Gateway M320 Broken Screen

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Justin, Dec 23, 2009.

  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Hi folks, I have an old Gateway M320 with a line through the screen.
    Here are a picture of the line - obviously I need to replace the screen.
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/ad322960885145
    I know its not the video drivers since the line is there before the OS
    loads.

    My first question is, what part number do I need to replace the screen?
    I searched eBay for M320 LCD and I get some results with and without
    the external plastic trim.

    Then there is the broken plastic on the rear of the hinges - thanks to
    somebody picking up the machine by the screen. Several times here are
    the pictures of each hinge.
    What do I need to replace that?
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/bd140260885151
    and
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/3c46c160885152

    Should I get the entire LCD screen plus the plastic trim to fix the line
    and broken hinge? Kill two birds with one bullet?

    Justin, Dec 23, 2009

  2. In article <hgsdem$g46$-september.org>,
    Justin <> wrote:

    >Should I get the entire LCD screen plus the plastic trim to fix the line
    >and broken hinge? Kill two birds with one bullet?

    Laptops almost always decompose into a top unit consisting of the
    lcd screen and related components and the bottom unit consisting of everything
    else :) You can usually buy one or the other on the used market. Replacing
    the entire unit at once is much easier than taking either one apart and
    replacing a sub-assembly, so try to buy an entire top lid, plastic, LCD,
    and all.

    the wharf rat, Dec 23, 2009

  3. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    the wharf rat wrote:
    > In article <hgsdem$g46$-september.org>,
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >> Should I get the entire LCD screen plus the plastic trim to fix the line
    >> and broken hinge? Kill two birds with one bullet?
    >>

    > Laptops almost always decompose into a top unit consisting of the
    > lcd screen and related components and the bottom unit consisting of everything
    > else :) You can usually buy one or the other on the used market. Replacing
    > the entire unit at once is much easier than taking either one apart and
    > replacing a sub-assembly, so try to buy an entire top lid, plastic, LCD,
    > and all.

    Agreed. Taking apart a laptop LCD screen is a tedious and
    time-consuming effort. And then there is getting it back together.

    The line is possibly caused by a kink in one of the cables going to the
    screen... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 23, 2009
  4. Justin

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hgsdem$g46$-september.org,
    Justin typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:30:43 -0500:
    > Hi folks, I have an old Gateway M320 with a line through the screen.
    > Here are a picture of the line - obviously I need to replace the
    > screen. http://www.imagebam.com/image/ad322960885145
    > I know its not the video drivers since the line is there before the OS
    > loads.
    >
    > My first question is, what part number do I need to replace the
    > screen? I searched eBay for M320 LCD and I get some results with and
    > without the external plastic trim.

    Hi Justin! Well that could be the LCD, video cable, or video card on the
    motherboard. Does it look okay on an external monitor? If so, it there
    is a good chance that another LCD will take care of it. But no
    guarantees.

    > Then there is the broken plastic on the rear of the hinges - thanks to
    > somebody picking up the machine by the screen. Several times here are
    > the pictures of each hinge.
    > What do I need to replace that?
    > http://www.imagebam.com/image/bd140260885151
    > and
    > http://www.imagebam.com/image/3c46c160885152
    >
    > Should I get the entire LCD screen plus the plastic trim to fix the
    > line and broken hinge? Kill two birds with one bullet?

    Yes most definitely. I've never seen the Gateway hinges break there. You
    lucked out. As usually they break off from the bottom clamshell. And it
    is usually only the left one. And the old fix was to replace the whole
    bottom case. And used prices were outrages. Although the prices has
    dropped a lot since one bright guy has manufactured an aluminum block
    that screws into the video port socket. Like this one, eBay #
    320466252183.

    Speaking about lifting up a machine by the screen, which is usually a
    bad thing to do. But I noticed these Asus EeePC 700 series netbooks,
    this practice is just fine. As the lid and the hinges can support the
    weight many times over the weight of the netbook itself.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2009
  5. Justin

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hgtcp7$kev$-september.org,
    Ben Myers typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:25:27 -0500:
    > the wharf rat wrote:
    >> In article <hgsdem$g46$-september.org>,
    >> Justin <> wrote:
    >>> Should I get the entire LCD screen plus the plastic trim to fix the
    >>> line and broken hinge? Kill two birds with one bullet?
    >>>

    >> Laptops almost always decompose into a top unit consisting of the
    >> lcd screen and related components and the bottom unit consisting of
    >> everything else :) You can usually buy one or the other on the
    >> used market. Replacing the entire unit at once is much easier than
    >> taking either one apart and replacing a sub-assembly, so try to buy
    >> an entire top lid, plastic, LCD, and all.

