    (2000)...I get regular occuring blue screens in 32bit Vista Ultimate.

    Am I asking too much for this memory to work at the rated speed in this
    motherboard???

    James, Jun 15, 2009

  2. James

    Paul Guest

    James wrote:
    > I ordered Kingston HyperX 1GB KHX16000D3K3/3GX (DDR3 2000) x3 according
    > to the mfg's QVL along with my UD4P motherboard. My problem is that the
    > motherboard (with F8 BIOS) sets the memory frequency to 1066 by
    > default...rather than 2000. My system is very stable here...no BSOD. But
    > whenever I set the BIOS to the appropriate memory/timing/voltage speed
    > (2000)...I get regular occuring blue screens in 32bit Vista Ultimate.
    >
    > Am I asking too much for this memory to work at the rated speed in this
    > motherboard???

    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX16000D3K3_3GX.pdf

    You could try "sneaking up on it". Experiment with ever higher
    settings, to see how far it will go. At those speeds, you're
    in "tweak country". Use the full 1.65V, to give the memory
    as much assistance as possible. (1.65V is the Intel stated limit,
    and other people have other opinions.)

    To a small extent, the max memory speed will be determined by
    your processor, as the memory controller is built-in to
    the processor on Core i7. Intel has tested and guaranteed some
    lower value for the speed, so who knows whether every processor
    will push three channels at DDR3-2000.

    For example, this table shows DDR3-1066 as the test point.
    Running at DDR3-2000 is a fair leap above 1066.

    http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specifications.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 15, 2009

  3. James

    James Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message:

    > http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX16000D3K3_3GX.pdf
    >
    > You could try "sneaking up on it". Experiment with ever higher
    > settings, to see how far it will go. At those speeds, you're
    > in "tweak country". Use the full 1.65V, to give the memory
    > as much assistance as possible. (1.65V is the Intel stated limit,
    > and other people have other opinions.)
    >
    > To a small extent, the max memory speed will be determined by
    > your processor, as the memory controller is built-in to
    > the processor on Core i7. Intel has tested and guaranteed some
    > lower value for the speed, so who knows whether every processor
    > will push three channels at DDR3-2000.
    >
    > For example, this table shows DDR3-1066 as the test point.
    > Running at DDR3-2000 is a fair leap above 1066.
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specifications.htm
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestion...and stay at or below 1.65V
    in the process.

    But I'm trying something a little different right now. I've up'd the base
    clock to 150MHz and set the memory mult. to 10 (1500MHz memory freq.)...and
    no BSOD as yet. Pretty amazing. Better Passmark scores. But it has only been
    a couple of hours. I'll leave it run all night tonight with these settings.
    Sheesh, it's getting warm in this room right now! ;c)

    -james

    (BTW, this is my first Gigabyte mb. I've been an Asus man for the last 15
    years. In fact, I almost bought the P6T Deluxe V2, but a friend talked me
    into the Gigabyte board...he said "I wouldn't regret it")

    GA-EX58-UD4P w/ i7 920
    3GB Kingston PC3 16000 triple channel
    Sapphire 4850 X2 1GB Video Card
    Corsair 620 HX Power supply

    James, Jun 15, 2009
  4. James

    Paul Guest

    James wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message:
    >
    >> http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX16000D3K3_3GX.pdf
    >>
    >> You could try "sneaking up on it". Experiment with ever higher
    >> settings, to see how far it will go. At those speeds, you're
    >> in "tweak country". Use the full 1.65V, to give the memory
    >> as much assistance as possible. (1.65V is the Intel stated limit,
    >> and other people have other opinions.)
    >>
    >> To a small extent, the max memory speed will be determined by
    >> your processor, as the memory controller is built-in to
    >> the processor on Core i7. Intel has tested and guaranteed some
    >> lower value for the speed, so who knows whether every processor
    >> will push three channels at DDR3-2000.
    >>
    >> For example, this table shows DDR3-1066 as the test point.
    >> Running at DDR3-2000 is a fair leap above 1066.
    >>
    >> http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/specifications.htm
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestion...and stay at or below
    > 1.65V in the process.
    >
    > But I'm trying something a little different right now. I've up'd the
    > base clock to 150MHz and set the memory mult. to 10 (1500MHz memory
    > freq.)...and no BSOD as yet. Pretty amazing. Better Passmark scores. But
    > it has only been a couple of hours. I'll leave it run all night tonight
    > with these settings. Sheesh, it's getting warm in this room right now! ;c)
    >
    > -james
    >
    > (BTW, this is my first Gigabyte mb. I've been an Asus man for the last
    > 15 years. In fact, I almost bought the P6T Deluxe V2, but a friend
    > talked me into the Gigabyte board...he said "I wouldn't regret it")
    >
    > GA-EX58-UD4P w/ i7 920
    > 3GB Kingston PC3 16000 triple channel
    > Sapphire 4850 X2 1GB Video Card
    > Corsair 620 HX Power supply

    Do you double check with CPUZ ? DDR3-2000 should show a
    1000MHz clock (you have to multiply the CPUZ value
    by two, as a rule).

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    Example here, of some DDR3-2000 and CPUZ.

