Gateway 2000 AnyKey Keyboard Macro Backup Utility Program

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Rich, Jul 6, 2009.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Greetings,

    I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
    first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
    much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you find
    that you can't live without it. I am thoroughly versed in the programming of
    the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to make use of a small
    program that came on the original system disk that allowed for a backup of
    your programmed macros to your hard drive & the ability to restore from that
    backup. As is common with this keyboard, occasionally one hits the program
    macro key & screws up the keyboard. It's simple to wipe the macros clean but
    then you must individually reprogram each macro one at a time. Naturally I
    cannot find my original system disk. Does anyone know of a site that I can
    download the program & documentation for use? I have searched extensively &
    found a few programs (anykey30, anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a
    "bat" file or open a dos prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System
    disk that has the "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program &
    documentation that you could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG
    3.11.
    In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
    Thanks.

    Rich
    Rich, Jul 6, 2009

  2. Rich

    SC Tom Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
    > first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
    > much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you find
    > that you can't live without it. I am thoroughly versed in the programming
    > of the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to make use of a
    > small program that came on the original system disk that allowed for a
    > backup of your programmed macros to your hard drive & the ability to
    > restore from that backup. As is common with this keyboard, occasionally
    > one hits the program macro key & screws up the keyboard. It's simple to
    > wipe the macros clean but then you must individually reprogram each macro
    > one at a time. Naturally I cannot find my original system disk. Does
    > anyone know of a site that I can download the program & documentation for
    > use? I have searched extensively & found a few programs (anykey30,
    > anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a "bat" file or open a dos
    > prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System disk that has the
    > "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program & documentation that you
    > could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG 3.11.
    > In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Rich

    Try this software http://www.autohotkey.com/

    A few searches returned it as a substitute for the original software.

    SC Tom
    SC Tom, Jul 6, 2009

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "SC Tom" <> wrote in message

    >> I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
    >> first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
    >> much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you
    >> find that you can't live without it. I am thoroughly versed in the
    >> programming of the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to
    >> make use of a small program that came on the original system disk that
    >> allowed for a backup of your programmed macros to your hard drive & the
    >> ability to restore from that backup. As is common with this keyboard,
    >> occasionally one hits the program macro key & screws up the keyboard.
    >> It's simple to wipe the macros clean but then you must individually
    >> reprogram each macro one at a time. Naturally I cannot find my original
    >> system disk. Does anyone know of a site that I can download the program &
    >> documentation for use? I have searched extensively & found a few programs
    >> (anykey30, anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a "bat" file or open
    >> a dos prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System disk that has
    >> the "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program & documentation that
    >> you could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG 3.11.
    >> In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Rich

    > Try this software http://www.autohotkey.com/
    >
    > A few searches returned it as a substitute for the original software.
    >
    > SC Tom

    Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I appreciate you taking the time to find
    that. However, the AnyKey is a hardware based macro recorder. It has
    circuitry & ROM built into the keyboard to store the macros. I could
    literally disconnect the keyboard from one computer & connect it to another
    & use the same macros. No software needs to be installed or running on the
    computer in use. This is significant. I currently work at home. I share the
    AnyKey keyboard for its convenience. The software-based solution would work
    except for one key problem. I have no administrative rights to my work
    computer. I can make almost no changes to any settings let alone install a
    macro program. I just need the original backup/restore program that somehow
    accessed the ROM chips on the keyboard & saved them to as file that could be
    restored to the keyboard if needed. I quickly scanned the home page for the
    software & didn't see any functionality to do that. If I missed it please
    let me know. You indicated that it was a substitute for the original
    software but the only software was a backup/restore program, not a macro
    recording program.
    Thanks again.

    Rich
    Rich, Jul 6, 2009
  4. Rich

    chicagofan Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am still using a Gateway 2000 AnyKey keyboard that I received with my
    > first computer in 1994 (although the computer I am now using it on is not
    > much younger). Once you have become used to having this keyboard, you find
    > that you can't live without it.

    I was very fond of mine too. I bought my first Gateway home pc in late
    1993, which is still in my basement, but not working.

    > I am thoroughly versed in the programming of
    > the keyboard but recently I decided that I would like to make use of a small
    > program that came on the original system disk that allowed for a backup of
    > your programmed macros to your hard drive & the ability to restore from that
    > backup. As is common with this keyboard, occasionally one hits the program
    > macro key & screws up the keyboard. It's simple to wipe the macros clean but
    > then you must individually reprogram each macro one at a time. Naturally I
    > cannot find my original system disk. Does anyone know of a site that I can
    > download the program & documentation for use? I have searched extensively &
    > found a few programs (anykey30, anykey34, etc.) but they just either run a
    > "bat" file or open a dos prompt. Maybe one of you have an old Gateway System
    > disk that has the "Anykey" folder on it which includes the program &
    > documentation that you could e-mail me? The original system disk was WFG
    > 3.11.
    > In the mean time, I'll keep looking.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Rich

    I have lots of disks, but didn't see the system disk you mention. I had
    3 systems disks labeled Tool Tips. However, I do have a blue disk with
    the Gateway 2000 label, which says ANYKEY, AnyKey Keyboard Utility
    Disk. Do you think it would help you?