    > Agreed. Taking apart a laptop LCD screen is a tedious and
    > time-consuming effort. And then there is getting it back together.

    I guess it is all relative. If you are replacing LCDs all of the time,
    it seems pretty easy. Although I guess your mind is running in that auto
    pilot mode and you don't notice it being so tedious anymore. <grin>

    > The line is possibly caused by a kink in one of the cables going to
    > the screen... Ben Myers

    Yes and since the hinges are broken, that cable probably gets pulled on
    a lot too.

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2009
  6. Bull. In most cases, it's 2 screws or 4 screws, remove the bezel, and
    then remove the LCD panel from the lid with another 4 screws. It is
    usually no big deal; less of a deal than removing the lid from the base,
    although in this instance the guy has bad hinges as well.

    And this defect is in the panel itself. It is not a cable, at least not
    one that you can do anything about. Normally it's one of the bonded
    connections between the actual LCD glass and the driver board.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 23, 2009
  7. Justin

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hgtjc1$fuj$-september.org,
    Barry Watzman typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:17:47 -0500:
    > Bull. In most cases, it's 2 screws or 4 screws, remove the bezel, and
    > then remove the LCD panel from the lid with another 4 screws. It is
    > usually no big deal; less of a deal than removing the lid from the
    > base, although in this instance the guy has bad hinges as well.

    I agree, but it is a bit more screws than that. The Gateway MX6000
    series for example, has 6 bezel screws, two bottom ones are longer
    screws. Although I think the LCD does have 4 screws, but I believe part
    of the hinge needs some of the screws removed too.

    Removing the whole top lid is a just a few less screws. First open the
    bottom trap door for the WiFi and remove the two antenna connectors and
    push them through the hole. Then remove the two for the top keyboard
    panel (found on the backside of the hinge) and it then just pops off.
    Now lift the keyboard and unplug the video cable and make sure the
    antenna wires are free. Now you have four screws (two on each hinge) to
    remove and you are good to go.

    One big warning: Try to *not* flex the hinge while the top keyboard
    cover is removed. As it also adds support for the hinges and especially
    the left hinge base. As if you try to move the top lid, this can easily
    snap off the hinge mount from the bottom base. As now you need to
    replace the whole bottom shell which cost a lot of money ($50 to $120
    used) for a piece of plastic. Or buy that hinge repair from that guy on
    eBay for about $46.

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2009
  8. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 12/23/2009 10:35 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:hgsdem$g46$-september.org,
    > Justin typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:30:43 -0500:
    >> Hi folks, I have an old Gateway M320 with a line through the screen.
    >> Here are a picture of the line - obviously I need to replace the
    >> screen. http://www.imagebam.com/image/ad322960885145
    >> I know its not the video drivers since the line is there before the OS
    >> loads.
    >>
    >> My first question is, what part number do I need to replace the
    >> screen? I searched eBay for M320 LCD and I get some results with and
    >> without the external plastic trim.

    > Hi Justin! Well that could be the LCD, video cable, or video card on the
    > motherboard. Does it look okay on an external monitor? If so, it there
    > is a good chance that another LCD will take care of it. But no
    > guarantees.

    Yes, it looks fine on an external monitor.
    Should I replace the cable first? Can I check just the cable? I should
    probably download a service manual.

    >> Then there is the broken plastic on the rear of the hinges - thanks to
    >> somebody picking up the machine by the screen. Several times here are
    >> the pictures of each hinge.
    >> What do I need to replace that?
    >> http://www.imagebam.com/image/bd140260885151
    >> and
    >> http://www.imagebam.com/image/3c46c160885152
    >>
    >> Should I get the entire LCD screen plus the plastic trim to fix the
    >> line and broken hinge? Kill two birds with one bullet?

    > Yes most definitely. I've never seen the Gateway hinges break there. You
    > lucked out. As usually they break off from the bottom clamshell. And it
    > is usually only the left one. And the old fix was to replace the whole
    > bottom case. And used prices were outrages. Although the prices has
    > dropped a lot since one bright guy has manufactured an aluminum block
    > that screws into the video port socket. Like this one, eBay #
    > 320466252183.

    They didn't break. They were broken. I have a Macbook Pro now and the
    person who broke the damn thing by picking it up by the screen isn't
    allowed near my machines anymore.
    Problem solved.

    > Speaking about lifting up a machine by the screen, which is usually a
    > bad thing to do. But I noticed these Asus EeePC 700 series netbooks,
    > this practice is just fine. As the lid and the hinges can support the
    > weight many times over the weight of the netbook itself.

