Gateway 310x desktop - shuts down

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by ps56k, Nov 10, 2008.

  1. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    hmmmmm - not much activity here -

    A neighbor has a Gateway 310X desktop,
    and I was asked to change a few things in XP for her...

    While I have it here, it's been running most of the day,
    but it has now - 3 times - just turned itself off !!

    This is NOT the Windows power setting,
    as I also had it turn off with a bootable Linux CD
    while I was running a virus scanner.
    Now, as another test, it's just sitting at the BIOS screen.... running.

    Then, when attempting to get it turned on,
    it will not..... internally, on the motherboard,
    there is a green led at the top, that is always ON,
    and when attempted to turn on,
    there is a red led at the bottom, that briefly flashes...

    Any thoughts ??

    --
    ----------------------------------
    "If everything seems to be going well,
    you have obviously overlooked something." - Steven Wright
     
    ps56k, Nov 10, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ps56k

    Ben Myers Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > hmmmmm - not much activity here -
    >
    > A neighbor has a Gateway 310X desktop,
    > and I was asked to change a few things in XP for her...
    >
    > While I have it here, it's been running most of the day,
    > but it has now - 3 times - just turned itself off !!
    >
    > This is NOT the Windows power setting,
    > as I also had it turn off with a bootable Linux CD
    > while I was running a virus scanner.
    > Now, as another test, it's just sitting at the BIOS screen.... running.
    >
    > Then, when attempting to get it turned on,
    > it will not..... internally, on the motherboard,
    > there is a green led at the top, that is always ON,
    > and when attempted to turn on,
    > there is a red led at the bottom, that briefly flashes...
    >
    > Any thoughts ??
    >

    If the computer powers itself down when running a Live Linux distro, you
    have eliminated Windows and its infernal structure as a problem.

    I'll place my largest bets on the power supply, especially if it is a
    Bestec brand, notorious for poor quality. Other possibilities include
    clogged and malfunctioning system fans with lots of dust bunnies, and
    failing CMOS battery. If the system has experienced power failures and
    power spikes, most anything can be wrong... Ben Myers
     
    Ben Myers, Nov 11, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ps56k

    Ben Myers Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> ps56k wrote:
    >>> hmmmmm - not much activity here -
    >>>
    >>> A neighbor has a Gateway 310X desktop,
    >>> and I was asked to change a few things in XP for her...
    >>>
    >>> While I have it here, it's been running most of the day,
    >>> but it has now - 3 times - just turned itself off !!
    >>>
    >>> This is NOT the Windows power setting,
    >>> as I also had it turn off with a bootable Linux CD
    >>> while I was running a virus scanner.
    >>> Now, as another test, it's just sitting at the BIOS screen....
    >>> running. Then, when attempting to get it turned on,
    >>> it will not..... internally, on the motherboard,
    >>> there is a green led at the top, that is always ON,
    >>> and when attempted to turn on,
    >>> there is a red led at the bottom, that briefly flashes...
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts ??
    >>>

    >> If the computer powers itself down when running a Live Linux distro,
    >> you have eliminated Windows and its infernal structure as a problem.
    >>
    >> I'll place my largest bets on the power supply, especially if it is a
    >> Bestec brand, notorious for poor quality. Other possibilities include
    >> clogged and malfunctioning system fans with lots of dust bunnies, and
    >> failing CMOS battery. If the system has experienced power failures
    >> and power spikes, most anything can be wrong... Ben Myers

    >
    > it would seem like a thermal of some sort...
    > but the rear fan is clear, the CPU mounted heatsink & fan are ok...
    > Not sure how the CMOS would enter into a "running" system.
    >
    > I HATE to have things break while sitting in my family room :((
    >
    >

    Agreed, battery failure is a remote cause. I'll still place most of my
    money on a failing power supply, as the hardware repair roulette wheel
    spins. Which brand is it? ... Ben Myers
     
    Ben Myers, Nov 11, 2008
    #3
  4. Hi!

    > it would seem like a thermal of some sort...
    > but the rear fan is clear, the CPU mounted heatsink & fan are ok...
    > Not sure how the CMOS would enter into a "running" system.


