GA-MA78G-DS3H doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Frank, Jun 7, 2008.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hi there,

    all brand new:
    - Mainboard GA-MA78G-DS3H
    - CPU Athlon 64X2 6400+
    - 2x Geil-DDR2-800 each with 2GB
    - Enermax Pro82+ 385W

    Everything installed along with new hard drives and new DVD burner.
    Turned on power:
    - case fan starts
    - CPU fan starts
    - case Power LED lights up
    - no video! neither on VGA nor on DVI

    Pulled off all unnecessary plugs (SATA, USB, Reset SW, Floppy, Audio)
    => same reaction, 3 fans start, no video signal.
    Attached a speaker to FrontPanel-SpeakerHeader: no beep!

    What is it? CPU? Board? Both?

    Any hint warmly welcomed
    Frank

    Frank, Jun 7, 2008

  2. Frank

    Paul Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > all brand new:
    > - Mainboard GA-MA78G-DS3H
    > - CPU Athlon 64X2 6400+
    > - 2x Geil-DDR2-800 each with 2GB
    > - Enermax Pro82+ 385W
    >
    > Everything installed along with new hard drives and new DVD burner.
    > Turned on power:
    > - case fan starts
    > - CPU fan starts
    > - case Power LED lights up
    > - no video! neither on VGA nor on DVI
    >
    > Pulled off all unnecessary plugs (SATA, USB, Reset SW, Floppy, Audio)
    > => same reaction, 3 fans start, no video signal.
    > Attached a speaker to FrontPanel-SpeakerHeader: no beep!
    >
    > What is it? CPU? Board? Both?
    >
    > Any hint warmly welcomed
    > Frank

    Both power cables installed ? No beeps could be
    a lack of CPU power, via the ATX 12V 2x2 power
    connector (two yellow wires +12V, two black wires GND).

    You need at least a CPU, CPU fan, and working BIOS
    chip, to allow a beep code for missing RAM or
    missing video. So you can strip out the RAM
    and try that as a test. If you got a repeating
    beep code, then you know the CPU executed some
    BIOS code, the CPU works and is powered.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 7, 2008

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On 8 Jun., 00:13, Paul <> wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    > > Hi there,

    > > all brand new:
    > > - Mainboard GA-MA78G-DS3H
    > > - CPU Athlon 64X2 6400+
    > > - 2x Geil-DDR2-800 each with 2GB
    > > - Enermax Pro82+ 385W

    > > Everything installed along with new hard drives and new DVD burner.
    > > Turned on power:
    > > - case fan starts
    > > - CPU fan starts
    > > - case Power LED lights up
    > > - no video! neither on VGA nor on DVI

    > > Pulled off all unnecessary plugs (SATA, USB, Reset SW, Floppy, Audio)
    > > => same reaction, 3 fans start, no video signal.
    > > Attached a speaker to FrontPanel-SpeakerHeader: no beep!

    > > What is it? CPU? Board? Both?

    > > Any hint warmly welcomed
    > > Frank

    > Both power cables installed ? No beeps could be
    > a lack of CPU power, via the ATX 12V 2x2 power
    > connector (two yellow wires +12V, two black wires GND).
    >
    > You need at least a CPU, CPU fan, and working BIOS
    > chip, to allow a beep code for missing RAM or
    > missing video. So you can strip out the RAM
    > and try that as a test. If you got a repeating
    > beep code, then you know the CPU executed some
    > BIOS code, the CPU works and is powered.
    >
    > Paul

    Hi Paul,

    you seeded the solution: Pulling off both RAMs leads to some
    undefinable beeps. OK, what's happening, if you insert only one RAM
    bar? It works!! Everything works fine! Switching the bars still works.
    So, having 2 bars each with 2 GB RAM leads to "I'm dead". Having only
    one of them (regardless which one!) works! So far for a 16GB-
    mainboard.

