GA-M57SLI-S4 - Bad SATA controller?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Ricky Smith, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. Ricky Smith

    Ricky Smith Guest

    I have 2 500GB hard drives, one with Windows XP, the other with
    Windows Vista. Both drives (when plugged in stand alone using
    different SATA cables into different SATA ports) exhibit the same
    symptoms.

    Windows, after a short time after boot, will experience a "drive
    freeze" where all hard drive activity completely stops (drive is not
    spinning at all). Windows is still functional, in that any
    applications already loaded continue to function, but any task
    requiring disk activity will not operate, instead will freeze.

    Ever since I built this computer I've had occasional issues, but this
    is the first time I've been able to eliminate bad drives and windows
    issues as the cause and it's never been this bad. It started this bad
    a few days ago. It has also frozen during a low-level virus scan which
    was performed without windows (at boot).

    Does this sound like it could be a bad SATA controller? Any insight
    and/or advice you could give me to help identify/repair the issue
    would be most appreciated.
    Ricky Smith, Oct 8, 2008

  2. "Ricky Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I have 2 500GB hard drives, one with Windows XP, the other with
    > Windows Vista. Both drives (when plugged in stand alone using
    > different SATA cables into different SATA ports) exhibit the same
    > symptoms.
    >
    > Windows, after a short time after boot, will experience a "drive
    > freeze" where all hard drive activity completely stops (drive is not
    > spinning at all). Windows is still functional, in that any
    > applications already loaded continue to function, but any task
    > requiring disk activity will not operate, instead will freeze.
    >
    > Ever since I built this computer I've had occasional issues, but this
    > is the first time I've been able to eliminate bad drives and windows
    > issues as the cause and it's never been this bad. It started this bad
    > a few days ago. It has also frozen during a low-level virus scan which
    > was performed without windows (at boot).
    >
    > Does this sound like it could be a bad SATA controller? Any insight
    > and/or advice you could give me to help identify/repair the issue
    > would be most appreciated.

    Had problems myself and got the same board. Not sure but it's not up to
    Gigabytes usual quality stuff. Had issues with a GA5-AX and seems to have
    passed on to this generation, even if it is old.

    I have other problems though such as freezes, followed by a Flash Rom read
    protected mode and then BSOD on bootup. IDE hdd wanting to push past SATA
    when SATA is set for bootup. But yeah, don't think I be getting another
    gigabyte board. This was my fourth-fifth one in a row but enough's enough
    really.

    --
    Skipai
    Individual.Net, Oct 8, 2008