    the heatsink (it is impossible to measure accurately without removing
    the motherboard from the computer, which is a lot of work).

    Thanks
    Barry Watzman, Jul 14, 2009

  2. Barry Watzman

    Paul Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > My GA-965P-DS3 has just recently become unstable. I am pretty sure that
    > the problem is thermal and, now, that the Northbridge (chipset, MCH) is
    > over heating. This board has only a heatsink and it is BLISTERINGLY hot.
    >
    > I want to add a fan to the existing heatsink or replace the existing
    > heatsink with a heatsink/fan.
    >
    > The heatsink is held to the board with 2 holes in the board and those
    > plastic pins that go into the board and then expand on the backside of
    > the board.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good fan or heat sink/fan?
    >
    > Does anyone know the spacing of the two [diagonally opposite] holes for
    > the heatsink (it is impossible to measure accurately without removing
    > the motherboard from the computer, which is a lot of work).
    >
    > Thanks

    Clip can handle a range of center to center spacings. (Use a Flash enabled
    browser.)

    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_p.../hr05_ifx/install_chitset_cooler_hr05_ifx.htm

    Listed as compatible here.
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/chipset/hr05_ifx/05-09-mcl.htm

    Review.
    http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/misc-coolers/thermalright-hr-05ifx/2/

    I can't find a drawing that shows the range of center to center spacings
    the bracket can handle. Which leaves you at the mercy of their
    compatibility chart.

    You can see more examples here.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40...ipset_HeatsinksCoolers-Northbridge-Page1.html

    A cooler like this, would likely end up turned on an angle,
    to handle the hole placement. And because this doesn't have
    heatpipes, the performance can't be nearly as good. Heatpipes
    do make a difference (at least, until they leak).

    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx159-CU.asp

    The SLI version of the IFX, is offset a bit. Whereas the
    vanilla IFX, the heatsink is centered over its base.

    And if you needed to measure the center to center spacing, you
    could take some cardboard (a cereal box), cut a U shaped outline
    to fit over the heatsink, and then use a pen to mark on the
    cardboard, the center-to-center. Then measure at your convenience.

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Image/motherboard_productimage_ga-965p-ds3_big.jpg

    If you want a solvent kit, for heatsink cleanup, you can try something
    like this. Apparently, you go through one of the solvents much faster
    than the other. Between that, and the bottle of Isopropyl in your
    medicine cabinet, you'll be all set.

    Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

    If there is enough exhaust air from the CPU cooler, blowing
    through the new Northbridge cooler fins, then you might not
    even need a fan.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 14, 2009

  3. Thanks. I had a new but ancient (ANCIENT) CPU cooler (probably PENTIUM
    ***ONE*** ... or even 486 !!) with a small fan. I removed the fan, and
    removed the factory heatsink. I then drilled some holes in the factory
    heatsink and mounted the fan with some self tapping sheet metal screws
    into the holes I had just drilled. So now I have the factory heatsink,
    but with a fan, and the problem seems to have been solved.

    Not, however, before I had bought a Core i7, 6GB of DDR3 memory and a
    new Core i7 motherboard. [it's tough to hold back the tears ....] [the
    motherboard won't arrive for a few more days]

    FWIW ....

    If you live near a "Micro Center" store, they have Core i7-920's on sale
    this month for $199. IN-STORE ONLY, no mail orders, limit 1 per
    HOUSEHOLD (not sure that they are enforcing that very rigidly). Note,
    they do sell out fairly often, but they also get them back in stock.
    Sale is supposed to last the entire month of July (not sure if they are
    giving "rain checks" or not).

    Also, the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R is a very good Core i7 motherboard and
    it's relatively inexpensive (zipzoomfly has it for about $170 after a
    $15 rebate).

    Barry Watzman, Jul 15, 2009