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-blade-ddr3-2000-cas7-memory-review/7

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 15, 2009
  5. The answer to this is surprisingly simple.

    There is no Jedec standard for speeds above 1066MHz. By default, the
    board reads the Jedec standard information from the SPD ROM on the
    memory chip, which gives the 1066 speed, and that's the way it runs. By
    default.

    Recognizing that this is industrial strength stupid, Intel and the
    memory makers created a non Jedec standard called XMP. Somewhere in
    your BIOS settings there is a place to enable XMP. Presto chango, it's
    like magic, and now your system will run .... RELIABLY .... at 1600MHz.
    DO NOT change anything else or set your timings manually (at least not
    initially). Just turn on XMP and all will be well. Later, if you want
    to try overclocking from there (at a very high risk of reduced
    stability), you can have at it. But it's likely that turning on XMP
    will do all that you want.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 15, 2009
  6. James

    James Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message:

    > The answer to this is surprisingly simple.
    >
    > There is no Jedec standard for speeds above 1066MHz. By default, the
    > board reads the Jedec standard information from the SPD ROM on the memory
    > chip, which gives the 1066 speed, and that's the way it runs. By default.
    >
    > Recognizing that this is industrial strength stupid, Intel and the memory
    > makers created a non Jedec standard called XMP. Somewhere in your BIOS
    > settings there is a place to enable XMP. Presto chango, it's like magic,
    > and now your system will run .... RELIABLY .... at 1600MHz. DO NOT change
    > anything else or set your timings manually (at least not initially). Just
    > turn on XMP and all will be well. Later, if you want to try overclocking
    > from there (at a very high risk of reduced stability), you can have at it.
    > But it's likely that turning on XMP will do all that you want.

    Thank you Barry. But this too brings on the BSOD.

    The BIOS refers to this as "Xtreme Memory Profile." It basically allows me
    two settings called profile 1 and profile 2. Profile 1 takes me to a memory
    frequency of 2002MHz with the appropriate voltage and timing. Profile 2
    takes me to 1867MHz which also brings about the dredded BSOD. And it does
    this with my base clock set to the default 133MHz. Essentially, everything
    is set to BIOS defaults except XMP.

    For whatever reason(s), my system will not allow me to use the XMP profiles
    without becoming unstable. I'm not sure what to blame here...memory or
    motherboard, as both are new and I don't have any other memory to
    substitute. What would you do? Should I exchange the memory...or the
    motherboard? The reason I ask is because now is the time to do this. I have
    only had the new hardware for less than a week and Newegg will only allow
    exchanges within a small window of time.

    Just a note about my trial of the base clock set to 150 and the memory
    multiplier set to 10x. The machine ran all of last night without incident.
    I.e., the machine never rebooted and appeared to be working fine when I got
    up this morning.

    james

    James, Jun 15, 2009
  7. James

    James Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message:

    > Do you double check with CPUZ ? DDR3-2000 should show a
    > 1000MHz clock (you have to multiply the CPUZ value
    > by two, as a rule).
    >
    > http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    >
    > Example here, of some DDR3-2000 and CPUZ.
    >
    > http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-blade-ddr3-2000-cas7-memory-review/7
    >
    > Paul

    CPUID shows 750MHz right now. That's because I'm running at 1500MHz. But the
    timing matches the XMP profiles with the exception of tRC being at 24
    instead of 42 or 45. I could try setting tRC to match and then see how it
    affects the Passmark score. But like I said, the system is running
    flawlessly (for 17 hours now) with the current base clock at 150. I'm going
    to try pushing this a little bit more in time. But I may have to buy a
    different heat sink for the CPU if I want to get 3.8GHz to 4.1GHz. My
    current CPU temps (at 3.0GHz) are running around 53 degrees C at idle. As
    for the memory, I'm not sure why it won't run reliably at 2000. I paid extra
    for these because of that. I'm thinking about exchanging them.
    Unfortunately, these are the only triple channel modules that the
    motherboard QVL says will work at 2000Mhz.

    james

    James, Jun 15, 2009
  8. Are you trying to overclock? I don't have enough information about your
    system to make a suggestion, but if you are trying to overclock, you
    will get no sympathy from me. However, for the purposes of this
    discussion, I do not consider using XMP mode to be ovclocking (as long
    as all of the other speeds are on spec and not overclocked).

    Barry Watzman, Jun 20, 2009
  9. James

    James Guest

    "Barry Watzman" wrote in message :

    > Are you trying to overclock? I don't have enough information about your
    > system to make a suggestion, but if you are trying to overclock, you will
    > get no sympathy from me. However, for the purposes of this discussion, I
    > do not consider using XMP mode to be ovclocking (as long as all of the
    > other speeds are on spec and not overclocked).

    Hi Barry, my point is that these (QVL approved) 1GB Kingston DDR3 2000 are
    junk! They will NOT run at XMP speeds on *my* GA-EX58-UD4P with all other
    BIOS settings at their default. I get bluescreens using either profile. If
    you look on Newegg, you will see similar complaints.

    As for overclocking...I'm not looking for sympathy. I know the risks.

    James

    James, Jun 20, 2009