Gawd...!!! i hate computers...!!!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 16, 2007.

  1. i thought that it was about time that i posted another one of these...

    So uhhh...
    i've been browsing around for a REALLY CHEAP Digital Video Camera to
    make movies with on my MacBook, and i found this very cute one at
    Waldomart:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5969022#Specifications
    But the specifications say: Specifically--- That it needs a Windoze OS
    to connect to a "PC"...
    Specifically ExCluding any mention of Mac or Linux OS's...

    Does this mean the Obvious; that it will not work with a Mac,
    Or has become the Convention, Just to neglect mentioning Mac
    OS's...???

    It seems to me that these formats would have become completely
    standardized and all OS's would receive and process this Data...
    Or, are there still 4 Dozen different Formats, each requiring their
    own OS and Interpreter...???

    eh?

    Thanx...!!!

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 16, 2007

  2. In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > Does this mean the Obvious; that it will not work with a Mac, Or has
    > become the Convention, Just to neglect mentioning Mac OS's...???

    Looking at the product specifications sheet at the manufacturer's web
    site, I see that it has only a USB 2.0 interface. iMovie requires a
    Firewire interface.

    Also, the resolution is only 640 by 480. It has a fixed-focus, non-zoom
    lens. And the built-in flash (for still photography) has an effective
    range of less than three feet.

    If you're going to get a digital movie camera, buy a decent one instead
    of something like this.

    Your hatred is misdirected; it shouldn't be against computers, but
    against cheap peripherals.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 16, 2007

  3. On Dec 16, 9:01 am, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does this mean the Obvious; that it will not work with a Mac, Or has
    > > become the Convention, Just to neglect mentioning Mac OS's...???

    > Looking at the product specifications sheet at the manufacturer's web
    > site, I see that it has only a USB 2.0 interface. iMovie requires a
    > Firewire interface.
    >
    > Also, the resolution is only 640 by 480. It has a fixed-focus, non-zoom
    > lens. And the built-in flash (for still photography) has an effective
    > range of less than three feet.
    >
    > If you're going to get a digital movie camera, buy a decent one instead
    > of something like this.
    >
    > Your hatred is misdirected; it shouldn't be against computers, but
    > against cheap peripherals.
    >
    > --
    > Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Is this Firewire thinger fairly new...???
    Because i just tried loading a 'clip' that i took with cheapy Samsung
    Digital Camera that records Video Only Snippets, and it loaded into
    iMovie OK...???
    This Camera is about 4 years old, but it was designed to work with
    Mac's when i bought it then... ( hmmmmm... )

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 16, 2007
  4. In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > Is this Firewire thinger fairly new...???

    Firewire is more than ten years old.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 16, 2007
  5. On Dec 16, 9:48 am, J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:30:30 -0500, The Translucent Amoebae wrote
    > (in article
    > <>):
    >

    > > On Dec 16, 9:01 am, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > >> In article
    > >> <>,

    > >> Looking at the product specifications sheet at the manufacturer's web
    > >> site, I see that it has only a USB 2.0 interface. iMovie requires a
    > >> Firewire interface.

    > >> Also, the resolution is only 640 by 480. It has a fixed-focus, non-zoom
    > >> lens. And the built-in flash (for still photography) has an effective
    > >> range of less than three feet.

    > >> If you're going to get a digital movie camera, buy a decent one instead
    > >> of something like this.

    > >> Your hatred is misdirected; it shouldn't be against computers, but
    > >> against cheap peripherals.

    > >> --
    > >> Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    > > Is this Firewire thinger fairly new...???

    > IEEE-1394, a.k.a FireWire 400, was standardized in 1995. It was renamed
    > IEEE-1394a when FireWire 800, IEEE-1394b, was standardized in 2002.
    > IEEE-1394c was proposed for standardization in 2006 and has been recently
    > announced as FireWire 3200.
    >
    > No, FireWire is not new.
    >
    > > Because i just tried loading a 'clip' that i took with cheapy Samsung
    > > Digital Camera that records Video Only Snippets, and it loaded into
    > > iMovie OK...???

    > If I decipher your mush correctly, you copied the clip to the Mac. iMovie
    > will work correctly then.
    >
    > > This Camera is about 4 years old, but it was designed to work with
    > > Mac's when i bought it then... ( hmmmmm... )

    > That makes the camera newer than FireWire.
    >
    > You might want to look at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire>.
    >
    > You might also want to learn to write legible posts. If you go out of your
    > way to make your posts hard to read, very few people will read them.
    >
    > --
    > email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

    OK... You are no longer allowed to read and respond to my posts...!
    If you're not going to specifically say what it is that you find
    confusing, then you are only making me more crazy...!