    Most any modern motherboard has hardware monitoring functionality on it
    somewhere. The system BIOS may ignore this (many times it does so, either by
    default or because the manufacturer doesn't have anything watching the
    readings) or it may act on it when things are perceived to be too hot. This
    can go on quietly in the background, unbeknownst to the operating system or
    software programs.

    Thermal sensors can go bad. The cure for this may not be easy, unless you
    can tell the BIOS in SETUP to not pay any attention to thermal sensors.

    Software does exist (Motherboard Monitor or SpeedFan are two popular ones
    for Windows, lmsensors can be used on Linux) to tap into these sensors and
    see what they are reporting. Depending upon the design of the board, you can
    get comprehensive statistics on voltages, temperatures and fan RPMs. Or you
    can get nothing, ridiculous out of range readings, or only minimal data.

    My bet is on the power supply. It's probably right on tilt for replacing.
    And while I've never lost a Bestec supply on any of the computers I have
    using one, experiences would dictate that you replace such a power supply
    ***before*** it fails. Or the computer will probably be dead.

    William
     
    William R. Walsh, Nov 11, 2008
    #4
  5. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > ps56k wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:
    >>> ps56k wrote:
    >>>> hmmmmm - not much activity here -
    >>>>
    >>>> A neighbor has a Gateway 310X desktop,
    >>>> and I was asked to change a few things in XP for her...
    >>>>
    >>>> While I have it here, it's been running most of the day,
    >>>> but it has now - 3 times - just turned itself off !!
    >>>>
    >>>> This is NOT the Windows power setting,
    >>>> as I also had it turn off with a bootable Linux CD
    >>>> while I was running a virus scanner.
    >>>> Now, as another test, it's just sitting at the BIOS screen....
    >>>> running. Then, when attempting to get it turned on,
    >>>> it will not..... internally, on the motherboard,
    >>>> there is a green led at the top, that is always ON,
    >>>> and when attempted to turn on,
    >>>> there is a red led at the bottom, that briefly flashes...
    >>>>
    >>>> Any thoughts ??
    >>>>
    >>> If the computer powers itself down when running a Live Linux distro,
    >>> you have eliminated Windows and its infernal structure as a problem.
    >>>
    >>> I'll place my largest bets on the power supply, especially if it is
    >>> a Bestec brand, notorious for poor quality. Other possibilities
    >>> include clogged and malfunctioning system fans with lots of dust
    >>> bunnies, and failing CMOS battery. If the system has experienced
    >>> power failures and power spikes, most anything can be wrong... Ben
    >>> Myers

    >>
    >> it would seem like a thermal of some sort...
    >> but the rear fan is clear, the CPU mounted heatsink & fan are ok...
    >> Not sure how the CMOS would enter into a "running" system.
    >>
    >> I HATE to have things break while sitting in my family room :((
    >>
    >>

    > Agreed, battery failure is a remote cause. I'll still place most of
    > my money on a failing power supply, as the hardware repair roulette
    > wheel spins. Which brand is it? ... Ben Myers


    it is an FP - Additional Notes: Replaces and upgrades original FSP 200-60
    ATV Power Supply and others.
    http://www.911forpcs.com/ga31posufrde.html

    can't figure out the "smart" power button - and what is really the logic
    flow...

    ie - after it powers down, the green led is still on,
    as is the Ethernet cable/jack led and the green led on the motherboard.

    1 - if you try power on now - the red led on the motherboard blinks, but
    nothing happens
    2 - if you hold the power button until the green led goes off,
    and then wait - and try again - random yes/no-go
    3 - if it works, the red led on the motherboard flashes (longer than a
    blink)
    and the system powers up
    4 - if not, then nothing - and back to #1

