gateway solo 9100

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Angelocracy.com, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work
    Angelocracy.com, Apr 5, 2007

  2. Angelocracy.com wrote:
    > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    Then there is something wrong with your CD!

    Robert
    Robert Harris, Apr 5, 2007

  3. On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <>
    wrote:
    > Angelocracy.com wrote:
    > > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    > Then there is something wrong with your CD!
    >
    > Robert

    there is nothing wrong with cd
    Angelocracy.com, Apr 5, 2007
  4. Angelocracy.com

    Noozer Guest

    Angelocracy.com wrote:

    > On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <>
    > wrote:
    >> Angelocracy.com wrote:
    >> > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    >> Then there is something wrong with your CD!
    >>
    >> Robert

    > there is nothing wrong with cd

    Either your CD is no good, or your PC is broken.

    If you set the BIOS to boot from CD, then it will boot from the CD.
    Noozer, Apr 5, 2007
  5. Angelocracy.com

    Matt Giwer Guest

    Angelocracy.com wrote:
    > On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <>
    > wrote:
    >> Angelocracy.com wrote:
    >>> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    >> Then there is something wrong with your CD!

    >> Robert

    > there is nothing wrong with cd

    Did you burn the .iso file or did you simply write it to the disk? It is a
    common mistake.

    --
    Hodie Nonis Aprilibus MMVII est
    -- The Ferric Webceasar
    Matt Giwer, Apr 5, 2007
  6. Angelocracy.com wrote:
    > On Apr 5, 1:13 pm, Robert Harris <>
    > wrote:
    >> Angelocracy.com wrote:
    >>> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    >> Then there is something wrong with your CD!
    >>
    >> Robert

    > there is nothing wrong with cd

    In increasing order of difficulty to check:

    - Is a USB storage device first in the list and/or did you leave an
    unbootable one plugged in?

    - Are you sure you made the correct change and that the CD is *BEFORE*
    the hard disk in the bootable drives list?

    - Has the BIOS RAM got corrupted?

    - Is the battery backing up your BIOS RAM OK?

    - have you checked/reseated all internal cables and cards?

    If you've checked all this and the CD still doesn't boot than you've
    either got a broken IDE controller or a broken CD drive.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Apr 6, 2007
  7. Angelocracy.com

    Guest

    On Apr 5, 11:37 am, "Angelocracy.com" <>
    wrote:
    > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    When you say you set it to boot from cd, you mean you set your bios to
    not just boot from cd, but if it has a "boot order", you added it to
    the top of the list ABOVE the hard drive?
    , Apr 6, 2007
  8. On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:37:57 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, "Angelocracy.com"
    <> wrote:

    > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    How old is this machine? There are 2 (at least) types of boot CD and somes
    BIOSes do not understand or recognise the newer one. Anything made in, say, the
    last 3 or 4 years should be fine with both. Hmm, yes, Google shows this as a
    Pentium 166MMX so it's pretty old. Since you're posting to several linux groups
    I presume this is a Linux CD you are trying to boot so maybe you could try a
    different distribution which might use a different boot mechanism. I think the
    safer one to look for is something called floppy disk emulation mode. Maybe a
    BIOS upgrade might help too?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com
    Trevor Hemsley, Apr 6, 2007
  9. Angelocracy.com

    Tim Clark Guest

    In article <>,
    "Trevor Hemsley" <> writes:
    > On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:37:57 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, "Angelocracy.com"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    > How old is this machine? There are 2 (at least) types of boot CD and somes
    > BIOSes do not understand or recognise the newer one. Anything made in, say, the
    > last 3 or 4 years should be fine with both. Hmm, yes, Google shows this as a
    > Pentium 166MMX so it's pretty old.

    That quite possibly explains why a machine of mine, which is about 7
    years old, wouldn't boot from some CDs, like Knoppix or the Fedora Live
    CD, despite me setting the boot order to: floppy, CD, hard disk. I
    hadn't paid too much attention to why this was, but found that booting
    from a floppy which then offers a choice of booting from CD got round
    the problem nicely. This work-around might suit Angelocracy.com too.