    Those Netbooks are lightweight enough that its probably OK to do that.
    My plan is to get it into somewhat decent shape and eBay it - or use it
    as a Linux machine. I wouldn't mind having a POS laptop that I can take
    somewhere and not care about.
    The hard drive went bac on this thing two years ago, and I'm int he
    process of getting another one. I also repalced the keyboard for a
    whole $7.00.

    So in summary, I should look for a cheap LCD assembly off eBay. The
    cheapest one I found was $86 off eBay. I tried to make an offer but he
    declined. $86 is more than half the value of the entire machine.
    I'll wait a bit and keep looking, maybe somethign will turn up after
    Christmas.

    Justin, Dec 23, 2009
  9. Justin

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hgtqiv$6jn$-september.org,
    Justin typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:20:58 -0500:
    > On 12/23/2009 10:35 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:hgsdem$g46$-september.org,
    >> Justin typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:30:43 -0500:
    >>> Hi folks, I have an old Gateway M320 with a line through the screen.
    >>> Here are a picture of the line - obviously I need to replace the
    >>> screen. http://www.imagebam.com/image/ad322960885145
    >>> I know its not the video drivers since the line is there before the
    >>> OS loads.
    >>>
    >>> My first question is, what part number do I need to replace the
    >>> screen? I searched eBay for M320 LCD and I get some results with
    >>> and without the external plastic trim.

    >> Hi Justin! Well that could be the LCD, video cable, or video card on
    >> the motherboard. Does it look okay on an external monitor? If so, it
    >> there is a good chance that another LCD will take care of it. But no
    >> guarantees.

    > Yes, it looks fine on an external monitor.
    > Should I replace the cable first? Can I check just the cable? I
    > should probably download a service manual.

    I believe the cable is part of the LCD anyway on that one. And I don't
    think the Gateway service manuals are available online anymore. Oh wait,
    some are still there. And the ones that are not, I believe you can
    request them through email. And yes, that would be a good idea.

    >>> Then there is the broken plastic on the rear of the hinges - thanks
    >>> to somebody picking up the machine by the screen. Several times
    >>> here are the pictures of each hinge.
    >>> What do I need to replace that?
    >>> http://www.imagebam.com/image/bd140260885151
    >>> and
    >>> http://www.imagebam.com/image/3c46c160885152
    >>>
    >>> Should I get the entire LCD screen plus the plastic trim to fix the
    >>> line and broken hinge? Kill two birds with one bullet?

    >> Yes most definitely. I've never seen the Gateway hinges break there.
    >> You lucked out. As usually they break off from the bottom clamshell.
    >> And it is usually only the left one. And the old fix was to replace
    >> the whole bottom case. And used prices were outrages. Although the
    >> prices has dropped a lot since one bright guy has manufactured an
    >> aluminum block that screws into the video port socket. Like this
    >> one, eBay # 320466252183.

    > They didn't break. They were broken. I have a Macbook Pro now and
    > the person who broke the damn thing by picking it up by the screen
    > isn't allowed near my machines anymore.
    > Problem solved.

    Lol That was a smart idea. ;-)

    >> Speaking about lifting up a machine by the screen, which is usually a
    >> bad thing to do. But I noticed these Asus EeePC 700 series netbooks,
    >> this practice is just fine. As the lid and the hinges can support the
    >> weight many times over the weight of the netbook itself.

    > Those Netbooks are lightweight enough that its probably OK to do that.

    I don't know about the other ones with larger screens than the 7 inch
    displays. But those 7 inch are much smaller than the lid and have the
    speakers on both sides of the screen. And 7 inch LCDs are so much
    lighter too.

    > My plan is to get it into somewhat decent shape and eBay it

    Careful! Whatever you spend on it in parts, you may not get back in
    reselling it. I noticed just in the last year, used laptop prices have
    really dropped. Although the parts, no so much. I guess all of those
    newer laptops prices are getting cheaper and cheaper is causing this.

    > - or use it as a Linux machine. I wouldn't mind having a POS laptop
    > that I can take somewhere and not care about.

    That would be a good idea too. ;-)

    > The hard drive went bac on this thing two years ago, and I'm int he
    > process of getting another one. I also repalced the keyboard for a
    > whole $7.00.

    That is a great price for a keyboard. And if you don't move laptops and
    use them like a desktop. The hard drives seems to last forever. Although
    using them as portable devices, their life really varies. One of the
    pluses when installing a SSD drive as the moving around doesn't effect
    them.

    > So in summary, I should look for a cheap LCD assembly off eBay. The
    > cheapest one I found was $86 off eBay. I tried to make an offer but
    > he declined. $86 is more than half the value of the entire machine.
    > I'll wait a bit and keep looking, maybe somethign will turn up after
    > Christmas.

