Gamma control for overlay - Impossible?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by gluino, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. gluino

    gluino Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm using a 6600GT on NF4 motherboard with WinXP and drivers from
    Nvidia.

    I needed brighter gamma for videos so I've went here:

    Display Properties >
    Advanced >
    GeForce 6600 GT >
    Color Correction >
    Apply color changes to: Overlay

    And then the Gamma slider is greyed out.
    "This option is disabled because it doesn't apply to the current edit
    mode"

    The only way I was able to brighten my video was to set zero hardware
    acceleration (at the "Troubleshoot" tab) and then adjust regular (i.e.
    non-overlay) gamma.

    Is there anyway around this?
    Any unofficial GeForce drivers that have overlay gamma adjustment?
    Any media players that have it?

    I mainly use Media Player Classic to play my videos.
    How can I set it to non-overlay mode?

    Is there no good solution at all?
    Would this be a reason to go with ATI over Nvidia?

    Thanks very much!
    - gluino

    1. Advertising

  2. First of One

    First of One Guest

    In ATi driver panels, the overlay gamma slider is only adjustable when a
    video is playing. nVidia drivers may also be like that.

    Also, in Media Player Classic, under View -> Options -> Playback -> Output,
    there are different ways to render the window. Setting it to VMR9
    (renderless) may let the video use your Direct3D gamma settings.

    "gluino" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using a 6600GT on NF4 motherboard with WinXP and drivers from
    > Nvidia.
    >
    > I needed brighter gamma for videos so I've went here:
    >
    > Display Properties >
    > Advanced >
    > GeForce 6600 GT >
    > Color Correction >
    > Apply color changes to: Overlay
    >
    > And then the Gamma slider is greyed out.
    > "This option is disabled because it doesn't apply to the current edit
    > mode"
    >
    > The only way I was able to brighten my video was to set zero hardware
    > acceleration (at the "Troubleshoot" tab) and then adjust regular (i.e.
    > non-overlay) gamma.
    >
    > Is there anyway around this?
    > Any unofficial GeForce drivers that have overlay gamma adjustment?
    > Any media players that have it?
    >
    > I mainly use Media Player Classic to play my videos.
    > How can I set it to non-overlay mode?
    >
    > Is there no good solution at all?
    > Would this be a reason to go with ATI over Nvidia?
    >
    > Thanks very much!
    > - gluino

    1. Advertising

  3. pjp

    pjp Guest

    For different reason, I also wanted control over gamma when fullscreen.

    I enabled/setup the Hotkeys for gamma up/down/reset within the nVidia
    display properties. Seems to work fine, even recognizing which monittor
    mouse is "on" and adjusting just that one.

    Just tried using WMP9 and doing dualview with TV, hotkeys seem to have no
    effect on tv screen although when video finished and screen reverted back to
    desktop, it's gamma was changed.