    If so, I couldn't e-mail, because I no longer have a disk drive to load
    it. I could mail it to you though, [free of charge] if you think it
    would have what you need.

    Barbara
    chicagofan, Jul 6, 2009
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    > I have lots of disks, but didn't see the system disk you mention. I had
    > 3 systems disks labeled Tool Tips. However, I do have a blue disk with
    > the Gateway 2000 label, which says ANYKEY, AnyKey Keyboard Utility Disk.
    > Do you think it would help you?
    >
    > If so, I couldn't e-mail, because I no longer have a disk drive to load
    > it. I could mail it to you though, [free of charge] if you think it would
    > have what you need.
    >
    > Barbara

    Thanks, Barbara!
    With the help of a web page walking me through the process in DOS, I figured
    out how to use it. I would love to have your disk, though. If you reply to
    my post we can work it out the particulars via e-mail. Do you still have the
    keyboard?

    Thanks,
    Rich
    Rich, Jul 7, 2009
  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    > Rich, I loved my Anykey too, and ended up working at a company that
    > makes a programmable keypad with a similar function. I don't want to
    > advertise, so I won't post the link unless you ask for it, but if
    > you're moving this back and forth to work, I think the keypad might be
    > a great option for you.
    >

    > --
    > Dan from PI

    I'd be greatly interested in reading about your keypad....post away! Thanks
    for the feedback.

    Rich
    Rich, Jul 7, 2009
  7. Rich

    chicagofan Guest

    Rich wrote:
    >> I have lots of disks, but didn't see the system disk you mention. I had
    >> 3 systems disks labeled Tool Tips. However, I do have a blue disk with
    >> the Gateway 2000 label, which says ANYKEY, AnyKey Keyboard Utility Disk.
    >> Do you think it would help you?
    >>
    >> If so, I couldn't e-mail, because I no longer have a disk drive to load
    >> it. I could mail it to you though, [free of charge] if you think it would
    >> have what you need.
    >>
    >> Barbara
    >>

    > Thanks, Barbara!
    > With the help of a web page walking me through the process in DOS, I figured
    > out how to use it. I would love to have your disk, though. If you reply to
    > my post we can work it out the particulars via e-mail. Do you still have the
    > keyboard?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rich

    Yes, I still have the keyboard, but something wasn't working on it, when
    I stopped using it long ago. Can't remember what it was. If you think
    the disk will go through the mail without a protective box [I don't
    have any mailers], you can contact me about the AnyKey disk at
    chicagolovr at gmail dot com.

    Barbara
    chicagofan, Jul 7, 2009
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    > Yes, I still have the keyboard, but something wasn't working on it, when I
    > stopped using it long ago. Can't remember what it was. If you think the
    > disk will go through the mail without a protective box [I don't have any
    > mailers], you can contact me about the AnyKey disk at chicagolovr at gmail
    > dot com.
    >
    > Barbara

    After answering your post last night I did some more digging & located the
    disk. I purchased my system in February 1994. They didn't include a separate
    AnyKey disk at that time apparently The program was in a folder on the main
    system disk that included Windows 3.11 & various utilities. It's interesting
    that you say something broke on your keyboard. Gateway stopped using them in
    1996 because they were weary of the support calls for "broken" keyboards
    which actually had been remapped accidentally Many times over the years I
    would be vigorously typing away & suddenly notice the "program macro" key
    flashing because I somehow inadvertently hit the magic combination. All I
    could do in that case is hit the button again effectively recording a 5
    minute macro of unknown key combinations. All I could do is wipe out all
    macros to reset the board to normal & re-record my stored macros. You could
    see where this was driving Gateway crazy & why the backup utility is useful
    because you could just restore your macros after you messed up the keyboard
    & cleared it.
    Anyway, thanks for the offer & your trouble.
    Rich
    Rich, Jul 8, 2009
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "Dan from PI" <> wrote in message

    > Rich,
    >
    > It's called the X-keys. It's available in both PS/2 and USB versions.
    > The PS/2 version carries all of the macros in an onboard memory, and the
    > USB version can be configured that way. One nice advantage it has over
    > the Anykey is that it's easy to label the keys so you don't forget
    > which macro is on which key.
    >
    > Here's a web page I wrote about it a few years back:
    > http://www.piengineering.com/resources/anykey.php
    >
    > I hope you find this useful.
    >

    > --
    > Dan from PI

    Interesting site. It even has a picture of a Gateway Keyboard. However,
    another product caught my eye there. My 11 year old son likes to upload
    videos of his Wii Call Of Duty action to YouTube. Originally he would use a
    camera to record the TV screen. Then he asked me for this inexpensive USB
    device called EasyCap which comes with Ulead movie capturing software.
    Unfortunately, unless the computer is right next to the game console there's
    a problem. So I bought him a 16 foot active USB extension which isn't
    really quite long enough. However, the data stream must be too much for even
    an active USB cable & the sound gets out of synch with the video. The USB
    Extender may solve the problem.
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Rich, Jul 8, 2009
  10. Rich

    chicagofan Guest

    Rich wrote:
    >> Yes, I still have the keyboard, but something wasn't working on it, when I
    >> stopped using it long ago. Can't remember what it was. If you think the
    >> disk will go through the mail without a protective box [I don't have any
    >> mailers], you can contact me.
    >>
    >> Barbara
    >>