    I happened to use a China-DOS Union DOS boot disk which does this. If
    you don't have a suitable floppy boot disk, a quick google reveals a
    number, such as http://bootcd.narod.ru/index_e.htm

    --
    Tim Clark
    Tim Clark, Apr 6, 2007
  10. Tim Clark wrote:
    > That quite possibly explains why a machine of mine, which is about 7
    > years old, wouldn't boot from some CDs, like Knoppix or the Fedora Live
    > CD, despite me setting the boot order to: floppy, CD, hard disk. I
    > hadn't paid too much attention to why this was, but found that booting
    > from a floppy which then offers a choice of booting from CD got round
    > the problem nicely. This work-around might suit Angelocracy.com too.

    If you have a working Linux configuration its a good idea to make a GRUB
    boot floppy. The result boots into GRUB and presents a booting command
    line which you can use to boot almost any OS from any device that the
    BIOS can access. Note that GRUB itself uses the BIOS to access the
    drives, so if its a drive that your BIOS can't access, than GRUB can't
    either. "info grub" will tell you how to do this.

    The other possibility is to make a Tom's Rootboot floppy. This is a
    minimal Linux system that boots from a single floppy to act as a rescue
    disk. Get it here: http://www.toms.net/rb/

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Apr 7, 2007
  11. Problems booting from CD (was Re: gateway solo 9100)

    In <>,
    Trevor Hemsley <> wrote:

    > How old is this machine? There are 2 (at least) types of boot CD and
    > somes BIOSes do not understand or recognise the newer one. Anything
    > made in, say, the last 3 or 4 years should be fine with both. Hmm,
    > yes, Google shows this as a Pentium 166MMX so it's pretty old. Since
    > you're posting to several linux groups I presume this is a Linux CD
    > you are trying to boot so maybe you could try a different distribution
    > which might use a different boot mechanism. I think the safer one to
    > look for is something called floppy disk emulation mode. Maybe a BIOS
    > upgrade might help too?

    My Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop won't boot System Rescue CD, but it does boot
    Debian, Ubuntu and Knoppix. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to
    SRCD with a more conservative approach to booting? As good as Ubuntu and
    Knoppix are, the GUI is usually just a big waste of time for the sort of
    tasks SRCD is handy for. Mind you, being able to browse the web and all
    that, including support for wifi with WPA, while installing Ubuntu is
    pretty cool.

    --
    TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
    Tony Houghton, Apr 7, 2007
  12. Angelocracy.com

    Mark Hobley Guest

    In comp.os.linux.hardware Tim Clark <> wrote:

    > That quite possibly explains why a machine of mine, which is about 7
    > years old, wouldn't boot from some CDs, like Knoppix or the Fedora Live
    > CD, despite me setting the boot order to: floppy, CD, hard disk. I
    > hadn't paid too much attention to why this was

    I think there is just some weirdness with CDROM drives. Some drives just will
    not boot with Linux disks.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/laboratory/mysteries/cdrom/index.html

    By swapping drives for alternative models, I have been able to boot from the
    CDs using the same computer.

    Update the wiki with drive models that just will not boot from Linux CDs.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/
    Mark Hobley, Apr 7, 2007
  13. On Apr 5, 11:37 am, "Angelocracy.com" <>
    wrote:
    > can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    A little progress. . What was happening was it was set to boot from
    cd. It did go and read the cd frist, then for some unknown reason it
    the went to C drive and started windows. So i just said the hell with
    it. I set the system to show hidden files. I deleted the hidden
    widows system files, knowing this would mess up the system and widows
    would not be able to run.

    The I shut it down, the turn it back on.

