    Apricorn Clone program. Or would I need another external HD?

    Lee (confused in Florida)

    Added info: Using Vista
    Lee, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Hi!

    > I just recently added a second SATA drive. My question is could I
    > clone the primary HD to the second one without causing any problems?

    Simply put, no. Each SATA port is intended for use with one drive, and what
    you read about the lack of master/slave settings on SATA is correct. The
    drives don't have such settings because they don't need them.

    To hook up the second drive, you will need to find another SATA port on the
    motherboard in your computer. If there isn't one, you may have to add a port
    by way of a controller card installed in an expansion slot.

    The computer has a few ways it can determine which drive to start up from,
    but the most common is to simply try a preconfigured list of choices...like
    floppy drive, CD/DVD-ROM, hard disk 0, hard disk 1 and so on until it runs
    out of options or manages to find something that is startable. You can
    adjust this by going into system setup (your computer should tell you what
    key to press when it is starting).

    When you run a cloning program on one drive and transfer its contents to
    another, the data on each drive should then be identical. And it is, for the
    most part. If this utility you mention runs in Windows, however, there are
    files that may not be cloned or that will change slightly during the cloning
    process. However, most of these programs work manually--meaning that you
    have to run them and let them work in order to keep things up to date. It is
    easy to forget about doing this until disaster strikes.

    Hope this info helps.

    William
    William R. Walsh, Jan 17, 2008

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi William

    I do have the SATA drive up and running and had several SATA ports to
    hook it to. I had figured with the Vista set up and McAfee if the
    computer could recognize and boot from the Master drive and ignore the
    cloned drive it would be easier to keep up with cloning the master
    drive for backup. If I understood you correctly it seems if the
    Master drive is HD 0 and the Cloned drive is HD 1 then the computer
    would boot from HD 0 and there would be no confusion by the computer
    as to which drive to boot from? Do I have that right? The program I
    run is from Apricorn.com called EZ Gig II and it worked great on XP
    and I just got the update for Vista and the program can be installed
    on the computer so it will do a complete restore etc. But on cloning
    a drive you have to boot with the disk and it does a complete cloning
    of the Master HD. At my advanced state of decay (68)sometimes I don't
    understand it all and you have been a big help with your explanation.
    If you see anything above that may have been a wrong conclusion
    please feel free to comment.

    Lee, Jan 17, 2008