    > After answering your post last night I did some more digging & located the
    > disk. I purchased my system in February 1994. They didn't include a separate
    > AnyKey disk at that time apparently The program was in a folder on the main
    > system disk that included Windows 3.11 & various utilities. It's interesting
    > that you say something broke on your keyboard. Gateway stopped using them in
    > 1996 because they were weary of the support calls for "broken" keyboards
    > which actually had been remapped accidentally Many times over the years I
    > would be vigorously typing away & suddenly notice the "program macro" key
    > flashing because I somehow inadvertently hit the magic combination. All I
    > could do in that case is hit the button again effectively recording a 5
    > minute macro of unknown key combinations. All I could do is wipe out all
    > macros to reset the board to normal & re-record my stored macros. You could
    > see where this was driving Gateway crazy & why the backup utility is useful
    > because you could just restore your macros after you messed up the keyboard
    > & cleared it.

    I did that occasionally too. :) I think I just had keys sticking, and
    was too lazy to figure out how to clean them or fix them, since I had a
    new keyboard that came with the second system.

    > Anyway, thanks for the offer & your trouble.
    > Rich

    You're welcome. I know how much it would mean to me, if someone could
    direct me to some old games I had on previous systems. Glad you have
    found what you needed!
    bj
    chicagofan, Jul 8, 2009
  11. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "Dan from PI" <> wrote in message

    > 'Rich[_9_ Wrote:
    >> ;872124']
    >> Interesting site. It even has a picture of a Gateway Keyboard. However,
    >>
    >> another product caught my eye there. My 11 year old son likes to upload
    >>
    >> videos of his Wii Call Of Duty action to YouTube. Originally he would
    >> use a
    >> camera to record the TV screen. Then he asked me for this inexpensive
    >> USB
    >> device called EasyCap which comes with Ulead movie capturing software.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, unless the computer is right next to the game console
    >> there's
    >> a problem. So I bought him a 16 foot active USB extension which isn't
    >>
    >> really quite long enough. However, the data stream must be too much for
    >> even
    >> an active USB cable & the sound gets out of synch with the video. The
    >> USB
    >> Extender may solve the problem.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Rich

    > Rich, the USB Extender is low speed USB, meant for extending our
    > keyboards, so you may encounter the same or a similar issue.
    >

    > --
    > Dan from PI

    Oh. Thanks for the heads up. The video on the site showing the guy playing
    guitar hero mislead me. However, I can see where that would not require the
    amount of data transfer that a video capture would.
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Rich, Jul 10, 2009
  12. Rich

    Spudstertek

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Anykey Keyboard Macro Backuo Utility Program HERE------------------------>>>>

    Here is the proggie....ENJOY!

    Attached Files:

    Spudstertek, Jun 4, 2010
  13. Rich

    peredg

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    AnyKey30

    I have been using AnyKey for about the same time 1994 and still have the original keyboard.

    However, recently the programming stopped taking new entries. When I used my old 3.5 to renew the software, I get a message "a Temp file needed for intialization could not be created or could not be written to.

    Any suggestions?

    Bill
    peredg, Jun 21, 2010
  14. Rich

    tanstaafl.

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
    Gateway AnyKey macro utility

    Rich --

    No kidding! I have been using my AnyKey since the mid 1980's, and having migrated from my original Gateway 60 mHz Pentium through about five other computers to my present 3 gHz dual-core Athlon, my AnyKey utility is long gone.

    Your subsequent posts show that you did find your original utility file. Is there any chance that you could email me a copy of it? I have highly complex macros that I use daily, and it would be nice to store them in a retrievable fashion. (Just for fun, one of them is shown below.)

    Alt-T Alt-A Space Tab End Ctrl-Shift-LeftArrow Ctrl-X BkSpace
    Home Ctrl-V , Space Alt-T Tab Home Ctrl-V -
    Shift-End Ctrl-C Alt-U Space Tab Home Ctrl-V Space (Read by
    Space End ) Alt-A Space Tab Home Ctrl-Right-Arrow
    Left-Arrow (2x) Shift-End Ctrl-X Ctrl-Enter Alt-o Tab (10x) Ctrl-Enter Tab (10x)
    Alt-R Ctrl-Enter Alt-M Alt-T Alt-A Space Tab End Ctrl-V
    Ctrl-Enter Alt-T Alt-E Tab Down-Arrow PgDn (4x) Up-Arrow Down-Arrow

    What's it for? Better you don't ask... :)

    This is a pretty old thread, but maybe you still come by here once in a while. Hope to hear from you - you can reach me at douglasburnside at gmail.com if you like. I would really appreciate it.

    Douglas Burnside
    tanstaafl., Aug 14, 2011
  15. Rich