    where I can get the software to get this going again? Media Center says
    there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the Windows 7
    install.

    Annie Woughman, Nov 29, 2009

  2. Annie Woughman

    Ben Myers Guest

    Annie Woughman wrote:
    > I just updated my Gateway GM5091E desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7.
    > Everything seems to be working fine except for the TV tuner. I couldn't
    > find anything on the Gateway site for it. I opened the box and it seems
    > to be an ATI tuner, but the ATI site didn't seem to have to correct
    > drivers or software for it. Also on the card was T55E_LF Ver 1.1. Does
    > anyone know where I can get the software to get this going again? Media
    > Center says there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the
    > Windows 7 install.

    If ATI does not have drivers for the TV tuner, nobody does. ATI writes
    and tests the drivers, puts the driver CD in the box for sale at retail
    and provides drivers to OEM customers like Gateway.

    ATI may yet provide a driver. If not, the tuner is a casualty to the
    planned obsolescence coalition among Microsoft and all of its
    Independent Hardware Vendors (IHVs). Microsoft changes the way hardware
    drivers work from release to release, and IHVs have a choice to update
    the drivers or not. With mainstream hardware like business-class HP
    LaserJets, the choice is a no-brainer. Same with piddly 56K modems,
    wifi cards, and some other very common hardware. But TV tuners,
    scanners, cheap inkjet printers, some video cards, and some audio cards
    fall by the wayside whenever there is a new Windows release. This is
    how the computer industry stimulates the economy, getting us to buy
    replacement equipment before the older equipment is worn out.

    It's interesting that the ATI TV tuner is a not-very-old PCI-Express
    model. Because of its relative newness, compared to a PCI TV tuner, the
    odds of ATI eventually doing a Vista/Win 7 driver are pretty good.

    This leads me to ask whether the ATI web site has a Vista driver for the
    tuner, and whether you have tried to install it??? Windows 7 is not
    terribly different than Vista inside. In fact, it is what Vista should
    have been right at the beginning, instead of Microsoft foisting a lot of
    bloated and useless eye candy out on the public.

    I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
    similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
    system... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 29, 2009

  3. "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > Annie Woughman wrote:
    >> I just updated my Gateway GM5091E desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7.
    >> Everything seems to be working fine except for the TV tuner. I couldn't
    >> find anything on the Gateway site for it. I opened the box and it seems
    >> to be an ATI tuner, but the ATI site didn't seem to have to correct
    >> drivers or software for it. Also on the card was T55E_LF Ver 1.1. Does
    >> anyone know where I can get the software to get this going again? Media
    >> Center says there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the
    >> Windows 7 install.

    > If ATI does not have drivers for the TV tuner, nobody does. ATI writes
    > and tests the drivers, puts the driver CD in the box for sale at retail
    > and provides drivers to OEM customers like Gateway.
    >
    > ATI may yet provide a driver. If not, the tuner is a casualty to the
    > planned obsolescence coalition among Microsoft and all of its Independent
    > Hardware Vendors (IHVs). Microsoft changes the way hardware drivers work
    > from release to release, and IHVs have a choice to update the drivers or
    > not. With mainstream hardware like business-class HP LaserJets, the
    > choice is a no-brainer. Same with piddly 56K modems, wifi cards, and some
    > other very common hardware. But TV tuners, scanners, cheap inkjet
    > printers, some video cards, and some audio cards fall by the wayside
    > whenever there is a new Windows release. This is how the computer
    > industry stimulates the economy, getting us to buy replacement equipment
    > before the older equipment is worn out.
    >
    > It's interesting that the ATI TV tuner is a not-very-old PCI-Express
    > model. Because of its relative newness, compared to a PCI TV tuner, the
    > odds of ATI eventually doing a Vista/Win 7 driver are pretty good.
    >
    > This leads me to ask whether the ATI web site has a Vista driver for the
    > tuner, and whether you have tried to install it??? Windows 7 is not
    > terribly different than Vista inside. In fact, it is what Vista should
    > have been right at the beginning, instead of Microsoft foisting a lot of
    > bloated and useless eye candy out on the public.

    I downloaded two different drivers from the ATI site, and neither seemed to
    do the trick. One of them was dated 7/09.

    > I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
    > similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
    > system... Ben Myers

    What I find weird is that the tuner doesn't even show up in the Hardware
    manager as an unknown device. It is like it isn't even in the machine. I
    even took it out, restarted the machine, turned off the machine and put the
    card back in and there was no indication of "new hardware."

    Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
    screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen and
    now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the screen.
    Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the screen
    resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is also a
    Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.

