Gateway desktop help

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Bill, Jun 24, 2009.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    My son has a MFBTX6C1DX210S, which I bought for him a while back. He
    recently had some XP updates and he could not reboot after the installation.
    It would start then stop and say " no signal" He cannot get into safe mode.
    F8 etc etc doesn't work. He lives a good distance from me so I cant be there
    to see for myself. He also cannot find the original XP disk to try and
    repair.

    I checked the Gateway site and based on the serial number they no longer
    support it but some other MPC company which I cant locate. I would try and
    buy the disks if possible

    He has tried unplugging power supply, unplugging monitor and nothing works

    Any tips or suggestions on what may resolve the problem would be
    appreciated. My google search hasn't turned up anything

    Many thanks

    Bill

    Bill, Jun 24, 2009

  2. Bill

    Ben Myers Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > My son has a MFBTX6C1DX210S, which I bought for him a while back. He
    > recently had some XP updates and he could not reboot after the installation.
    > It would start then stop and say " no signal" He cannot get into safe mode.
    > F8 etc etc doesn't work. He lives a good distance from me so I cant be there
    > to see for myself. He also cannot find the original XP disk to try and
    > repair.
    >
    > I checked the Gateway site and based on the serial number they no longer
    > support it but some other MPC company which I cant locate. I would try and
    > buy the disks if possible
    >
    > He has tried unplugging power supply, unplugging monitor and nothing works
    >
    > Any tips or suggestions on what may resolve the problem would be
    > appreciated. My google search hasn't turned up anything
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Bill

    Bill,

    ICK! What else can one say?

    Your son's computer was evidently bought through a large corporation or
    government agency. Gateway sold off its big customer business to MPC,
    who have since pretty much vanished.

    His best bet is to spend the bucks on an XP Pro CD or to get a copy from
    someone. Most any XP Pro CD will do to boot the system and do a repair
    of the XP software. The system has an Intel BTX motherboard, so it
    undoubtedly has a SATA drive. For this, your son needs an XP Pro CD
    with either Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 integrated in. If he tries
    a repair with earlier XP Pro, it will fail because the CD does not have
    SATA drive support built in... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 25, 2009

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > Bill wrote:
    >> My son has a MFBTX6C1DX210S, which I bought for him a while back. He
    >> recently had some XP updates and he could not reboot after the
    >> installation. It would start then stop and say " no signal" He cannot get
    >> into safe mode. F8 etc etc doesn't work. He lives a good distance from me
    >> so I cant be there to see for myself. He also cannot find the original XP
    >> disk to try and repair.
    >>
    >> I checked the Gateway site and based on the serial number they no longer
    >> support it but some other MPC company which I cant locate. I would try
    >> and buy the disks if possible
    >>
    >> He has tried unplugging power supply, unplugging monitor and nothing
    >> works
    >>
    >> Any tips or suggestions on what may resolve the problem would be
    >> appreciated. My google search hasn't turned up anything
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Bill,
    >
    > ICK! What else can one say?
    >
    > Your son's computer was evidently bought through a large corporation or
    > government agency. Gateway sold off its big customer business to MPC, who
    > have since pretty much vanished.
    >
    > His best bet is to spend the bucks on an XP Pro CD or to get a copy from
    > someone. Most any XP Pro CD will do to boot the system and do a repair of
    > the XP software. The system has an Intel BTX motherboard, so it
    > undoubtedly has a SATA drive. For this, your son needs an XP Pro CD with
    > either Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 integrated in. If he tries a
    > repair with earlier XP Pro, it will fail because the CD does not have SATA
    > drive support built in... Ben Myers

    ICK is right Ben :)

    I bought it as a regular consumer from Gateway online as a gift for him when
    he was moving North.
    It has the regular XP home version so I guess he will have to buy or borrow
    a copy as you suggest

    Thanks as usual for the reply
    Bill

    Bill, Jun 25, 2009
  4. Bill

    Ben Myers Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> My son has a MFBTX6C1DX210S, which I bought for him a while back. He
    >>> recently had some XP updates and he could not reboot after the
    >>> installation. It would start then stop and say " no signal" He cannot get
    >>> into safe mode. F8 etc etc doesn't work. He lives a good distance from me
    >>> so I cant be there to see for myself. He also cannot find the original XP
    >>> disk to try and repair.
    >>>
    >>> I checked the Gateway site and based on the serial number they no longer
    >>> support it but some other MPC company which I cant locate. I would try
    >>> and buy the disks if possible
    >>>
    >>> He has tried unplugging power supply, unplugging monitor and nothing
    >>> works
    >>>
    >>> Any tips or suggestions on what may resolve the problem would be
    >>> appreciated. My google search hasn't turned up anything
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks
    >>>
    >>> Bill

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> ICK! What else can one say?
    >>
    >> Your son's computer was evidently bought through a large corporation or
    >> government agency. Gateway sold off its big customer business to MPC, who
    >> have since pretty much vanished.
    >>
    >> His best bet is to spend the bucks on an XP Pro CD or to get a copy from
    >> someone. Most any XP Pro CD will do to boot the system and do a repair of
    >> the XP software. The system has an Intel BTX motherboard, so it
    >> undoubtedly has a SATA drive. For this, your son needs an XP Pro CD with
    >> either Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 integrated in. If he tries a
    >> repair with earlier XP Pro, it will fail because the CD does not have SATA
    >> drive support built in... Ben Myers

    > ICK is right Ben :)
    >
    > I bought it as a regular consumer from Gateway online as a gift for him when
    > he was moving North.
    > It has the regular XP home version so I guess he will have to buy or borrow
    > a copy as you suggest
    >
    > Thanks as usual for the reply
    > Bill

    FWIW, A Dell XP Home version will do, because he could use a nifty
    little program called Keyfinder to change the product key in the system
    to match what is on the sticker on the system. You do so before doing
    the on-line product activation nonsense, after which the software is
    activated, legit, etc etc. So I have been told... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 25, 2009
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > Bill wrote:
    >> "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bill,
    >>>
    >>> ICK! What else can one say?
    >>>
    >>> Your son's computer was evidently bought through a large corporation or
    >>> government agency. Gateway sold off its big customer business to MPC,
    >>> who have since pretty much vanished.
    >>>
    >>> His best bet is to spend the bucks on an XP Pro CD or to get a copy from
    >>> someone. Most any XP Pro CD will do to boot the system and do a repair
    >>> of the XP software. The system has an Intel BTX motherboard, so it
    >>> undoubtedly has a SATA drive. For this, your son needs an XP Pro CD
    >>> with either Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 integrated in. If he tries
    >>> a repair with earlier XP Pro, it will fail because the CD does not have
    >>> SATA drive support built in... Ben Myers

    >> ICK is right Ben :)
    >>
    >> I bought it as a regular consumer from Gateway online as a gift for him
    >> when he was moving North.
    >> It has the regular XP home version so I guess he will have to buy or
    >> borrow a copy as you suggest
    >>
    >> Thanks as usual for the reply
    >> Bill

    > FWIW, A Dell XP Home version will do, because he could use a nifty little
    > program called Keyfinder to change the product key in the system to match
    > what is on the sticker on the system. You do so before doing the on-line
    > product activation nonsense, after which the software is activated, legit,
    > etc etc. So I have been told... Ben Myers

    Thanks for the tip
    Bill

    Bill, Jun 25, 2009