    Well if you are patient long enough, you might find one around 50 bucks.
    But that doesn't happen too often.

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2009
  10. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:hgtcp7$kev$-september.org,
    > Ben Myers typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:25:27 -0500:
    >> the wharf rat wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Laptops almost always decompose into a top unit consisting of the
    >>> lcd screen and related components and the bottom unit consisting of
    >>> everything else :) You can usually buy one or the other on the
    >>> used market. Replacing the entire unit at once is much easier than
    >>> taking either one apart and replacing a sub-assembly, so try to buy
    >>> an entire top lid, plastic, LCD, and all.

    >> Agreed. Taking apart a laptop LCD screen is a tedious and
    >> time-consuming effort. And then there is getting it back together.

    > I guess it is all relative. If you are replacing LCDs all of the time,
    > it seems pretty easy. Although I guess your mind is running in that auto
    > pilot mode and you don't notice it being so tedious anymore. <grin>
    >
    >> The line is possibly caused by a kink in one of the cables going to
    >> the screen... Ben Myers

    > Yes and since the hinges are broken, that cable probably gets pulled on
    > a lot too.

    No! I am right on the money. Disassembly of most any laptop screen is
    tedious because one has to remove teeny-tiny screws, pop out (and
    eventually replace) screw covers, remove the front bezel (often made of
    thin fragile plastic), gently remove the screen from the housing,
    disconnect and connect cables and inverter. If you can do this all in
    10 minutes or less with ANY brand of laptop, you're awfully good.

    Each and every brand has its own idiosyncracies of LCD disassembly.
    Unless you are doing the same or similar models day after day, no way
    can you do it in auto pilot mode, so quit being a royal cantankerous
    pain in the ass.

    Given the choice, which is infrequent, I would far rather drop in a
    complete LCD screen than tear down the assembly... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 23, 2009
  11. Justin

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hgu0ug$b0t$-september.org,
    Ben Myers typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:09:33 -0500:
    > BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:hgtcp7$kev$-september.org,
    >> Ben Myers typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:25:27 -0500:

    >>> Agreed. Taking apart a laptop LCD screen is a tedious and
    >>> time-consuming effort. And then there is getting it back together.

    >> I guess it is all relative. If you are replacing LCDs all of the
    >> time, it seems pretty easy. Although I guess your mind is running in
    >> that auto pilot mode and you don't notice it being so tedious
    >> anymore. <grin>
    >>> The line is possibly caused by a kink in one of the cables going to
    >>> the screen... Ben Myers

    >> Yes and since the hinges are broken, that cable probably gets pulled
    >> on a lot too.

    > No! I am right on the money. Disassembly of most any laptop screen
    > is tedious because one has to remove teeny-tiny screws,

    You think those screws are teeny, you should see the screws for my Ultra
    USB 2.5 portable hard drive. As it makes the screws in your glasses you
    wear look huge. <grin>

    > pop out (and eventually replace) screw covers,

    Speaking of which, I need to find a replacement for these. As once
    removed, they have a habit of not staying back there for the long haul.
    As within a few weeks or months, they start to fall back out again.

    > remove the front bezel (often made of thin fragile plastic), gently
    > remove the screen from the housing, disconnect and connect cables and
    > inverter. If you can do this all in 10 minutes or less with ANY brand
    > of laptop, you're awfully good.

    10 minutes sounds about right for both removal and have the new one
    installed. Although I have never timed it. I can if you would like the
    next one I do.

    > Each and every brand has its own idiosyncracies of LCD disassembly.
    > Unless you are doing the same or similar models day after day, no way
    > can you do it in auto pilot mode, so quit being a royal cantankerous
    > pain in the ass.

    We are talking about the Gateway MX models. There must be hundreds of
    different MX models out there. And if you know how one of them comes
    apart, you know how to take virtually all of them apart.

    > Given the choice, which is infrequent, I would far rather drop in a
    > complete LCD screen than tear down the assembly... Ben Myers

    It is almost the same either way to me. Why which brands seems harder
    for you?

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2009
  12. Justin

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hgu3i7$lng$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:54:19 -0600:
    > In news:hgu0ug$b0t$-september.org,
    > Ben Myers typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:09:33 -0500:
    >> remove the front bezel (often made of thin fragile plastic)...

    You know, more thinking about this. I think it feels more fragile than
    you think it is. As I keep lots of spare parts and I am not so careful
    as I used to be. And I am really surprised how much bending they can
    really take. The only stuff which is what I would call is fragile would
    be from the mid 90's and earlier.