    Annie Woughman, Nov 29, 2009
  4. Annie Woughman

    SC Tom Guest

    "Annie Woughman" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
    >> similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
    >> system... Ben Myers

    > What I find weird is that the tuner doesn't even show up in the Hardware
    > manager as an unknown device. It is like it isn't even in the machine. I
    > even took it out, restarted the machine, turned off the machine and put
    > the card back in and there was no indication of "new hardware."
    >
    > Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
    > screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen and
    > now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the
    > screen. Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the
    > screen resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is
    > also a Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.

    I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger Woods
    2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a re-sized
    DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
    I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Nov 29, 2009
  5. "SC Tom" <> wrote in message

    > "Annie Woughman" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    >> Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
    >> screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen and
    >> now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the
    >> screen. Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the
    >> screen resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is
    >> also a Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.
    >>

    > I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger
    > Woods
    > 2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a
    > re-sized
    > DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
    > I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.
    >
    > SC Tom

    Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
    monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full screen
    mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the older
    monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I have to
    give the monitor back to hubby :-(

    Annie Woughman, Nov 29, 2009
  6. Annie Woughman

    > "SC Tom" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Annie Woughman" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    >>> Also, I've noticed that I cannot get a couple of my games to play full
    >>> screen now. We are a big fan of Zuma and usually play it full screen
    >>> and
    >>> now it will only show up as a little 4 X 6 box in the middle of the
    >>> screen. Do you have any suggestions there? I tried messing with the
    >>> screen resolution, but that didn't do anything either. The monitor is
    >>> also a Gateway, I believe 21" flatscreen.
    >>>

    >> I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger
    >> Woods
    >> 2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a
    >> re-sized
    >> DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
    >> I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.
    >>
    >> SC Tom
    >>

    > Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
    > monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full
    > screen mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the
    > older monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I
    > have to give the monitor back to hubby :-(

    Check the monitor manufacturer's web site and see if they have an updated
    Win7 inf file for it.
    Or tell hubby to get you one (or one for himself) for Christmas :)

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Nov 29, 2009
  7. "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > Annie Woughman wrote:
    >> I just updated my Gateway GM5091E desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7.
    >> Everything seems to be working fine except for the TV tuner. I couldn't
    >> find anything on the Gateway site for it. I opened the box and it seems
    >> to be an ATI tuner, but the ATI site didn't seem to have to correct
    >> drivers or software for it. Also on the card was T55E_LF Ver 1.1. Does
    >> anyone know where I can get the software to get this going again? Media
    >> Center says there is no tuner installed. It was working fine until the
    >> Windows 7 install.

    > If ATI does not have drivers for the TV tuner, nobody does. ATI writes
    > and tests the drivers, puts the driver CD in the box for sale at retail
    > and provides drivers to OEM customers like Gateway.
    >
    > ATI may yet provide a driver. If not, the tuner is a casualty to the
    > planned obsolescence coalition among Microsoft and all of its Independent
    > Hardware Vendors (IHVs). Microsoft changes the way hardware drivers work
    > from release to release, and IHVs have a choice to update the drivers or
    > not. With mainstream hardware like business-class HP LaserJets, the
    > choice is a no-brainer. Same with piddly 56K modems, wifi cards, and some
    > other very common hardware. But TV tuners, scanners, cheap inkjet
    > printers, some video cards, and some audio cards fall by the wayside
    > whenever there is a new Windows release. This is how the computer
    > industry stimulates the economy, getting us to buy replacement equipment
    > before the older equipment is worn out.
    >
    > It's interesting that the ATI TV tuner is a not-very-old PCI-Express
    > model. Because of its relative newness, compared to a PCI TV tuner, the
    > odds of ATI eventually doing a Vista/Win 7 driver are pretty good.
    >
    > This leads me to ask whether the ATI web site has a Vista driver for the
    > tuner, and whether you have tried to install it??? Windows 7 is not
    > terribly different than Vista inside. In fact, it is what Vista should
    > have been right at the beginning, instead of Microsoft foisting a lot of
    > bloated and useless eye candy out on the public.
    >
    > I am interested in the results you might get, because I have a very
    > similar (identical?) ATI TV tuner I recently pulled from a failed Dell
    > system... Ben Myers

    I found software at
    http://www.nodevice.com/driver/company/ATI/TV_Tuner.html
    I downloaded the one for the Theater 550 Pro. It says it is an XP driver,
    but it got the computer to recognize the tuner and then Media Center took
    over from there. I was just getting ready to go out and buy another tuner,
    I'm glad I gave it one more try.

