GA-P35--DS3L how vary fan by CPU case temp?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Kris, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Kris

    Kris Guest

    Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that EasyTune
    does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the "cpu" temp which
    is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final. cputemp/casetemp is 56C
    per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7). I do wish I could vary it per the cpu case
    temp rather than the sensor on the mobo. I'll have the mobo apart tomorrow
    anyway when the new stuff arrives so I'll try to find the mobo sensor. I'm
    also going to try my old zalman tomorrow which blows down at the mobo and
    thus that sensor might get a bit more of the cpu heat..... maybe a heat
    conduit to the sensor?

    I also picked up a little zalman ZM-NB47J chipset HS for the NB thinking
    that it was hot, but stuck my probe into it today and it's been steady at
    45C with the HS that came with the mobo (as part of installing a mobo I
    normally remove the NB HS and redo the paste, so it's AS3 in there since
    that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.

    thoughts?
    tia
    --
    Kris
    -----
    Kris, Jan 17, 2008

  2. Kris

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Kris' wrote:
    | ...so it's AS3 in there since
    | that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.
    |
    | thoughts?
    _____

    Try butter; it will do nearly as well.

    And try rethinking your temperature reasoning.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jan 17, 2008

  3. Kris

    RobV Guest

    Kris wrote:
    > Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that
    > EasyTune does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the
    > "cpu" temp which is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final.
    > cputemp/casetemp is 56C per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7).

    [snip]

    Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU. In
    the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside each
    core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of your CPU's
    cores (under load, I should hope).
    RobV, Jan 17, 2008
  4. Kris

    Kris Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:17:56 -0500, RobV wrote:

    > Kris wrote:
    >> Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that
    >> EasyTune does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the
    >> "cpu" temp which is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final.
    >> cputemp/casetemp is 56C per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7).

    > [snip]
    >
    > Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU. In
    > the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside each
    > core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of your CPU's
    > cores (under load, I should hope).

    yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed. yes,
    it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at 45C (freezer7
    at the moment) When I swap cpus I'll take a very close look at the center
    of the socket... This is my first Intel venture and I'm used to the old
    AMD type boards with a little sensor on a bead bent up toward the cpu case
    so you could get a closer reading. The Intel 775 apparently has a couple
    of mills of air between the sensor and the cpu case.

    I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would be
    very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages set
    specifically, and watch my temps.
    --
    Kris
    -----
    Kris, Jan 17, 2008
  5. Kris

    Kris Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:06:28 -0500, Phil Weldon wrote:

    > 'Kris' wrote:
    >| ...so it's AS3 in there since
    >| that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.
    >|
    >| thoughts?
    > _____
    >
    > Try butter; it will do nearly as well.
    >
    > And try rethinking your temperature reasoning.
    >
    > Phil Weldon
    >
    > "Kris" <> wrote in message news:...
    >| Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that EasyTune
    >| does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the "cpu" temp
    > which
    >| is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final. cputemp/casetemp is 56C
    >| per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7). I do wish I could vary it per the cpu
    > case
    >| temp rather than the sensor on the mobo. I'll have the mobo apart
    > tomorrow
    >| anyway when the new stuff arrives so I'll try to find the mobo sensor.
    > I'm
    >| also going to try my old zalman tomorrow which blows down at the mobo and
    >| thus that sensor might get a bit more of the cpu heat..... maybe a heat
    >| conduit to the sensor?
    >|
    >| I also picked up a little zalman ZM-NB47J chipset HS for the NB thinking
    >| that it was hot, but stuck my probe into it today and it's been steady at
    >| 45C with the HS that came with the mobo (as part of installing a mobo I
    >| normally remove the NB HS and redo the paste, so it's AS3 in there since
    >| that's all I had. AS5 in shipment tomorrow, so I'll redo it.
    >|
    >| thoughts?
    >| tia
    >| --
    >| Kris
    >| -----
    >| GB GA-P35-DS3L, [in mail((E2200Alen 2.2g, Mushkin 2x1gb HP))],
    >| MSI NX8600GTS-OC 256mb, Audigy SE 24 bit,
    >| OnAir USB HDTV-GT with 5.1Dolby and Purevideo Silver,
    >| Raidmax RX530-SS psu, XP Pro SP 2

