Gainward 1300XT on a Tyan K7X Pro motherboard?

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Bill Oliver, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. Bill Oliver

    Bill Oliver Guest

    I'm trying to convert an older box I used for image processing into a
    MythTV platform. It's a dual Athlon box using a Tyan Thunder K7X Pro S2469
    motherboard with one AGP Pro 4x/2x slot. It has a built in ATI Rage XL, but
    I have a Gainward Ultra 1300/XT FX PowerPack (nVidia) graphics card I thought
    I'd install for the video out..

    When I put the card in, it powers up fine -- it has a secondary
    power in for the fans split from the HD power supply. Unfortunately,
    I get *nothing* out of video. The ATI Rage still works fine if I
    unplug the card and pull the jumper.

    I sent email to Tyan, but they don't have a clue, and haven't
    been testing new cards on the K7X for a couple of years. Gainward
    basically said that they don't know anything about linux and don't
    provide any support (even though it crashes at the BIOS level, not
    in the OS).

    Rest of the config:

    Mandrake 2006 PowerPack Linux (2.6.12-12mdksmp kernel)
    Dual MP 2800+ Athlon cpus
    4 GByte RAM (4 x 1GB 10 ns)
    2 x 250MByte Western Digital WD2500JB-00GVA0 IDE HD
    Video: Onboard ATI Rage XL

    Anybody install a Gainward card in a Tyan K7X motherboard?

    Thanks in advance!

    billo

    Bill Oliver, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Bill Oliver wrote:

    > When I put the card in, it powers up fine -- it has a secondary
    > power in for the fans split from the HD power supply. Unfortunately,
    > I get *nothing* out of video. The ATI Rage still works fine if I
    > unplug the card and pull the jumper.

    What do the log files say? In particular /var/log/debug,
    /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog, /var/log/Xorg.0.log...

    Are you using nvidia's driver?

    If you disable gdm (xdm, whatever), do you get a visible text console
    at boot?

    Chris Sorenson, Sep 4, 2006

  3. Bill Oliver

    Bill Oliver Guest

    In article <>,
    Chris Sorenson <> wrote:
    >Bill Oliver wrote:
    >>
    >> When I put the card in, it powers up fine -- it has a secondary
    >> power in for the fans split from the HD power supply. Unfortunately,
    >> I get *nothing* out of video. The ATI Rage still works fine if I
    >> unplug the card and pull the jumper.
    >>

    >What do the log files say? In particular /var/log/debug,
    >/var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog, /var/log/Xorg.0.log...
    >
    >Are you using nvidia's driver?
    >
    >If you disable gdm (xdm, whatever), do you get a visible text console
    >at boot?

    Thanks for the reply -- I gave up on a response after a few days.

    The logs say nothing about this; it doesn't get that far. The
    box simply does not come up; I don't get the BIOS messages
    or anything.

    billo

    Bill Oliver, Sep 25, 2006