    Take the old Toshiba T1900 series for example in the mid 90's. As the
    bottom shell needed to be split just to get to the hard drive. And you
    had to be really careful when splitting it, as it would crack very easy
    (it was very brittle). Although plastics today seem so much different.
    As they can flex far much more than the older stuff. And maybe you are
    just being too careful and thus why you are taking longer to
    disassemble?

    I had a couple of DVDs out of hundreds that wouldn't burn correctly. I
    threw them in a junk box and to use them for something (make a clock or
    something). Well later I decided to throw them away and I was going to
    just snap them in half. Well I bent them over 90° and they just wouldn't
    snap in two. But rather they popped right back in shape. I was really
    impressed! I think I threw them back in my junk box. <grin>

    BillW50, Dec 23, 2009
  13. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 12/23/09 3:26 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:hgtqiv$6jn$-september.org,
    > Justin typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:20:58 -0500:
    >> On 12/23/2009 10:35 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    >>> In news:hgsdem$g46$-september.org,
    >>> Justin typed on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:30:43 -0500:

    >>> Hi Justin! Well that could be the LCD, video cable, or video card on
    >>> the motherboard. Does it look okay on an external monitor? If so, it
    >>> there is a good chance that another LCD will take care of it. But no
    >>> guarantees.

    >> Yes, it looks fine on an external monitor.
    >> Should I replace the cable first? Can I check just the cable? I
    >> should probably download a service manual.

    > I believe the cable is part of the LCD anyway on that one. And I don't
    > think the Gateway service manuals are available online anymore. Oh wait,
    > some are still there. And the ones that are not, I believe you can
    > request them through email. And yes, that would be a good idea.

    >>> Yes most definitely. I've never seen the Gateway hinges break there.
    >>> You lucked out. As usually they break off from the bottom clamshell.
    >>> And it is usually only the left one. And the old fix was to replace
    >>> the whole bottom case. And used prices were outrages. Although the
    >>> prices has dropped a lot since one bright guy has manufactured an
    >>> aluminum block that screws into the video port socket. Like this
    >>> one, eBay # 320466252183.

    >> They didn't break. They were broken. I have a Macbook Pro now and
    >> the person who broke the damn thing by picking it up by the screen
    >> isn't allowed near my machines anymore.
    >> Problem solved.

    > Lol That was a smart idea. ;-)
    >
    >>> Speaking about lifting up a machine by the screen, which is usually a
    >>> bad thing to do. But I noticed these Asus EeePC 700 series netbooks,
    >>> this practice is just fine. As the lid and the hinges can support the
    >>> weight many times over the weight of the netbook itself.

    >> Those Netbooks are lightweight enough that its probably OK to do that.

    > I don't know about the other ones with larger screens than the 7 inch
    > displays. But those 7 inch are much smaller than the lid and have the
    > speakers on both sides of the screen. And 7 inch LCDs are so much
    > lighter too.
    >
    >> My plan is to get it into somewhat decent shape and eBay it

    > Careful! Whatever you spend on it in parts, you may not get back in
    > reselling it. I noticed just in the last year, used laptop prices have
    > really dropped. Although the parts, no so much. I guess all of those
    > newer laptops prices are getting cheaper and cheaper is causing this.

    Yeah, I know.
    I need to keep that in check. It might be more worth it just to replace
    the drive and sell it with the broken screen.
    Open it up internationally and let some sap in Pakistan buy it.

    >> - or use it as a Linux machine. I wouldn't mind having a POS laptop
    >> that I can take somewhere and not care about.

    > That would be a good idea too. ;-)
    >
    >> The hard drive went bac on this thing two years ago, and I'm int he
    >> process of getting another one. I also repalced the keyboard for a
    >> whole $7.00.

    > That is a great price for a keyboard. And if you don't move laptops and
    > use them like a desktop. The hard drives seems to last forever. Although
    > using them as portable devices, their life really varies. One of the
    > pluses when installing a SSD drive as the moving around doesn't effect
    > them.

    I got a 120GB hard drive for $30.
    the keyboard was direct from China - it tok a month to get here

    >> So in summary, I should look for a cheap LCD assembly off eBay. The
    >> cheapest one I found was $86 off eBay. I tried to make an offer but
    >> he declined. $86 is more than half the value of the entire machine.
    >> I'll wait a bit and keep looking, maybe somethign will turn up after
    >> Christmas.

    > Well if you are patient long enough, you might find one around 50 bucks.
    > But that doesn't happen too often.

    I waited a month for the keyboard - I'm patient!

    Justin, Dec 26, 2009