    SO - not sure what it thinks is going on or not... GRRRRRRR
     
    ps56k, Nov 11, 2008
    #5
  6. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> ps56k wrote:
    >>> Ben Myers wrote:
    >>>> ps56k wrote:
    >>>>> hmmmmm - not much activity here -
    >>>>>
    >>>>> A neighbor has a Gateway 310X desktop,
    >>>>> and I was asked to change a few things in XP for her...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> While I have it here, it's been running most of the day,
    >>>>> but it has now - 3 times - just turned itself off !!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> This is NOT the Windows power setting,
    >>>>> as I also had it turn off with a bootable Linux CD
    >>>>> while I was running a virus scanner.
    >>>>> Now, as another test, it's just sitting at the BIOS screen....
    >>>>> running. Then, when attempting to get it turned on,
    >>>>> it will not..... internally, on the motherboard,
    >>>>> there is a green led at the top, that is always ON,
    >>>>> and when attempted to turn on,
    >>>>> there is a red led at the bottom, that briefly flashes...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Any thoughts ??
    >>>>>
    >>>> If the computer powers itself down when running a Live Linux
    >>>> distro, you have eliminated Windows and its infernal structure as
    >>>> a problem. I'll place my largest bets on the power supply, especially
    >>>> if it is
    >>>> a Bestec brand, notorious for poor quality. Other possibilities
    >>>> include clogged and malfunctioning system fans with lots of dust
    >>>> bunnies, and failing CMOS battery. If the system has experienced
    >>>> power failures and power spikes, most anything can be wrong... Ben
    >>>> Myers
    >>>
    >>> it would seem like a thermal of some sort...
    >>> but the rear fan is clear, the CPU mounted heatsink & fan are ok...
    >>> Not sure how the CMOS would enter into a "running" system.
    >>>
    >>> I HATE to have things break while sitting in my family room :((
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Agreed, battery failure is a remote cause. I'll still place most of
    >> my money on a failing power supply, as the hardware repair roulette
    >> wheel spins. Which brand is it? ... Ben Myers

    >
    > it is an FP - Additional Notes: Replaces and upgrades original FSP
    > 200-60 ATV Power Supply and others.
    > http://www.911forpcs.com/ga31posufrde.html
    >
    > can't figure out the "smart" power button - and what is really the
    > logic flow...
    >
    > ie - after it powers down, the green led is still on,
    > as is the Ethernet cable/jack led and the green led on the
    > motherboard.
    > 1 - if you try power on now - the red led on the motherboard blinks,
    > but nothing happens
    > 2 - if you hold the power button until the green led goes off,
    > and then wait - and try again - random yes/no-go
    > 3 - if it works, the red led on the motherboard flashes (longer than a
    > blink)
    > and the system powers up
    > 4 - if not, then nothing - and back to #1
    >
    > SO - not sure what it thinks is going on or not... GRRRRRRR


    have tried booting into BIOS screen - and waiting -
    sometimes it runs for a long time, sometimes not.

    tried booting into Windows or a CDrom bootable Linux,
    and these have been about 5 to 8 minutes before shutdown.

    Heatsinks are still cold to the touch - can't figure out what's going on
    ?????
     
    ps56k, Nov 11, 2008
    #6
  7. ps56k

    Ben Myers Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > ps56k wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:
    >>> ps56k wrote:
    >>>> Ben Myers wrote:
    >>>>> ps56k wrote:
    >>>>>> hmmmmm - not much activity here -
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> A neighbor has a Gateway 310X desktop,
    >>>>>> and I was asked to change a few things in XP for her...
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> While I have it here, it's been running most of the day,
    >>>>>> but it has now - 3 times - just turned itself off !!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> This is NOT the Windows power setting,
    >>>>>> as I also had it turn off with a bootable Linux CD
    >>>>>> while I was running a virus scanner.
    >>>>>> Now, as another test, it's just sitting at the BIOS screen....
    >>>>>> running. Then, when attempting to get it turned on,
    >>>>>> it will not..... internally, on the motherboard,
    >>>>>> there is a green led at the top, that is always ON,
    >>>>>> and when attempted to turn on,
    >>>>>> there is a red led at the bottom, that briefly flashes...
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Any thoughts ??
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> If the computer powers itself down when running a Live Linux
    >>>>> distro, you have eliminated Windows and its infernal structure as
    >>>>> a problem. I'll place my largest bets on the power supply, especially
    >>>>> if it is
    >>>>> a Bestec brand, notorious for poor quality. Other possibilities
    >>>>> include clogged and malfunctioning system fans with lots of dust
    >>>>> bunnies, and failing CMOS battery. If the system has experienced
    >>>>> power failures and power spikes, most anything can be wrong... Ben
    >>>>> Myers
    >>>> it would seem like a thermal of some sort...
    >>>> but the rear fan is clear, the CPU mounted heatsink & fan are ok...
    >>>> Not sure how the CMOS would enter into a "running" system.
    >>>>
    >>>> I HATE to have things break while sitting in my family room :((
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Agreed, battery failure is a remote cause. I'll still place most of
    >>> my money on a failing power supply, as the hardware repair roulette
    >>> wheel spins. Which brand is it? ... Ben Myers