    I'll definitely remember that you recomended butter, Phil. Do you use
    dairy, or margerine? You must have an interesting smelling computer. How
    many seconds between cpu replacements? And how do you remove the carbon
    deposits from the copper core HS? (I suppose just lap it each time...
    what's another 20 thou)

    The AS3 that I had was the dregs in a tube that has been lying around here
    for years. They age well, but only to a point. Very little measurable
    difference between 3 and 5, I suspect, but it's what newegg sells, so...
    Kris, Jan 17, 2008
  6. Kris

    RobV Guest

    Kris wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:17:56 -0500, RobV wrote:
    >
    >> Kris wrote:
    >>> Playing with the little 1.6g until tomorrow, but noticing that
    >>> EasyTune does a right fine job of varying the cpu fan speed per the
    >>> "cpu" temp which is Winbond IT8718F temp2 per spedfan 4.33final.
    >>> cputemp/casetemp is 56C per "coretemp 0.96" (Freezer7).

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU.
    >> In the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside
    >> each core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of
    >> your CPU's cores (under load, I should hope).

    > yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed.
    > yes, it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at
    > 45C (freezer7 at the moment)

    Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Not a bad temp for 100% load.

    >When I swap cpus I'll take a very close
    > look at the center of the socket... This is my first Intel venture
    > and I'm used to the old AMD type boards with a little sensor on a
    > bead bent up toward the cpu case so you could get a closer reading.
    > The Intel 775 apparently has a couple of mills of air between the
    > sensor and the cpu case.

    I imagine that would depend on the motherboard. Like you, I've had AMD
    CPUs and MBs and always tried to get that thermistor right up against
    the CPU bottom. :) The Asus P5B and Core2 Duo I have now is my first
    Intel system in many years. It does not have a thermistor in the
    socket, but measures the temp from the core. The Coretemp program is
    nice, since it shows both cores, and is probably more accurate than the
    BIOS.

    > I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would
    > be very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages
    > set specifically, and watch my temps.

    Sounds like you're all set! Hope you get one that really overclocks
    well. Let us (TINU) know.
    RobV, Jan 17, 2008
  7. Kris

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Kris' wrote, in part:
    | This is my first Intel venture and I'm used to the old
    | AMD type boards with a little sensor on a bead bent up toward the cpu case
    | so you could get a closer reading. The Intel 775 apparently has a couple
    | of mills of air between the sensor and the cpu case.

    Intel CPUs have on-CPU-die temperature sensors, so there is no thermistor
    'under the CPU socket' on motherboards for Intel CPUs.

    And yes, butter does work as a thermal paste (I tested unsalted Land 'o
    Lakes 98% butterfat.) Butter is runny at CPU temperatures, attracts bugs,
    and goes rancid, but otherwise is about as good as Arctic Silver or any
    other thermal paste. Just as Arctic Silver is about as good as any other
    thermal paste, Radio Shack zinc oxide loaded silicone grease, for example.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jan 17, 2008
  8. Kris

    Kris Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:29:52 -0500, RobV wrote:

    > Kris wrote:

    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> Coretemp measures the temp inside each core of a multiple core CPU.
    >>> In the case of the Intel Core2 Duo, it's read from directly inside
    >>> each core. That 56C isn't CPU/Case temp, it's the temp of each of
    >>> your CPU's cores (under load, I should hope).

    >> yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed.
    >> yes, it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at
    >> 45C (freezer7 at the moment)

    > Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Not a bad temp for 100% load.
    >
    >>When I swap cpus I'll take a very close
    >> look at the center of the socket... This is my first Intel venture
    >> and I'm used to the old AMD type boards with a little sensor on a
    >> bead bent up toward the cpu case so you could get a closer reading.
    >> The Intel 775 apparently has a couple of mills of air between the
    >> sensor and the cpu case.

