    On bios and winXP the max capacity read is 33...Mb
    i upgrade the bios with the last beta of 2003
    thanx
    devilo, Jun 2, 2010

  2. devilo

    Paul Guest

    devilo wrote:
    > Someone tell me if the motherboard in object is compatible with a samsung HD
    > 120gb.
    > On bios and winXP the max capacity read is 33...Mb
    > i upgrade the bios with the last beta of 2003
    > thanx

    This looks like a relatively modern motherboard.

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1308#sp

    Verify the jumper plug settings on the back of the Samsung
    hard drive. You may have inadvertently plugged a jumper
    onto two pins that "clip" the drive geometry.

    For example, I can find a picture on this web page.

    http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa...1&PG_ID=1&PROD_SUB_ID=26&PROD_ID=0&AT_ID=8565

    This is the picture I'm interested in. it shows jumper settings.

    http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/customer/common/images/namo/2007/12/08/hdd jumper block.jpg

    There is a 2x4 block of pins. Placing a jumper on pins 5-6,
    would cause the geometry reported by the drive to indicate
    the capacity was "33GB". I suspect you have that jumper
    in place. Removing the jumper, should restore the capacity,
    as viewed in the BIOS screen.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 2, 2010

  3. devilo

    devilo Guest

    OK, i've attach only 120Gb hd and the bios recognize the correct capacity
    but when i finished install winXP and relative driver after a restart obtain
    an error message on file
    nfts.sys corrupt or missing and the pc never start!!!
    u have idea?
    new thanx

    devilo, Jun 5, 2010
  4. devilo

    Paul Guest

    devilo wrote:
    > OK, i've attach only 120Gb hd and the bios recognize the correct capacity
    > but when i finished install winXP and relative driver after a restart obtain
    > an error message on file
    > nfts.sys corrupt or missing and the pc never start!!!
    > u have idea?
    > new thanx

    Have you done basic testing on your computer, to verify the hardware
    is working properly ?

    Try memtest86+ from memtest.org . Prepare the boot media, then boot the
    computer with the memtest86+ floppy (or other media type). Complete at least
    2 passes of the entire test. No errors are acceptable. If you're seeing
    memory errors reported, there could be a problem with the RAM.

    If your memory is working, you can also test the hard drive with the manufacturer's
    diagnostic.

    This is a tool for testing the hard drive.

    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

    You might also consider doing a low level format (which isn't really a low
    level format), and then install the WinXP OS again after it is finished.

    If you don't want to use the Samsung tool to scrub the disk, you can use
    something like the Secure Erase program, which should overwrite every
    sector on the disk. You must read *all* the documentation before using
    this, such as the password issue. If any passwords are involved, write
    the password down on a sticky label and paste it on the drive for safe
    keeping.

    http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

    *******

    I can find some references to that error, and the repair procedure seems to involve
    copying a fresh file in place of the corrupted one. But since you just finished
    installing your OS, I'm thinking that this is not the answer. Something must
    be wrong with the computer itself, for it to be failing so soon. Which is
    why I would test the computer parts first, to insure they are working correctly.

    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...ssing-or-corrupt-ntfssys-error-in-windows-xp/

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531

    There is another kind of NTFS problem here, but this doesn't
    match your current symptom description.

    "ntfs.sys blue screen 0x00000024"
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352-2.html

    HTH,