Gateway jerks charging me for System Recovery Disk

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Ablang, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    You gotta love these guys. They remind me of some eBay sellers.

    --

    Subject: Re: Gateway General Customer Service Questions AA3
    (KMM25503368V12093L0KM)

    Hello Ron,

    Thank you for your e-mail. With regard to the System Recovery Discs
    for
    your computer, I can process an order for you. In order to process
    your
    order, you will need to provide a method of payment. For your
    protection, Gateway no longer accepts credit card numbers via e-mail.
    Instead, we have a secured site where this information can be entered.
    This information will only be accessible to Gateway, for the purposes
    of
    placing this specific order. Please click on the link below to begin
    this process:

    https://www.gateway.com/support/contact/contact_ccinfo.asp?srn=T365AK1011565&cusid=7598050

    If the Service Request Number and Customer ID are not automatically
    filled in, please enter them manually. Your Service Request Number is
    T365AK101 and your Customer ID is 7598050.

    The cost of shipping and handling for this part is $20. Any
    applicable
    taxes will apply to this amount. Please note that you will not be
    charged anything more or less than this amount. Also note that this
    charge is for shipping and handling, and not the product itself.

    Please respond to this message to let me know that your information
    has
    been submitted. Once I receive your reply, I will place the order for
    you. I will then e-mail you back with your order number.

    I have documented this correspondence in Service Request Number
    205518569 in our contact tracking database. Please use this number in
    the future if you need to contact us again regarding this issue.

    Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with
    this
    issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to
    ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my
    colleagues.

    Sincerely,

    Teresa
    Badge GWEL9621

    A memory upgrade is often times the best value for increasing overall
    computer performance. It is also one of the easist upgrades you can
    perform. Chat with our sales staff today by simply clicking on or
    inserting the link below into your browser.

    https://support.gateway.com/Support/copilot/en/us/chat_us_gw_upgrade.asp?id=6209

    Information provided pursuant to Gateway's and/or eMachine's Terms of
    Sale and Limited Warranty Agreement. All brands and names are
    trademarks of their respective companies.

    Original Message Follows:
    -------------------------

    General Customer Service Questions
    Issue Description: I need the Gateway System Recovery discs that I
    never
    got w/ my computer. I remember not having any CDs/DVDs of anything b/
    it was all on the computer already.

    Ablang, Jan 17, 2008

  2. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    I forgot to say they are charging me for something I should have
    gotten in the 1st place w/ my purchase.

    Ablang, Jan 17, 2008

  3. Ablang

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, yes and no. Microsoft has put serious pressure on its name-brand OEMs to
    NOT include the system restore CDs with the purchase of a new system. Dell
    used to include all the CDs automatically with each system shipped. Now you
    have to ask Dell for them and pay another $10 to have them put in the box. If
    you buy most any brand of computer in a big box store these days, you will not
    get any recovery CDs or DVDs (Vista WOW). With luck, you will get some software
    pre-installed with the operating system to let you burn your own recovery CDs.

    Honestly, Gateway's $20 is not an outrageous amount to charge for the CDs, given
    industry trends.

    I sell both refurb and new computers, and I provide full restore CDs with every
    system I sell, even the refurb Dells that leave here. Other smaller resellers
    do not provide the CDs, in effect screwing over the customer if the system ever,
    ever needs Windows reinstalled.

    Bite the bullet. Spend the $20... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 17, 2008