    > I imagine that would depend on the motherboard. Like you, I've had AMD
    > CPUs and MBs and always tried to get that thermistor right up against
    > the CPU bottom. :) The Asus P5B and Core2 Duo I have now is my first
    > Intel system in many years. It does not have a thermistor in the
    > socket, but measures the temp from the core. The Coretemp program is
    > nice, since it shows both cores, and is probably more accurate than the
    > BIOS.
    >
    >> I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would
    >> be very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages
    >> set specifically, and watch my temps.

    > Sounds like you're all set! Hope you get one that really overclocks
    > well. Let us (TINU) know.

    problem. coppied from my post to ocforums...
    """prob ocing past 220 with good memory...
    With 2x1gb Mushkin HP also with OCZ platinum ver2 2x1gb (both were 800) :

    running Prime 95: Using EasyTune to raise cpu and mem:

    bsod and/or blank screen often accompanied by an error in Prime just before
    it does that:

    at 219/876. If I increase northbridge voltage GMCH to +0.3, it happens at
    221/884

    Odly, I had some cheapie Patriot 667 2x1gb and I was easily able to oc that
    to 270/1080 .

    I have played with the DDR voltage since both Mushkin and OCZ take 2.1.

    HELP!!!!!

    tia!!!!! (been talking with Mushkin rep quite a bit, but no solution)"""

    - - - - -

    So, yes, I will go back over to MicroCenter tomorrow and try to get some
    Patriot Signature 800 memory to try.

    I tried my old zalman 7000cu HS and it seems to work about as well as the
    Freezer7. Besides, the Freezer7 ran into my NB HS. I AM looking for a
    better solution......... I returned the Freezer7. and the 1.6cpu.

    At idle coretemp says 43 43. speedfan says Intel core0&1 are 28 28.
    With Prime95 it's 59 59 and 45 45 roughly. No oc.

    Meantime did Win XP repair install to give it support for a dual core,
    which went fine. Found "si meter" which seems to do a nice job of metering
    stuff.

    If anyone has any idea what the heck is up, please let me know!!!!! :eek:)

    --
    Kris
    -----
    Kris, Jan 18, 2008
  9. Kris

    Kris Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500, Kris wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:29:52 -0500, RobV wrote:
    >
    >> Kris wrote:

    >>> yeah, that was with 1.6 (a 420) -> 1.99 and prime 95 running mixed.
    >>> yes, it's the temp of the core (only 1 now, 2 tomorrow)it idles at
    >>> 45C (freezer7 at the moment)

    >> Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Not a bad temp for 100% load.
    >>
    >>>When I swap cpus I'll take a very close
    >>> look at the center of the socket... This is my first Intel venture
    >>> and I'm used to the old AMD type boards with a little sensor on a
    >>> bead bent up toward the cpu case so you could get a closer reading.
    >>> The Intel 775 apparently has a couple of mills of air between the
    >>> sensor and the cpu case.

    >> I imagine that would depend on the motherboard. Like you, I've had AMD
    >> CPUs and MBs and always tried to get that thermistor right up against
    >> the CPU bottom. :) The Asus P5B and Core2 Duo I have now is my first
    >> Intel system in many years. It does not have a thermistor in the
    >> socket, but measures the temp from the core. The Coretemp program is
    >> nice, since it shows both cores, and is probably more accurate than the
    >> BIOS.
    >>
    >>> I do note that with this bios with voltages set to auto that it would
    >>> be very happy to blow out your cpu or memory. So I have my voltages
    >>> set specifically, and watch my temps.

    >> Sounds like you're all set! Hope you get one that really overclocks
    >> well. Let us (TINU) know.