    >> it is an FP - Additional Notes: Replaces and upgrades original FSP
    >> 200-60 ATV Power Supply and others.
    >> http://www.911forpcs.com/ga31posufrde.html
    >>
    >> can't figure out the "smart" power button - and what is really the
    >> logic flow...
    >>
    >> ie - after it powers down, the green led is still on,
    >> as is the Ethernet cable/jack led and the green led on the
    >> motherboard.
    >> 1 - if you try power on now - the red led on the motherboard blinks,
    >> but nothing happens
    >> 2 - if you hold the power button until the green led goes off,
    >> and then wait - and try again - random yes/no-go
    >> 3 - if it works, the red led on the motherboard flashes (longer than a
    >> blink)
    >> and the system powers up
    >> 4 - if not, then nothing - and back to #1
    >>
    >> SO - not sure what it thinks is going on or not... GRRRRRRR

    >
    > have tried booting into BIOS screen - and waiting -
    > sometimes it runs for a long time, sometimes not.
    >
    > tried booting into Windows or a CDrom bootable Linux,
    > and these have been about 5 to 8 minutes before shutdown.
    >
    > Heatsinks are still cold to the touch - can't figure out what's going on
    > ?????
    >
    >

    Still seems like a power supply problem to me... Ben Myers
     
    Ben Myers, Nov 12, 2008
    #7
  8. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    I'm beginning to lean towards a software and/or ACPI problem.

    Running various tests to see how things react when booted differently.

    1 - boot into BIOS screen, just let it sit - runs fine 18+ mins
    2 - boot into Norton DOS prompt, just let it sit - runs fine 45+ mins
    3 - boot into Linux, ACPI active - ??
    4 - boot into Linux, ACPI off - ??
    5 - boot into XP safe mode, power savings = never - ??
    6 - boot into XP normal mode, power savings = never - ??
     
    ps56k, Nov 12, 2008
    #8
  9. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > I'm beginning to lean towards a software and/or ACPI problem.
    >
    > Running various tests to see how things react when booted differently.
    >
    > 1 - boot into BIOS screen, just let it sit - runs fine 18+ mins
    > 2 - boot into Norton DOS prompt, just let it sit - runs fine 45+ mins


    > 3 - boot into Linux, ACPI active - ??
    > 4 - boot into Linux, ACPI off - ??
    > 5 - boot into XP safe mode, power savings = never - ??
    > 6 - boot into XP normal mode, power savings = never - ??


    well - it seems when we boot with nothing "smart",
    but using "dumb" DOS from a bootable CDrom,
    or even just sitting at the BIOS screen,
    that the computer will run forever -
    and.... the fans appear to be running "more" in this "dumb" mode

    when we boot into Linux, even with a ACPI=OFF and NOAPM
    it appears that "something" still controls the APM,
    and I think the fans run slower than in DOS mode,
    and the computer then randomly turns off after only a few minutes.

    same is true with Windows XP - all power settings turned to "off"

    I'm stumped ?????????????
     
    ps56k, Nov 12, 2008
    #9
  10. ps56k

    BillW50 Guest

    ps56k wrote on Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:11:00 -0600:

    > well - it seems when we boot with nothing "smart",
    > but using "dumb" DOS from a bootable CDrom,
    > or even just sitting at the BIOS screen,
    > that the computer will run forever -
    > and.... the fans appear to be running "more" in this "dumb" mode
    >
    > when we boot into Linux, even with a ACPI=OFF and NOAPM
    > it appears that "something" still controls the APM,
    > and I think the fans run slower than in DOS mode,
    > and the computer then randomly turns off after only a few minutes.
    >
    > same is true with Windows XP - all power settings turned to "off"
    >
    > I'm stumped ?????????????