    So then:
    i have two USB 2.0 Ports on my MacBook,
    Is there an additional format problem that is likely to be encountered
    by using the DXG 5.1 MP ( Pink or Blue ) Digital Camera...???

    This Firewire thinger seems confusing
    ( i read the Wikipedia Article )
    in that is Firewire ONLY a Plug Shape,
    or is it a Format ( too ) that the Computer has to understand as
    well...???

    ( please do not respond to this post if you're going to be a negative
    ned or nelly -- thanx. )

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 16, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:

    > > Because i just tried loading a 'clip' that i took with cheapy
    > > Samsung Digital Camera that records Video Only Snippets, and it
    > > loaded into iMovie OK...???

    > If I decipher your mush correctly, you copied the clip to the Mac.
    > iMovie will work correctly then.

    If it were a digital camera as he says, and he got video snippets, then
    they were QuickTime snippets. Many digital cameras can do that.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 16, 2007
  7. In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > i have two USB 2.0 Ports on my MacBook,

    And at least one Firewire port.

    > Is there an additional format problem that is likely to be
    > encountered by using the DXG 5.1 MP ( Pink or Blue ) Digital
    > Camera...???

    It is not a format problem; it is a connectivity problem. iMovie works
    only with Firewire connectivity, and does not work with USB connectivity.

    > in that is Firewire ONLY a Plug Shape, or is it a Format ( too ) that
    > the Computer has to understand as well...???

    Neither; it is a connectivity protocol, just as are USB, serial,
    parallel, SCSI, etc.

    The problem is not that you hate computers; it's that you hate research.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 16, 2007
  8. The Translucent Amoebae

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > ( i read the Wikipedia Article )
    > in that is Firewire ONLY a Plug Shape,
    > or is it a Format ( too ) that the Computer has to understand as
    > well...???
    >
    > ( please do not respond to this post if you're going to be a negative
    > ned or nelly -- thanx. )

    Okie diddlie dokie.

    Firewire is a protocol, like SCSI or USB or the Elders of Zion.
    --
    W. Oates

    Warren Oates, Dec 16, 2007
  9. In article <47657c79$0$31927$>,
    Warren Oates <> wrote:

    > Firewire is a protocol, like SCSI or USB or the Elders of Zion.

    However, unlike the Elders of Zion, the others are real.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 16, 2007
  10. The Translucent Amoebae

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > i have two USB 2.0 Ports on my MacBook,
    > Is there an additional format problem that is likely to be encountered
    > by using the DXG 5.1 MP ( Pink or Blue ) Digital Camera...???

    The camera listed by Wal-Mart is not a standard video camera, as
    expected by a Macintosh dealing with movie cameras. This is shown by the
    fact that that the camera does not have an IEEE1394 interface, and by
    the fact that it does not use a DV tape to record the video. It seems
    more like the video you get from a regular digital still camera. The
    video in the camera has been compressed.

    Therefore, most Macintosh will not easily (plug and play) use anything
    it outputs. If you have a sufficiently recent Macintosh that you can run
    iMovie 08, then perhaps the Wal-Mart camera will be recognised and used.
    Or, the camera may be recognised as a USB bulk storage device, and
    iPhoto may accept the video. Personally I wouldn't touch these cheap
    cameras.

    > This Firewire thinger seems confusing

    Firewire is (amongst other things) designed to deal with streams of
    video. USB is not. Firewire is a peer to peer protocol (that is, a
    Firewire camera can connect to a TV or video recorder that has Firewire,
    and play or transfer its video. USB is a master slave protocol. You
    normally must have a computer as a master controller.

    USB is cheaper and often sufficiently fast to deal with video. PCs tend
    not to have Firewire, so people making cameras have more trouble selling
    cameras that use Firewire. So they make USB only cameras (they added the
    USB and memory cards originally so computers would easily accept single
    photos from video cameras). Generally these cameras compress the video
    so that the result is horrible.

    if you want crap video, just use the video option built into every
    digital still camera, instead of wasting money on a second camera.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

    Eric Lindsay, Dec 16, 2007
  11. On Dec 16, 10:13 am, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    >
    > > i have two USB 2.0 Ports on my MacBook,

    > And at least one Firewire port.
    >
    > > Is there an additional format problem that is likely to be
    > > encountered by using the DXG 5.1 MP ( Pink or Blue ) Digital
    > > Camera...???

    > It is not a format problem; it is a connectivity problem. iMovie works
    > only with Firewire connectivity, and does not work with USB connectivity.