    > problem. coppied from my post to ocforums...
    > """prob ocing past 220 with good memory...
    > With 2x1gb Mushkin HP also with OCZ platinum ver2 2x1gb (both were 800) :
    >
    > running Prime 95: Using EasyTune to raise cpu and mem:
    >
    > bsod and/or blank screen often accompanied by an error in Prime just before
    > it does that:
    >
    > at 219/876. If I increase northbridge voltage GMCH to +0.3, it happens at
    > 221/884
    >
    > Odly, I had some cheapie Patriot 667 2x1gb and I was easily able to oc that
    > to 270/1080 .
    >

    > I have played with the DDR voltage since both Mushkin and OCZ take 2.1.
    >
    > HELP!!!!!
    >
    > tia!!!!! (been talking with Mushkin rep quite a bit, but no solution)"""
    >
    > - - - - -
    >
    > So, yes, I will go back over to MicroCenter tomorrow and try to get some
    > Patriot Signature 800 memory to try.
    >
    > I tried my old zalman 7000cu HS and it seems to work about as well as the
    > Freezer7. Besides, the Freezer7 ran into my NB HS. I AM looking for a
    > better solution......... I returned the Freezer7. and the 1.6cpu.
    >
    > At idle coretemp says 43 43. speedfan says Intel core0&1 are 28 28.
    > With Prime95 it's 59 59 and 45 45 roughly. No oc.
    >
    > Meantime did Win XP repair install to give it support for a dual core,
    > which went fine. Found "si meter" which seems to do a nice job of metering
    > stuff.
    >
    > If anyone has any idea what the heck is up, please let me know!!!!! :eek:)

    Well, this is my hobby/fun so I had fun!!! I did indeed!!!

    Gigabyte board was bad so returned it and got Asus P5K.
    Oc to 270 cpu clock (2.97ghz, mem was 800 @ 1080).
    Then NIC on Asus left this plane of existance so took that board back and
    got a DFI.
    Same OC, though I have settled on 260/1040/2.86mhz
    This particular cpu chip runs very hot. Tried about 6 different big HSFs
    including Tuniq tower and Freezer7, all yielding 64-70C dirung Prime 25.5
    torture. Newegg: Tt Big Typhoon VX: 60C max. So that's very liveable!
    And I'm a very happy camper.

    That VX HSF is also very easy to install - don't have to remove mobo,
    unscrew psu and slide it back a couple of inches and that corner pin is
    very easy to access. doesn't crowd psu, NB-HS, or memory. Not
    particularly heavy.

    Just noticed my NB is 40C. Actually, Smart Guardian says 45C. This is
    because when I installed the VX, I pointed the fins from front to back, not
    side to side where some air would move past the NB, and also exhaust into
    the psu bottom 120mm fan. I'll try changing it tomorrow.

    Fun!!! Toys!!!
    --
    Kris
    --------
    Kris, Jan 24, 2008
  10. Kris

    RobV Guest

    Kris wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500, Kris wrote:

    [snipped for brevity]

    >> - - - - -
    >>
    >> So, yes, I will go back over to MicroCenter tomorrow and try to get
    >> some Patriot Signature 800 memory to try.
    >>
    >> I tried my old zalman 7000cu HS and it seems to work about as well
    >> as the Freezer7. Besides, the Freezer7 ran into my NB HS. I AM
    >> looking for a better solution......... I returned the Freezer7.
    >> and the 1.6cpu.
    >>
    >> At idle coretemp says 43 43. speedfan says Intel core0&1 are 28 28.
    >> With Prime95 it's 59 59 and 45 45 roughly. No oc.
    >>
    >> Meantime did Win XP repair install to give it support for a dual
    >> core, which went fine. Found "si meter" which seems to do a nice
    >> job of metering stuff.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any idea what the heck is up, please let me know!!!!!
    >> :eek:)