    I haven't been following this thread very closely. But just what I see
    above... I would swap out the memory. As Windows and Linux hits it hard
    and uses all of it while DOS does not. If you have more than one RAM
    card, take one of them out. And then later swap it with the other one.

    And you better check to see if they have to be used in pairs or not.
    Most don't, but you never know until you check. You can check with one
    of the more popular RAM manufacture websites to check this for your model.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
    Windows XP SP2 and Xandros Linux
     
    BillW50, Nov 13, 2008
    #10
  11. ps56k

    Ben Myers Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > ps56k wrote on Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:11:00 -0600:
    >
    >> well - it seems when we boot with nothing "smart",
    >> but using "dumb" DOS from a bootable CDrom,
    >> or even just sitting at the BIOS screen,
    >> that the computer will run forever -
    >> and.... the fans appear to be running "more" in this "dumb" mode
    >>
    >> when we boot into Linux, even with a ACPI=OFF and NOAPM
    >> it appears that "something" still controls the APM,
    >> and I think the fans run slower than in DOS mode,
    >> and the computer then randomly turns off after only a few minutes.
    >>
    >> same is true with Windows XP - all power settings turned to "off"
    >>
    >> I'm stumped ?????????????

    >
    > I haven't been following this thread very closely. But just what I see
    > above... I would swap out the memory. As Windows and Linux hits it hard
    > and uses all of it while DOS does not. If you have more than one RAM
    > card, take one of them out. And then later swap it with the other one.
    >
    > And you better check to see if they have to be used in pairs or not.
    > Most don't, but you never know until you check. You can check with one
    > of the more popular RAM manufacture websites to check this for your model.
    >

    By now, all the dust and dirt have been removed from the interior of the
    computer chassis, the CPU cooling fan, and the power supply with its fan???

    .... Ben Myers
     
    Ben Myers, Nov 13, 2008
    #11
  12. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    this is a real puzzler....

    For anyone actually having a Gateway 310x computer,
    this is what I'm seeing.....

    Running a simple DOS bootable (non-Windows, non-Linux) program
    such as MEMTEST.... to get away from any "power options" of Windows or
    Linux.

    Either booting into the BIOS (F2)
    or booting from CDRom with Knoppix and Memtest...

    Will run for about 8mins and then shutdown... but sometimes longer...
    ..
    BUT - the green light is on (like in some kind of Standby mode)
    I have to hold the Power for 5secs to get the led to turn off.
    Then try to boot.... brief flash of red led on motherboard - nothing -
    Wait awhile - random time - try power button again - it works -

    Boot into Memtest - running - sometimes long, sometimes just 8 mins ????
    Then, the fans are all off, video off, but the green led is on ??
    Back to where we started............
     
    ps56k, Nov 13, 2008
    #12
  13. ps56k

    Ben Myers Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > this is a real puzzler....
    >
    > For anyone actually having a Gateway 310x computer,
    > this is what I'm seeing.....
    >
    > Running a simple DOS bootable (non-Windows, non-Linux) program
    > such as MEMTEST.... to get away from any "power options" of Windows or
    > Linux.
    >
    > Either booting into the BIOS (F2)
    > or booting from CDRom with Knoppix and Memtest...
    >
    > Will run for about 8mins and then shutdown... but sometimes longer...
    > .
    > BUT - the green light is on (like in some kind of Standby mode)
    > I have to hold the Power for 5secs to get the led to turn off.
    > Then try to boot.... brief flash of red led on motherboard - nothing -
    > Wait awhile - random time - try power button again - it works -
    >
    > Boot into Memtest - running - sometimes long, sometimes just 8 mins ????
    > Then, the fans are all off, video off, but the green led is on ??
    > Back to where we started............
    >
    >
    >

    Well, my money is still on a failing power supply. Why? Because both
    Linux and Windows force the CPU (and hard drive and graphics system) to
    work harder and draw more wattage. When the wattage consumed reaches
    the the limit of the power supply, poof! Power off... Ben Myers
     