    Annie Woughman, Nov 30, 2009
  8. "SC Tom" <> wrote in message

    > "Annie Woughman" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "SC Tom" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "Annie Woughman" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have that same problem on my M-6850FX laptop. A few games like Tiger
    >>> Woods
    >>> 2006 play in a window instead of full screen. It's like watching a
    >>> re-sized
    >>> DVD movie on a wide-screen TV.
    >>> I don't have Zuma, but Bejeweled 2 displays like TW2006.
    >>>
    >>> SC Tom
    >>>

    >> Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
    >> monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full
    >> screen mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the
    >> older monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I
    >> have to give the monitor back to hubby :-(

    > Check the monitor manufacturer's web site and see if they have an updated
    > Win7 inf file for it.
    > Or tell hubby to get you one (or one for himself) for Christmas :)
    >
    > SC Tom

    Funny thing, after I put the old monitor back on my PC, both games now play
    in full screen mode. Yay! I am happy with my new Win 7 install now that I
    have my TV tuner working and my games playing in full screen.

    Annie Woughman, Nov 30, 2009
  9. Annie Woughman

    > "SC Tom" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Annie Woughman" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "SC Tom" <> wrote in message

    >>> Side note here. I just tried a different monitor with the same PC. The
    >>> monitor is a newer HP w2207h and I was able to play the games in full
    >>> screen mode. So, that leads me to believe that problem lies within the
    >>> older monitor and not the Windows 7 installation. Only problem being--I
    >>> have to give the monitor back to hubby :-(

    >> Check the monitor manufacturer's web site and see if they have an updated
    >> Win7 inf file for it.
    >> Or tell hubby to get you one (or one for himself) for Christmas :)
    >>
    >> SC Tom
    >>

    > Funny thing, after I put the old monitor back on my PC, both games now
    > play in full screen mode. Yay! I am happy with my new Win 7 install now
    > that I have my TV tuner working and my games playing in full screen.

    Good, I'm glad it's all working for you. I think you'll like Win7; I know I
    do.

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Nov 30, 2009
  10. Annie Woughman

    BillW50 Guest

    SC Tom wrote:
    > Good, I'm glad it's all working for you. I think you'll like Win7; I
    > know I do.

    I guess I fall into the 20% camp that doesn't like Windows 7. Sorry I
    preordered two Windows 7 copies now which sits on the shelf unopened. I
    am also one of the ones that doesn't like Linux either. Even though I am
    using it now. As Avast is flagging false positives on my Windows
    machines and I don't have much of a choice until I get them fixed. lol

    http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=377

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    BillW50, Dec 3, 2009
  11. Annie Woughman

    SC Tom Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > SC Tom wrote:
    >> Good, I'm glad it's all working for you. I think you'll like Win7; I know
    >> I do.

    > I guess I fall into the 20% camp that doesn't like Windows 7. Sorry I
    > preordered two Windows 7 copies now which sits on the shelf unopened. I am
    > also one of the ones that doesn't like Linux either. Even though I am
    > using it now. As Avast is flagging false positives on my Windows machines
    > and I don't have much of a choice until I get them fixed. lol
    >
    > http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=377
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    > Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)

    Well, that sucks (the false positive, that is)! I had that problem with
    ZoneAlarm a while back.
    Not everyone likes 7, and I wouldn't expect them to. If everyone liked it,
    there would be no competition, which would then result in stagnation. I like
    it on my notebook, but that's probably because it came with Vista and I
    didn't like that at all. After messing with it for a few months, I finally
    got all the stuff out of it that I wanted out, and working the way I wanted
    it to work. After continuously (it seemed) tweaking it, Vista was OK by the
    time I decided to put Win7 on it (I preordered it, also). All of that gave
    me a good head start on how 7 was going to be, but I was surprised about the
    difference in speed of everything and the stability of it, even though Vista
    was stable when I upgraded it.
    I still have XPSP3 on my desktop, and will probably leave it until I can no
    longer run it. I would have put XP on my notebook if I had been able to get
    the drivers for it from Gateway (or anywhere else, for that matter).

    SC Tom
    P.S. You could probably make a few dollars selling your unopened copies on
    eBay :) Are they upgrades or full installs?

    SC Tom, Dec 3, 2009
  12. Annie Woughman

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:rISRm.51255$,
    SC Tom typed on Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:38:46 -0500:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> SC Tom wrote:
    >>> Good, I'm glad it's all working for you. I think you'll like Win7;
    >>> I know I do.