    > Well, this is my hobby/fun so I had fun!!! I did indeed!!!
    >
    > Gigabyte board was bad so returned it and got Asus P5K.
    > Oc to 270 cpu clock (2.97ghz, mem was 800 @ 1080).
    > Then NIC on Asus left this plane of existance so took that board back
    > and got a DFI.
    > Same OC, though I have settled on 260/1040/2.86mhz
    > This particular cpu chip runs very hot. Tried about 6 different big
    > HSFs including Tuniq tower and Freezer7, all yielding 64-70C dirung
    > Prime 25.5 torture. Newegg: Tt Big Typhoon VX: 60C max. So that's
    > very liveable! And I'm a very happy camper.
    >
    > That VX HSF is also very easy to install - don't have to remove mobo,
    > unscrew psu and slide it back a couple of inches and that corner pin
    > is very easy to access. doesn't crowd psu, NB-HS, or memory. Not
    > particularly heavy.
    >
    > Just noticed my NB is 40C. Actually, Smart Guardian says 45C. This
    > is because when I installed the VX, I pointed the fins from front to
    > back, not side to side where some air would move past the NB, and
    > also exhaust into the psu bottom 120mm fan. I'll try changing it
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > Fun!!! Toys!!!

    Kris' Excellent Adventure!

    You're right, though. The fun is in trying this and that, then getting
    a decent overclock with acceptable temps. I'm surprised you were able
    to exchange all that stuff! It wouldn't be as easy (or fast) with any
    of the web hardware sites.

    BTW, 45C for the NB is excellent. It usually runs much hotter, nearer
    to 60C, so don't worry about it. Install the HS for best CPU cooling.

    The only problem is that after all is done and stable and reliable, it
    gets a bit boring. ;-) In any case, I'm glad you have a
    system/overclock that you feel good about. Well done and thanks for the
    update.
    RobV, Jan 24, 2008
  11. Kris

    Kris Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:46:12 -0500, RobV wrote:

    > Kris wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500, Kris wrote:

    > [snipped for brevity] [snipped more!]

    >> Well, this is my hobby/fun so I had fun!!! I did indeed!!!
    >>
    >> Gigabyte board was bad so returned it and got Asus P5K.
    >> Oc to 270 cpu clock (2.97ghz, mem was 800 @ 1080).
    >> Then NIC on Asus left this plane of existance so took that board back
    >> and got a DFI.
    >> Same OC, though I have settled on 260/1040/2.86mhz
    >> This particular cpu chip runs very hot. Tried about 6 different big
    >> HSFs including Tuniq tower and Freezer7, all yielding 64-70C dirung
    >> Prime 25.5 torture. Newegg: Tt Big Typhoon VX: 60C max. So that's
    >> very liveable! And I'm a very happy camper.
    >>
    >> That VX HSF is also very easy to install - don't have to remove mobo,
    >> unscrew psu and slide it back a couple of inches and that corner pin
    >> is very easy to access. doesn't crowd psu, NB-HS, or memory. Not
    >> particularly heavy.
    >>
    >> Just noticed my NB is 40C. Actually, Smart Guardian says 45C. This
    >> is because when I installed the VX, I pointed the fins from front to
    >> back, not side to side where some air would move past the NB, and
    >> also exhaust into the psu bottom 120mm fan. I'll try changing it
    >> tomorrow.
    >>
    >> Fun!!! Toys!!!

    > Kris' Excellent Adventure!
    >
    > You're right, though. The fun is in trying this and that, then getting
    > a decent overclock with acceptable temps. I'm surprised you were able
    > to exchange all that stuff! It wouldn't be as easy (or fast) with any
    > of the web hardware sites.
    >
    > BTW, 45C for the NB is excellent. It usually runs much hotter, nearer
    > to 60C, so don't worry about it. Install the HS for best CPU cooling.
    >
    > The only problem is that after all is done and stable and reliable, it
    > gets a bit boring. ;-) In any case, I'm glad you have a
    > system/overclock that you feel good about. Well done and thanks for the
    > update.

    I did try rotating the HSF by 90 deg but the cpu was up to 5C worse and no
    change in the NB temp so back to original.

    "gets a bit boring" !!! That's a mouthful!!! I wonder if I'll make it
    half a year before I get a new cpu!!! It never stops! Fortunately!

    Those little clips on the HSF that I guess Intel invented are a tad of
    frustration, but 99% of the time it's because I forgot to re-lock it after
    ramoving it - DUH!!! The other 1% is just that most things in this world
    just don't fit/work quite right and it takes a bit of patience!!!