    Ben Myers, Nov 13, 2008
    #13
  14. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > ps56k wrote:
    >> this is a real puzzler....
    >>
    >> For anyone actually having a Gateway 310x computer,
    >> this is what I'm seeing.....
    >>
    >> Running a simple DOS bootable (non-Windows, non-Linux) program
    >> such as MEMTEST.... to get away from any "power options" of Windows
    >> or Linux.
    >>
    >> Either booting into the BIOS (F2)
    >> or booting from CDRom with Knoppix and Memtest...
    >>
    >> Will run for about 8mins and then shutdown... but sometimes longer...
    >> .
    >> BUT - the green light is on (like in some kind of Standby mode)
    >> I have to hold the Power for 5secs to get the led to turn off.
    >> Then try to boot.... brief flash of red led on motherboard - nothing
    >> - Wait awhile - random time - try power button again - it works -
    >>
    >> Boot into Memtest - running - sometimes long, sometimes just 8 mins
    >> ???? Then, the fans are all off, video off, but the green led is on
    >> ?? Back to where we started............
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Well, my money is still on a failing power supply. Why? Because both
    > Linux and Windows force the CPU (and hard drive and graphics system)
    > to work harder and draw more wattage. When the wattage consumed
    > reaches the the limit of the power supply, poof! Power off... Ben
    > Myers


    I actually plugged in an AC wattmeter (KiloWatt - neat device)
    http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU
    and it was only drawing about 55 watts.... supply is listed as the usual 200
    watts

    I'm borrowing another computer tomorrow to swap the hard disk,
    to get back to my original request of installing and updating some
    software...

    As far as the problem box -
    I may just buy another power supply to see if it resolves things ot satisfy
    my tech brain.
    http://www.911forpcs.com/ga31posufrde.html
     
    ps56k, Nov 14, 2008
    #14
  15. ps56k

    Ben Myers Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> ps56k wrote:
    >>> this is a real puzzler....
    >>>
    >>> For anyone actually having a Gateway 310x computer,
    >>> this is what I'm seeing.....
    >>>
    >>> Running a simple DOS bootable (non-Windows, non-Linux) program
    >>> such as MEMTEST.... to get away from any "power options" of Windows
    >>> or Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Either booting into the BIOS (F2)
    >>> or booting from CDRom with Knoppix and Memtest...
    >>>
    >>> Will run for about 8mins and then shutdown... but sometimes longer...
    >>> .
    >>> BUT - the green light is on (like in some kind of Standby mode)
    >>> I have to hold the Power for 5secs to get the led to turn off.
    >>> Then try to boot.... brief flash of red led on motherboard - nothing
    >>> - Wait awhile - random time - try power button again - it works -
    >>>
    >>> Boot into Memtest - running - sometimes long, sometimes just 8 mins
    >>> ???? Then, the fans are all off, video off, but the green led is on
    >>> ?? Back to where we started............
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Well, my money is still on a failing power supply. Why? Because both
    >> Linux and Windows force the CPU (and hard drive and graphics system)
    >> to work harder and draw more wattage. When the wattage consumed
    >> reaches the the limit of the power supply, poof! Power off... Ben
    >> Myers

    >
    > I actually plugged in an AC wattmeter (KiloWatt - neat device)
    > http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU
    > and it was only drawing about 55 watts.... supply is listed as the usual 200
    > watts
    >
    > I'm borrowing another computer tomorrow to swap the hard disk,
    > to get back to my original request of installing and updating some
    > software...
    >
    > As far as the problem box -
    > I may just buy another power supply to see if it resolves things ot satisfy
    > my tech brain.
    > http://www.911forpcs.com/ga31posufrde.html
    >
    >
    >
    >

    The power supply may be rated at 200w, but a power supply gone marginal
    may either handle a lower maximum or develop glitches under heavy load.

    Have I asked already: Is the power supplyer perhaps a Bestec brand? If
    so, just get on with replacing it. Bestec power supplies earned a poor
    reputation from all the failures of eMachines. When a Bestec power
    supply fails, it often takes the motherboard right along with it.