    Thanks and bye
    Frank

    Frank, Jun 8, 2008
  4. Frank

    John7 Guest

    "Frank" <> schreef in bericht
    > On 8 Jun., 00:13, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:
    >> > Hi there,

    >> > all brand new:
    >> > - Mainboard GA-MA78G-DS3H
    >> > - CPU Athlon 64X2 6400+
    >> > - 2x Geil-DDR2-800 each with 2GB
    >> > - Enermax Pro82+ 385W

    >> > Everything installed along with new hard drives and new DVD burner.
    >> > Turned on power:
    >> > - case fan starts
    >> > - CPU fan starts
    >> > - case Power LED lights up
    >> > - no video! neither on VGA nor on DVI

    >> > Pulled off all unnecessary plugs (SATA, USB, Reset SW, Floppy, Audio)
    >> > => same reaction, 3 fans start, no video signal.
    >> > Attached a speaker to FrontPanel-SpeakerHeader: no beep!

    >> > What is it? CPU? Board? Both?

    >> > Any hint warmly welcomed
    >> > Frank

    >> Both power cables installed ? No beeps could be
    >> a lack of CPU power, via the ATX 12V 2x2 power
    >> connector (two yellow wires +12V, two black wires GND).
    >>
    >> You need at least a CPU, CPU fan, and working BIOS
    >> chip, to allow a beep code for missing RAM or
    >> missing video. So you can strip out the RAM
    >> and try that as a test. If you got a repeating
    >> beep code, then you know the CPU executed some
    >> BIOS code, the CPU works and is powered.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > you seeded the solution: Pulling off both RAMs leads to some
    > undefinable beeps. OK, what's happening, if you insert only one RAM
    > bar? It works!! Everything works fine! Switching the bars still works.
    > So, having 2 bars each with 2 GB RAM leads to "I'm dead". Having only
    > one of them (regardless which one!) works! So far for a 16GB-
    > mainboard.
    >
    > Thanks and bye
    > Frank

    Hi Frank,

    1. Check the motherboard manufacturer's RAM compatibility list.

    2. Consider raising RAM voltage in 0,05V steps.
    Use SIMMtest/DocMem software to check long term stability.
    DO NOT exceed RAM voltage spec by more than 0.2V.

    HTH,
    John7

    John7, Jun 12, 2008
  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On 13 Jun., 00:53, "John7" <> wrote:
    > "Frank" <> schreef in berichtnews:...

    > >> Both power cables installed ? No beeps could be
    > >> a lack of CPU power, via the ATX 12V 2x2 power
    > >> connector (two yellow wires +12V, two black wires GND).

    > >> You need at least a CPU, CPU fan, and working BIOS
    > >> chip, to allow a beep code for missing RAM or
    > >> missing video. So you can strip out the RAM
    > >> and try that as a test. If you got a repeating
    > >> beep code, then you know the CPU executed some
    > >> BIOS code, the CPU works and is powered.

    > >> Paul

    > > Hi Paul,

    > > you seeded the solution: Pulling off both RAMs leads to some
    > > undefinable beeps. OK, what's happening, if you insert only one RAM
    > > bar? It works!! Everything works fine! Switching the bars still works.
    > > So, having 2 bars each with 2 GB RAM leads to "I'm dead". Having only
    > > one of them (regardless which one!) works! So far for a 16GB-
    > > mainboard.

    > > Thanks and bye
    > > Frank

    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > 1. Check the motherboard manufacturer's RAM compatibility list.
    >
    > 2. Consider raising RAM voltage in 0,05V steps.
    > Use SIMMtest/DocMem software to check long term stability.
    > DO NOT exceed RAM voltage spec by more than 0.2V.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John7

    Here it is: Insert one of the 2GB-bars, flash BIOS to the newest F3-
    Version. Afterwards it works with two 2GB-bars like it should. Maybe
    Gigabyte needs to improve their QA-measures....