    Onward!!!
    --
    Kris
    --------
    Kris, Jan 24, 2008
  12. Kris

    Kris Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:42:36 -0500, Kris wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:46:12 -0500, RobV wrote:
    >
    >> Kris wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500, Kris wrote:

    >> [snipped for brevity] [snipped more!]

    >>> Well, this is my hobby/fun so I had fun!!! I did indeed!!!
    >>>
    >>> Gigabyte board was bad so returned it and got Asus P5K.
    >>> Oc to 270 cpu clock (2.97ghz, mem was 800 @ 1080).
    >>> Then NIC on Asus left this plane of existance so took that board back
    >>> and got a DFI.
    >>> Same OC, though I have settled on 260/1040/2.86mhz
    >>> This particular cpu chip runs very hot. Tried about 6 different big
    >>> HSFs including Tuniq tower and Freezer7, all yielding 64-70C dirung
    >>> Prime 25.5 torture. Newegg: Tt Big Typhoon VX: 60C max. So that's
    >>> very liveable! And I'm a very happy camper.
    >>>
    >>> That VX HSF is also very easy to install - don't have to remove mobo,
    >>> unscrew psu and slide it back a couple of inches and that corner pin
    >>> is very easy to access. doesn't crowd psu, NB-HS, or memory. Not
    >>> particularly heavy.
    >>>
    >>> Just noticed my NB is 40C. Actually, Smart Guardian says 45C. This
    >>> is because when I installed the VX, I pointed the fins from front to
    >>> back, not side to side where some air would move past the NB, and
    >>> also exhaust into the psu bottom 120mm fan. I'll try changing it
    >>> tomorrow.
    >>>
    >>> Fun!!! Toys!!!

    >> Kris' Excellent Adventure!
    >>
    >> You're right, though. The fun is in trying this and that, then getting
    >> a decent overclock with acceptable temps. I'm surprised you were able
    >> to exchange all that stuff! It wouldn't be as easy (or fast) with any
    >> of the web hardware sites.
    >>
    >> BTW, 45C for the NB is excellent. It usually runs much hotter, nearer
    >> to 60C, so don't worry about it. Install the HS for best CPU cooling.
    >>
    >> The only problem is that after all is done and stable and reliable, it
    >> gets a bit boring. ;-) In any case, I'm glad you have a
    >> system/overclock that you feel good about. Well done and thanks for the
    >> update.

    > I did try rotating the HSF by 90 deg but the cpu was up to 5C worse and no
    > change in the NB temp so back to original.
    >
    > "gets a bit boring" !!! That's a mouthful!!! I wonder if I'll make it
    > half a year before I get a new cpu!!! It never stops! Fortunately!
    >
    > Those little clips on the HSF that I guess Intel invented are a tad of
    > frustration, but 99% of the time it's because I forgot to re-lock it after
    > ramoving it - DUH!!! The other 1% is just that most things in this world
    > just don't fit/work quite right and it takes a bit of patience!!!
    >
    > Onward!!!

    [[ as to returning lots of stuff, yes, the local MicroCenter (Cambridge) is
    great about returns - their only request has been that you return as many
    of the parts of an item as possible, and of course I always strive for
    perfection in that, thinking about how I would like it if I bought one of
    my returns and an important part, like an IO shield, was missing. Scored a
    new Newpoint UPS there yesterday - $30 on closeout I guess - 800 VA / 400
    watts (I use about 120 watts) - has USB conector so I can retire my old
    Belkin which had serial connector and I couldn't get the serial port on the
    DFI to work. ]]
    --
    Kris
    --------
    Kris, Jan 24, 2008
  13. Kris

    RobV Guest

    Kris wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:46:12 -0500, RobV wrote:
    >
    >> Kris wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:52:53 -0500, Kris wrote:

    >> [snipped for brevity] [snipped more!]