    .... Ben Myers
     
    Ben Myers, Nov 14, 2008
    #15
  16. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > ps56k wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:
    >>> ps56k wrote:
    >>>> this is a real puzzler....
    >>>>
    >>>> For anyone actually having a Gateway 310x computer,
    >>>> this is what I'm seeing.....
    >>>>
    >>>> Running a simple DOS bootable (non-Windows, non-Linux) program
    >>>> such as MEMTEST.... to get away from any "power options" of Windows
    >>>> or Linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> Either booting into the BIOS (F2)
    >>>> or booting from CDRom with Knoppix and Memtest...
    >>>>
    >>>> Will run for about 8mins and then shutdown... but sometimes
    >>>> longer... .
    >>>> BUT - the green light is on (like in some kind of Standby mode)
    >>>> I have to hold the Power for 5secs to get the led to turn off.
    >>>> Then try to boot.... brief flash of red led on motherboard -
    >>>> nothing - Wait awhile - random time - try power button again - it
    >>>> works - Boot into Memtest - running - sometimes long, sometimes just 8
    >>>> mins
    >>>> ???? Then, the fans are all off, video off, but the green led is on
    >>>> ?? Back to where we started............
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Well, my money is still on a failing power supply. Why? Because
    >>> both Linux and Windows force the CPU (and hard drive and graphics
    >>> system) to work harder and draw more wattage. When the wattage
    >>> consumed reaches the the limit of the power supply, poof! Power
    >>> off... Ben Myers

    >>
    >> I actually plugged in an AC wattmeter (KiloWatt - neat device)
    >> http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU
    >> and it was only drawing about 55 watts.... supply is listed as the
    >> usual 200 watts
    >>
    >> I'm borrowing another computer tomorrow to swap the hard disk,
    >> to get back to my original request of installing and updating some
    >> software...
    >>
    >> As far as the problem box -
    >> I may just buy another power supply to see if it resolves things ot
    >> satisfy my tech brain.
    >> http://www.911forpcs.com/ga31posufrde.html
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > The power supply may be rated at 200w, but a power supply gone
    > marginal may either handle a lower maximum or develop glitches under
    > heavy load.
    > Have I asked already: Is the power supplyer perhaps a Bestec brand? If so,
    > just get on with replacing it. Bestec power supplies earned a
    > poor reputation from all the failures of eMachines. When a Bestec
    > power supply fails, it often takes the motherboard right along with
    > it.

    no - Bestec - it's the other one -
    Additional Notes: Replaces and upgrades original FSP 200-60 ATV Power Supply
    and others.

    BTW - opened up an old HP Pavillion 6635 (Win98) I had in the basement
    hoping to add more memory and bootup XP, but not enough RAM,
    (have to actually remove the drive cages to reach the memory chips -
    nightmare -
    Anyway - it has a Bestec power supply ...
     
    ps56k, Nov 14, 2008
    #16
  17. ps56k

    Guest

    On Nov 14, 12:20 pm, "ps56k" <>
    wrote:
    > no - Bestec - it's the other one -
    > Additional Notes: Replaces and upgrades original FSP 200-60 ATV Power Supply
    > and others.


    Using information provided, nobody can provide a useful answer. In
    less than two minutes, you could either have definitive answers or a
    reply that does not include "it could be this or could be that". For
    about the price of a hammer (and sold where hammers are also sold), a
    multimeter measures VDC voltages on various power supply wires, both
    before and when power supply is turned on.

    The principle is simple. Even defective parts can boot and run a
    system. But those defective parts get worse with age or start causing
    intermittent shutdowns. A less than two minute procedure was posted
    "When your computer dies without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in
    the newsgroup alt.windows-xp at:
    http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh
    Connector chart to locate each color:
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html

    In your case, numbers from any one of red, orange, purple, and yellow
    wires are most informative especially when the computer is accessing
    (multitasking) to all peripherals simultaneously. IOW playing complex
    video graphics (ie a movie), while downloading from the Internet,
    while playing a CD, while outputting sound, while searching each hard
    drive, while the modem is connected, while ... now the computer is
    ready to measure voltages on those four wires. Those numbers must
    exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7. And then post those numbers to obtain
    further helpful information. A reply that has no useless 'it could be
    this or could be that' speculation.
     
    , Nov 14, 2008
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kodex
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,700
    Bill Drake
    Aug 31, 2003
  2. Wingman
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    239
  3. petee
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    580
    petee
    Jul 4, 2003
  4. TE
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    926
  5. Bob Smith
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,461
Loading...

Share This Page