GA-X58A-UD3R/USB3.0 Card 720200/A Chip Driver/Firmware Flash ?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by wbear, Feb 23, 2013.

  1. wbear

    wbear

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2013
    I am about to bring to life for the first time a build with the following:
    Win7 64, I7 960 Bloomfield 3.2GHZ, GA-X58A-UD3R rev2, 12gb (3x4gb) triple channel kit of Corsair Vengeance Ram 1600mhz, Gigabyte GTX 550 TI Graphics card, Intel 520 240gb.

    My ? concerns the driver/firmware updating procedure/order for the several Renesas/Nec USB 3.0 720200 series chips found in the build. All of them are several versions old and I would prefer to start with the latest version:

    1. The board has a Nec 720200 chip for the two native USB3 ports. It has very old versions.
    2. SIIG PCIe USB3 card JU-P20512-S1 has a Renesas 720200A chip.
    3. Koutech PCIe USB3 card PEU 232 has a Renesas 720200A chip
    3. StarTech PCIe USB3 card PEXUSB3S400 has a Renesas 720202 chip

    So I have one 720200, two 720200A and one 720202 chips to deal with. The firmware is different for all 3 types and there are 2 different drivers required(the 7200200 and 7200200A take the same driver). I have not done this before and need guidance.

    1. With everything installed is there going to be a problem when running the driver program since 2 different cards will take the same one. Will the driver installer see the 3 chips (one on the board and 2 on the cards) and take care of all at the same time or does it list each one and let me choose which one to do? If it does both at the same time what would happen if a person wanted a different version on each chip? I have not seen a driver update for these chips run so I am not aware of the choices it gives.

    2. Should I get the system running with out any cards and update the board chip, then install one card at a time, updating each one in turn?
    I'm sure that would work but is it necessary to go to that much trouble? Or should I put it all in and try it that way?

    Has anyone been there/done that? Thanks!

    wbear, Feb 23, 2013