    >>> Well, this is my hobby/fun so I had fun!!! I did indeed!!!
    >>>
    >>> Gigabyte board was bad so returned it and got Asus P5K.
    >>> Oc to 270 cpu clock (2.97ghz, mem was 800 @ 1080).
    >>> Then NIC on Asus left this plane of existance so took that board
    >>> back and got a DFI.
    >>> Same OC, though I have settled on 260/1040/2.86mhz
    >>> This particular cpu chip runs very hot. Tried about 6 different big
    >>> HSFs including Tuniq tower and Freezer7, all yielding 64-70C dirung
    >>> Prime 25.5 torture. Newegg: Tt Big Typhoon VX: 60C max. So that's
    >>> very liveable! And I'm a very happy camper.
    >>>
    >>> That VX HSF is also very easy to install - don't have to remove
    >>> mobo, unscrew psu and slide it back a couple of inches and that
    >>> corner pin is very easy to access. doesn't crowd psu, NB-HS, or
    >>> memory. Not particularly heavy.
    >>>
    >>> Just noticed my NB is 40C. Actually, Smart Guardian says 45C. This
    >>> is because when I installed the VX, I pointed the fins from front to
    >>> back, not side to side where some air would move past the NB, and
    >>> also exhaust into the psu bottom 120mm fan. I'll try changing it
    >>> tomorrow.
    >>>
    >>> Fun!!! Toys!!!

    >> Kris' Excellent Adventure!
    >>
    >> You're right, though. The fun is in trying this and that, then
    >> getting a decent overclock with acceptable temps. I'm surprised you
    >> were able to exchange all that stuff! It wouldn't be as easy (or
    >> fast) with any of the web hardware sites.
    >>
    >> BTW, 45C for the NB is excellent. It usually runs much hotter,
    >> nearer to 60C, so don't worry about it. Install the HS for best CPU
    >> cooling.
    >>
    >> The only problem is that after all is done and stable and reliable,
    >> it gets a bit boring. ;-) In any case, I'm glad you have a
    >> system/overclock that you feel good about. Well done and thanks for
    >> the update.

    > I did try rotating the HSF by 90 deg but the cpu was up to 5C worse
    > and no change in the NB temp so back to original.
    >
    > "gets a bit boring" !!! That's a mouthful!!! I wonder if I'll make
    > it half a year before I get a new cpu!!! It never stops!
    > Fortunately!
    >
    > Those little clips on the HSF that I guess Intel invented are a tad of
    > frustration, but 99% of the time it's because I forgot to re-lock it
    > after ramoving it - DUH!!! The other 1% is just that most things in
    > this world just don't fit/work quite right and it takes a bit of
    > patience!!!
    >
    > Onward!!!

    No, just kidding about the boring part. After the system is done and
    stable, you get to run the apps you made the computer for. The first
    time I tried to install the Intel heatsink, I almost broke it. I didn't
    quite understand how they worked. Now that I've removed it and
    installed a larger heatsink, it's obvious and extremely easy to use.
    RobV, Jan 24, 2008
  14. Kris

    RobV Guest

    Kris wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:42:36 -0500, Kris wrote:

    [snip]

    > [[ as to returning lots of stuff, yes, the local MicroCenter
    > (Cambridge) is great about returns - their only request has been that
    > you return as many of the parts of an item as possible, and of course
    > I always strive for perfection in that, thinking about how I would
    > like it if I bought one of my returns and an important part, like an
    > IO shield, was missing. Scored a new Newpoint UPS there yesterday -
    > $30 on closeout I guess - 800 VA / 400 watts (I use about 120 watts)
    > - has USB conector so I can retire my old Belkin which had serial
    > connector and I couldn't get the serial port on the DFI to work. ]]

    That's really nice. Wish there was one of them around here.

    Around last September, I finally decided to get a UPS (1000 VA
    CyberPower) after the power went out about three times within a few
    minutes that day. Since that time, we had perfect power until finally
    it went out for 3 hours last week. It was really odd to be working on
    the computer when everything else is dead and it's dark, except for the
    monitor. I took my time, finished what I was doing and shut the
    computer down normally. It's definitely worth having one.
    RobV, Jan 24, 2008