    It reads the cd. but then says invaid system disk. I have tried a
    Knoppix CD and a Fedora CD.
    Angelocracy.com, Apr 8, 2007
  14. Angelocracy.com

    Ben Myers Guest

    When you burned the CD, did you simply copy the Knoppix ISO image onto a CD or
    did you use the option to burn the ISO image as a bootable CD? If the former,
    you have a CD as a coaster. Most CD burning packages have the option to burn an
    ISO. I have CDBurnerXPPro, Nero, and Easy Burning on my system. All offer the
    possibility of burning an ISO onto a CD to make it a bootable image... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 8, 2007
  15. On Apr 8, 1:18 pm, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:
    > When you burned the CD, did you simply copy the Knoppix ISO image onto a CD or
    > did you use the option to burn the ISO image as a bootable CD? If the former,
    > you have a CD as a coaster. Most CD burning packages have the option to burn an
    > ISO. I have CDBurnerXPPro, Nero, and Easy Burning on my system. All offer the
    > possibility of burning an ISO onto a CD to make it a bootable image... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 8 Apr 2007 09:47:38 -0700, "Angelocracy.com" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Apr 5, 11:37 am, "Angelocracy.com" <>
    > >wrote:
    > >> can not boot from cd, went to bios change it to cd, still does not work

    > >A little progress. . What was happening was it was set to boot from
    > >cd. It did go and read the cd frist, then for some unknown reason it
    > >the went to C drive and started windows. So i just said the hell with
    > >it. I set the system to show hidden files. I deleted the hidden
    > >widows system files, knowing this would mess up the system and widows
    > >would not be able to run.

    > >The I shut it down, the turn it back on.

    > >It reads the cd. but then says invaid system disk. I have tried a
    > >Knoppix CD and a Fedora CD.

    I did not burn the cd, these are company made cd, I used them on
    other notebooks and they work fine.

    As I said before, there is nothing wrong with the cd.
    Angelocracy.com, Apr 8, 2007
  16. Angelocracy.com

    Noozer Guest

    >> >The I shut it down, the turn it back on.
    >>
    >> >It reads the cd. but then says invaid system disk. I have tried a
    >> >Knoppix CD and a Fedora CD.

    Deleting Windows files won't have any effect on the software on the CD

    > I did not burn the cd, these are company made cd, I used them on
    > other notebooks and they work fine.
    >
    > As I said before, there is nothing wrong with the cd.

    So now you know that the disk is starting. At that point I'd expect a menu
    or message that tells you to hit certain keys to boot from the CD or other
    to boot from the hard drive. Is that not happening?

    What kind of hard drives/controllers are you using? Add in PCI controller
    card? Sata hard drives? What mainboard? What HDD models? Is it possible that
    this PC has hardware that isn't supported on the installation disk?
    Noozer, Apr 8, 2007
  17. On Apr 8, 3:14 pm, "Noozer" <> wrote:

    > Deleting Windows files won't have any effect on the software on the CD
    >
    > > I did not burn the cd, these are company made cd, I used them on
    > > other notebooks and they work fine.

    > > As I said before, there is nothing wrong with the cd.

    > So now you know that the disk is starting. At that point I'd expect a menu
    > or message that tells you to hit certain keys to boot from the CD or other
    > to boot from the hard drive. Is that not happening?
    >
    > What kind of hard drives/controllers are you using? Add in PCI controller
    > card? Sata hard drives? What mainboard? What HDD models? Is it possible that
    > this PC has hardware that isn't supported on the installation disk?

    I did a search for ( linux gateway solo 9100 ) on google. It can
    and has been done. not sure why I am have so much trouble.

    this is a PII with a 10 gig hard drive
    Angelocracy.com, Apr 8, 2007
  18. On Apr 8, 3:14 pm, "Noozer" <> wrote:

    > Deleting Windows files won't have any effect on the software on the CD
    >
    > > I did not burn the cd, these are company made cd, I used them on
    > > other notebooks and they work fine.

    > > As I said before, there is nothing wrong with the cd.

    > So now you know that the disk is starting. At that point I'd expect a menu
    > or message that tells you to hit certain keys to boot from the CD or other
    > to boot from the hard drive. Is that not happening?
    >
    > What kind of hard drives/controllers are you using? Add in PCI controller
    > card? Sata hard drives? What mainboard? What HDD models? Is it possible that
    > this PC has hardware that isn't supported on the installation disk?

    Before I left home. I switch the hard drives. I took the hard drive
    out of the gateway, put it another notebook, loaded linux, when I get
    back home I will then put it back it the gateway, and see what happens
    Angelocracy.com, Apr 9, 2007