    But it DOES Work...???
    i have a Samsung Digital Camera that takes Video Snippet without
    Sound, and i was able to upload one of these snippets with USB
    connection plugs... and then i successfully loaded and played it on
    iMovie...

    ???

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 17, 2007
  12. In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > i have a Samsung Digital Camera that takes Video Snippet without
    > Sound, and i was able to upload one of these snippets with USB
    > connection plugs... and then i successfully loaded and played it on
    > iMovie...

    That's because your camera created a quicktime movie, and didn't connect
    directly to iTunes. It is a completely different situation.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 17, 2007
  13. On Dec 16, 9:54 pm, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    >
    > > i have a Samsung Digital Camera th...era created a quicktime movie, and didn't connect

    > directly to iTunes. It is a completely different situation.
    >
    > --
    > Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Unless i'm mistaken, i think that iPhoto automatically connects to the
    Camera, which then pretty much automatically downloads it, and then,
    from iPhoto, i load it into iMovie...

    Why would the Pink Video Camera be any different...???

    This is one of the reasons why i hate computers; The new OS has tons
    of Fluff and Dazzle, but when it comes to simple, Standardized
    Functionality, it falls flat on its face.

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 17, 2007
  14. On Dec 17, 5:18 am, (Mike Rosenberg)
    wrote:
    > The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    >
    > > But it DOES Work...???
    > > i have a Samsung Digital Camera that takes Video Snippet without
    > > Sound, and i was able to upload one of these snippets with USB
    > > connection plugs... and then i successfully loaded and played it on
    > > iMovie...

    > You had to first copy the snippets to your hard drive, then import them
    > into iMovie, which converted them to a playable format at that time.
    > With a FireWire camcorder, digital video imports directly from the
    > camcorder to iMovie in real time.

    So Fawking WHAT...!!! If i have to take a few extra steps...!!!
    The Real Question is: Will it work?
    Can i buy this extremely CHEAP-ASS Video Camera to make some very
    unprofessional Home Porn, and Edit it with iMovie & iDVD...???

    Thanx!

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 17, 2007
  15. On Dec 17, 5:21 am, Gregory Weston <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > > > Does this mean the Obvious; that it will not work with a Mac, Or has
    > > > become the Convention, Just to neglect mentioning Mac OS's...???

    > > Looking at the product specifications sheet at the manufacturer's web
    > > site, I see that it has only a USB 2.0 interface. iMovie requires a
    > > Firewire interface.

    > Past tense. The latest product to bear the iMovie name will import
    > directly from certain USB devices.
    >
    > From the Importing topic of iMovie Help:
    >
    > "You can import video from USB camcorders that record to DVD or hard
    > disk drive (HDD) storage media, or from flash-based devices, such as
    > digital still cameras that record video."

    i'm pretty sure that that's the answer i'm looking for...!!!
    BUT-- Just to reiterate this a little,
    Just to drag this horse through it's own excrement for a few more
    posts...

    The Ad Specifications Specifically Do Not Mention that it's Compatible
    with a Mac OS... Is this Irrelevant...???

    Thanx!

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 17, 2007
  16. In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > Unless i'm mistaken, i think that iPhoto automatically connects to
    > the Camera, which then pretty much automatically downloads it, and
    > then, from iPhoto, i load it into iMovie...

    That depends on how you set your preferences.

    > Why would the Pink Video Camera be any different...???

    Because it is a video camera, not a still camera. It does not create
    iMovie formatted video.

    Buy what you want, but don't come crying to us when it doesn't work.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 18, 2007
  17. The Translucent Amoebae

    David Empson Guest

    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > On Dec 16, 9:54 pm, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > i have a Samsung Digital Camera th...era created a quicktime movie,
    > > > and didn't connect directly to iTunes. It is a completely different
    > > > situation.

    > Unless i'm mistaken, i think that iPhoto automatically connects to the
    > Camera, which then pretty much automatically downloads it, and then,
    > from iPhoto, i load it into iMovie...

    That's because digital photo cameras are very standardised, with one
    common file format (JPEG, plus camera-specific advanced formats which
    may require special software), and one connectivity method (USB).

    There are two standards for how they behave via USB (mass storage device
    which has an icon that appears on the desktop, or image capture device
    which doesn't have an icon and doesn't need to be ejected) but the Mac
    supports both.

    Some digital photo cameras use proprietary standards, and only work with
    Windows, but they are thankfully rare.

    > Why would the Pink Video Camera be any different...???

    Consumer digital video cameras have one predominant standard, which is
    DV and a Firewire connection. (More advanced and newer cameras use other
    video formats such as HDV, and there are a lot more options in
    professional cameras.)

