gets warm, higher resolutions start shaking.
    - The gamma curve is higher order, and not a predictable one you can easily
    adjust with a single value. You can choose between distinguishing dark
    colours and distinguishing midtones, but can't get both.
    - There's no video overlay on a second monitor.
    - You can't even drag windows using overlay between monitors.
    - Whenever opening display properties, at least one of the monitors will
    shake wildly and draw horisontal black flickering lines for a second or so.
    - There's no way to add "missing" resolutions, or delete ones you don't
    want.

    Many of the above problems are presumably because the cards only have a
    single RAMDAC, but some seems to be because the card is cheaply made, with
    only a single thing in mind: Gaming.

    > The only insolvable problem is that people are trying to run software
    > on hardware that does not support it. It is not that hard to
    > comprehend. Kind of like putting unleaded gas in your engine that runs
    > on leaded gas. DirectX 9.x requires hardware to run all these effects
    > in the games, and the current line of Matrox graphics cards simply do
    > not support them.

    True, but on the other hand, they support a lot of things that a gaming card
    doesn't support. Just the inability to watch TV on my 17" monitor while
    working on the 19" is enough that the 9600XT goes out again, only to be used
    as a spare.

    --
    *Art
    Arthur Hagen, Aug 13, 2004
  10. Noozer

    J. Clarke Guest

    Arthur Hagen wrote:

    > Ender.Wiggin <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I have seen DOOM3 running on a Matrox Parhelia 128MB card using the
    >> same beta driver and it does indeed run but rather slow at 640 x 480.
    >> For today's gaming needs, buy ATI or Nvidia based products.

    > I put in an ATI 9600XT in my machine yesterday, so I could play Doom 3
    > better than with the Parhelia-128R. And yes, it is faster. But the card
    > is
    > going out again. I find that the ATI card is problematic compared to the
    > Matrox Parhelia, at least for anything *except* playing the latest games.
    >
    > - When using two independent monitors, you can only get Direct3D on *one*
    > monitor.
    > - When the card gets warm, higher resolutions start shaking.

    How high is "higher"? Have you tried additional cooling?

    > - The gamma curve is higher order, and not a predictable one you can
    > easily
    > adjust with a single value. You can choose between distinguishing dark
    > colours and distinguishing midtones, but can't get both.
    > - There's no video overlay on a second monitor.
    > - You can't even drag windows using overlay between monitors.
    > - Whenever opening display properties, at least one of the monitors will
    > shake wildly and draw horisontal black flickering lines for a second or
    > so.

    That is not normal.

    > - There's no way to add "missing" resolutions, or delete ones you don't
    > want.

    Third party utility called "powerstrip".

    > Many of the above problems are presumably because the cards only have a
    > single RAMDAC, but some seems to be because the card is cheaply made, with
    > only a single thing in mind: Gaming.

    Uh, a Parhelia costs approximately 3 times what a 9600XT costs. I think it
    is unreasonable to expect the same quality of secondary components. You
    migh want to try a Fire GL T2.

    >> The only insolvable problem is that people are trying to run software
    >> on hardware that does not support it. It is not that hard to
    >> comprehend. Kind of like putting unleaded gas in your engine that runs
    >> on leaded gas. DirectX 9.x requires hardware to run all these effects
    >> in the games, and the current line of Matrox graphics cards simply do
    >> not support them.

    > True, but on the other hand, they support a lot of things that a gaming
    > card
    > doesn't support. Just the inability to watch TV on my 17" monitor while
    > working on the 19" is enough that the 9600XT goes out again, only to be
    > used as a spare.

    ?????? Why are you unable to watch TV on your 17" monitor while working on
    the 19"? That mode of operation works very nicely on all current ATI
    boards. In display settings, look at "overlay".

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Aug 13, 2004
  11. Noozer

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    J. Clarke <> wrote:
    > Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >
    >> True, but on the other hand, they support a lot of things that a
    >> gaming card
    >> doesn't support. Just the inability to watch TV on my 17" monitor
    >> while working on the 19" is enough that the 9600XT goes out again,
    >> only to be used as a spare.

    > ?????? Why are you unable to watch TV on your 17" monitor while
    > working on the 19"? That mode of operation works very nicely on all
    > current ATI boards. In display settings, look at "overlay".

    Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with different
    monitor sizes and resolution.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
    Arthur Hagen, Aug 13, 2004
  12. Noozer

    J. Clarke Guest

    Arthur Hagen wrote:

    > J. Clarke <> wrote:
    >> Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >>
    >>> True, but on the other hand, they support a lot of things that a
    >>> gaming card
    >>> doesn't support. Just the inability to watch TV on my 17" monitor
    >>> while working on the 19" is enough that the 9600XT goes out again,
    >>> only to be used as a spare.

    >> ?????? Why are you unable to watch TV on your 17" monitor while
    >> working on the 19"? That mode of operation works very nicely on all
    >> current ATI boards. In display settings, look at "overlay".

    > Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with different
    > monitor sizes and resolution.

    Works fine for me.

    J. Clarke, Aug 13, 2004
  13. Noozer

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    J. Clarke <> wrote:
    > Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >
    >> Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with
    >> different monitor sizes and resolution.

    > Works fine for me.

    Care to give me a rundown on how you achieve this?

    I open an app that uses overlay (PCTV Vision, Windows Media Player,
    Intervideo WinDVD, doesn't matter), and I only get one window, on my main
    monitor.
    I can't even drag the app over to the other monitor, cause apps using
    overlay seems to be limited by the driver to stay on one monitor. Thus it
    is worse than not having overlay at all!

    Catalyst drivers version 4.7

    The "Clone Mode Options" are greyed out, with a notice stating:

    These overlay settings are only available in dual-controller
    Clone mode, and not single-display or extended desktop
    configurations.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
    Arthur Hagen, Aug 13, 2004
  14. Noozer

    J. Clarke Guest

    Arthur Hagen wrote:

    > J. Clarke <> wrote:
    >> Arthur Hagen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with
    >>> different monitor sizes and resolution.

    >> Works fine for me.

    > Care to give me a rundown on how you achieve this?
    >
    > I open an app that uses overlay (PCTV Vision, Windows Media Player,
    > Intervideo WinDVD, doesn't matter), and I only get one window, on my main
    > monitor.
    > I can't even drag the app over to the other monitor, cause apps using
    > overlay seems to be limited by the driver to stay on one monitor. Thus it
    > is worse than not having overlay at all!
    >
    > Catalyst drivers version 4.7
    >
    > The "Clone Mode Options" are greyed out, with a notice stating:
    >
    > These overlay settings are only available in dual-controller
    > Clone mode, and not single-display or extended desktop
    > configurations.

    It's simple--you enable clone mode and then turn on theater mode. The fact
    that the monitors have different resolutions doesn't matter in that mode.
    If you want an extended desktop, when you're done watching TV go back to
    extended desktop.

    It could be more convenient, I admit.

    Incidentally, the reason you can't drag to the second monitor is that video
    overlay other than theater mode is supported only on the primary monitor.
    If you want video on the second monitor and an extended desktop then set
    the second monitor as primary and use Hydravision to control which apps
    open where.

    J. Clarke, Aug 13, 2004