    >> I guess I fall into the 20% camp that doesn't like Windows 7. Sorry I
    >> preordered two Windows 7 copies now which sits on the shelf
    >> unopened. I am also one of the ones that doesn't like Linux either.
    >> Even though I am using it now. As Avast is flagging false positives
    >> on my Windows machines and I don't have much of a choice until I get
    >> them fixed. lol
    >> http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=377
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill
    >> Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    >> Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)

    > Well, that sucks (the false positive, that is)! I had that problem
    > with ZoneAlarm a while back.
    > Not everyone likes 7, and I wouldn't expect them to. If everyone
    > liked it, there would be no competition, which would then result in
    > stagnation. I like it on my notebook, but that's probably because it
    > came with Vista and I didn't like that at all. After messing with it
    > for a few months, I finally got all the stuff out of it that I wanted
    > out, and working the way I wanted it to work. After continuously (it
    > seemed) tweaking it, Vista was OK by the time I decided to put Win7
    > on it (I preordered it, also). All of that gave me a good head start
    > on how 7 was going to be, but I was surprised about the difference in
    > speed of everything and the stability of it, even though Vista was
    > stable when I upgraded it. I still have XPSP3 on my desktop, and will
    > probably leave it until I
    > can no longer run it. I would have put XP on my notebook if I had
    > been able to get the drivers for it from Gateway (or anywhere else,
    > for that matter).
    > SC Tom
    > P.S. You could probably make a few dollars selling your unopened
    > copies on eBay :) Are they upgrades or full installs?

    Hi Tom! Avast fixed it right away, so that part is all back to normal
    again.

    I have many Windows XP machines and they all have Celeron M CPUs with
    Intel 915 chips. And Windows 7 causes them to heat up more by 10 to 20°,
    heavier HDD use, DRM and UAC issues, and problems with 5% of the Windows
    software I want to run. Plus being the administrator doesn't mean you
    have full access anymore. And all of this bothers me. So Windows XP
    might be the last Windows version I will ever run. lol

    I never had any Vista machines, so not much from me there. And I only
    have a few hours of experience with a few of them. So to me, Windows 7
    and Vista looks and feels very much the same. I have Windows 7
    Evaluation (build 7100) running on two of my systems since June.
    Although I can't wait to reclaim the disk space for something else. They
    quit working next May. ;-)

    Yes I could sell off those Windows 7 upgrades. But you may never know,
    something might come along that needs Windows 7 and won't work with
    Windows XP. Then I might need them again. Hopefully it will never come
    to that though. ;-)

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Dec 3, 2009
  13. Annie Woughman

    Ben Myers Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
> [...]

    > heavier HDD use, DRM and UAC issues, and problems with 5% of the Windows
    > software I want to run. Plus being the administrator doesn't mean you
    > have full access anymore. And all of this bothers me. So Windows XP
    > might be the last Windows version I will ever run. lol
    >
    > I never had any Vista machines, so not much from me there. And I only
    > have a few hours of experience with a few of them. So to me, Windows 7
    > and Vista looks and feels very much the same. I have Windows 7
    > Evaluation (build 7100) running on two of my systems since June.
    > Although I can't wait to reclaim the disk space for something else. They
    > quit working next May. ;-)
    >
    > Yes I could sell off those Windows 7 upgrades. But you may never know,
    > something might come along that needs Windows 7 and won't work with
    > Windows XP. Then I might need them again. Hopefully it will never come

    My quick summary from the use I've made of both Windows 7 and Vista is
    that Windows 7 is Vista Service Pack 3 (or is it 2? or 4?). Windows 7
    bears the same relationship to Vista that existed between Windows 98 and 95.

    I, too, will stick with XP on my main machine, used for slipstreaming
    software, data recovery, and all sorts of non-routine tasks that might
    break with Windows 7... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 3, 2009
  14. Annie Woughman

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hf97f5$8cu$-september.org,
    Ben Myers typed on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:35:47 -0500:
    > My quick summary from the use I've made of both Windows 7 and Vista is
    > that Windows 7 is Vista Service Pack 3 (or is it 2? or 4?). Windows
    > 7 bears the same relationship to Vista that existed between Windows
    > 98 and 95.
    > I, too, will stick with XP on my main machine, used for slipstreaming
    > software, data recovery, and all sorts of non-routine tasks that might
    > break with Windows 7... Ben Myers

    Sounds good to me. I liked Windows 3.1x a lot as well as Windows 95. Of
    course, Windows 98SE was even far better. Then Windows 2000 was much
    better on newer systems (512MB systems was sweet) followed by Windows XP
    (1GB systems was nice here).

    Although Microsoft changed direction with Vista and Windows 7. I do like
    the Taskbar and the widgets. Although there is nothing else that I can
    think of that I actually like.

    BillW50, Dec 3, 2009
  15. Annie Woughman

    Ken Whiton Guest

    *-* On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, at 13:34:05 -0600,
    *-* In Article <hf93rk$5e4$-september.org>,
    *-* BillW50 wrote
    *-* About Re: Gateway GM5091E

    [ ... ]

    > Yes I could sell off those Windows 7 upgrades. But you may never
    > know, something might come along that needs Windows 7 and won't work
    > with Windows XP. Then I might need them again. Hopefully it will
    > never come to that though. ;-)

    That would be a good time to have a VM set up, with Windows 7
    running inside it. ;-)

    Ken Whiton
    --
    FIDO: 1:132/152