    Thanks to Paul and John
    Frank

    Frank, Jun 15, 2008
  6. Frank

    Paul Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > On 13 Jun., 00:53, "John7" <> wrote:

    >>> Hi Paul,
    >>> you seeded the solution: Pulling off both RAMs leads to some
    >>> undefinable beeps. OK, what's happening, if you insert only one RAM
    >>> bar? It works!! Everything works fine! Switching the bars still works.
    >>> So, having 2 bars each with 2 GB RAM leads to "I'm dead". Having only
    >>> one of them (regardless which one!) works! So far for a 16GB-
    >>> mainboard.
    >>> Thanks and bye
    >>> Frank

    >> Hi Frank,
    >>
    >> 1. Check the motherboard manufacturer's RAM compatibility list.
    >>
    >> 2. Consider raising RAM voltage in 0,05V steps.
    >> Use SIMMtest/DocMem software to check long term stability.
    >> DO NOT exceed RAM voltage spec by more than 0.2V.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> John7

    > Here it is: Insert one of the 2GB-bars, flash BIOS to the newest F3-
    > Version. Afterwards it works with two 2GB-bars like it should. Maybe
    > Gigabyte needs to improve their QA-measures....
    >
    > Thanks to Paul and John
    > Frank

    This is a known issue, with some of the Gigabyte boards. And this is
    general advice for any motherboard. It takes about five BIOS releases,
    before they do a decent job at RAM compatibility. For the users who
    chart the results with each release, there is even a back and forth
    on performance (of the five releases, if your RAM works, you might
    notice significant changes in memory bandwidth). On some of the
    Gigabyte boards, the things eventually become bulletproof, after
    those BIOS releases come out.

    In terms of development cycles, the "A team" works on the board
    for the first few releases. Eventually, a "sustaining" team releases
    BIOSes later, for things such as adding CPUs for compatibility.
    Sometimes, the sustaining team release miserable BIOS, with new
    bugs introduced (perhaps even old bugs that were fixed, come back).
    So if you were to take the tenth BIOS release, and install it,
    that might be a step backwards.

    In any case, check forums, Newegg reviews, and the like, to get
    feedback on the latest BIOS, and whether it is a dog or not.

    On my Asus A7N8X-E board, the sustaining team released two really broken
    BIOS in a row. So it appears, management doesn't slap them, until
    they make a real mess.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 15, 2008
  7. Frank

    John7 Guest

    "Frank" <> schreef in bericht
    > On 13 Jun., 00:53, "John7" <> wrote:
    >> "Frank" <> schreef in
    >> berichtnews:...

    >> > Hi Paul,

    >> > you seeded the solution: Pulling off both RAMs leads to some
    >> > undefinable beeps. OK, what's happening, if you insert only one RAM
    >> > bar? It works!! Everything works fine! Switching the bars still works.
    >> > So, having 2 bars each with 2 GB RAM leads to "I'm dead". Having only
    >> > one of them (regardless which one!) works! So far for a 16GB-
    >> > mainboard.

    >> > Thanks and bye
    >> > Frank

    >> Hi Frank,
    >>
    >> 1. Check the motherboard manufacturer's RAM compatibility list.
    >>
    >> 2. Consider raising RAM voltage in 0,05V steps.
    >> Use SIMMtest/DocMem software to check long term stability.
    >> DO NOT exceed RAM voltage spec by more than 0.2V.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> John7

    > Here it is: Insert one of the 2GB-bars, flash BIOS to the newest F3-
    > Version. Afterwards it works with two 2GB-bars like it should. Maybe
    > Gigabyte needs to improve their QA-measures....
    >
    > Thanks to Paul and John
    > Frank

    Glad you solved it.
    I had to flash an Asus bios to get hyperthreading working
    while the release notes did not spend a single line on this.
    So updating bioses somethimes fix unmentioned problems :-O

    I you like to fiddle a bit more in the Gigabyte bios ...
    in bios main menu, press CTRL + F1.
    This enables advanced menu's and options, but beware!

    John7

    John7, Jun 17, 2008