    Using a digital photo camera (which only has a USB connection) to take
    video is NOT standardised. There are a variety of different file formats
    used by different camera manufacturers, and this can result in
    compatibility problems or requiring the correct plugins to be able to
    deal with video from a particular camera.

    Webcams are moving towards being standardised. There is a recently
    established standard for video over USB, which is supported by recent
    versions of Mac OS X and iChat, but not very many webcams are using it
    yet. Most have proprietary protocols and require special software and/or
    drivers, which usually don't exist for the Mac, but there may be third
    party software to solve this compatibility problem in many cases.

    Some cheap video camera manufacturers decided to save money by not
    following the video camera standard: they used USB instead of Firewire
    and are not using DV as the video format. This puts them into the same
    camp as taking videos using a camera which is primarily designed for
    taking photos, or using a webcam as a video camera.

    Judging from the information in this thread, te Pink camera is
    implemented like a webcam or still photo camera which takes video. It is
    a cheap and nasty video camera, which doesn't follow the standards of a
    digital video camera, and probably doesn't follow the relatively new
    webcam standards either (as it isn't designed to be a used as a webcam).

    Unless someone has actually used one of these cameras with a Mac, nobody
    will be able to tell you whether it will work. It might be using a
    proprietary USB protocol rather than a standard one (in which case they
    would need to supply a driver to use it on a Mac, and they aren't doing
    that), and it might be using a video file format which the Mac doesn't
    support (unlikely).

    The fact that it doesn't mention Mac support _might_ just mean that they
    haven't tested it on a Mac (and therefore don't guarantee it will work).
    If the Pink really does follow some existing standards (such as behaving
    like a photo camera which takes video, and produces QuickTime or
    something else which iMovie can import, perhaps via a third-party
    QuickTime plugin like Perian or Flip4Mac) then it will work on a Mac.

    There is a chance it will work, but the only way you will be able to
    find out is to buy it and try it. Does the supplier have a money-back
    guarantee if it doesn't work?

    > This is one of the reasons why i hate computers; The new OS has tons
    > of Fluff and Dazzle, but when it comes to simple, Standardized
    > Functionality, it falls flat on its face.

    You can't blame the OS. It is the camera manufacturer's fault for not
    following established standards, or if it does, then for not indicating
    that it will work on a Mac.

    Mac OS X supports a huge number of peripherals without requiring any
    special drivers - as long as the peripherals use established standards.
    If the perhipheral manufacturer invents their own way of transferring
    data to the computer, or their own file formats, then they have to
    supply a driver, and this often means the device will only work on
    Windows because the manufacturer only thinks it is worth writing drivers
    to support the most common computer platform.

    Major manufacturers of peripherals like printers usually supply a Mac
    driver alongside their Windows driver, except for some low-end models
    for which they may only supply Windows drivers.

    Manufacturers of low-end products are less likely to be supportive of
    platforms other than Windows.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Dec 18, 2007
  18. In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > The Ad Specifications Specifically Do Not Mention that it's
    > Compatible with a Mac OS... Is this Irrelevant...???

    Why The **** Don't You Write To The Manufacturer...???
    How The Hell Would We Know...?

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 18, 2007
  19. In article
    <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > The Real Question is: Will it work?
    > Can i buy this extremely CHEAP-ASS Video Camera to make some very
    > unprofessional Home Porn, and Edit it with iMovie & iDVD...???

    HOW THE **** SHOULD WE KNOW??? WE DON'T OWN THAT POS!!! ASK THE
    MANUFACTURER FOR GODDESS' SAKE!

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 18, 2007
  20. On Dec 17, 4:35 pm, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    >
    > > Unless i'm mistaken, i think that iPhoto automatically connects to
    > > the Camera, which then pretty much automatically downloads it, and
    > > then, from iPhoto, i load it into iMovie...

    > That depends on how you set your preferences.
    >
    > > Why would the Pink Video Camera be any different...???

    > Because it is a video camera, not a still camera. It does not create
    > iMovie formatted video.
    >
    > Buy what you want, but don't come crying to us when it doesn't work.

    As someone with asperger's, i'm incapable of crying; Instead, we fret,
    usually accompanied with flapping arms and eye fluttering.

    But aside from that... It seems crazy to me that my 5 year old Samsung
    Camera would create iMovie Formatted Video...
    What i think is happening is that there is an UNSpoken, Tacitly
    Recognized Standardized format, that works across multiple platforms,
    but that the advertising industry has specifically designed it's ads
    to sell MicroS- Computers...???

    The Translucent Amoebae, Dec 18, 2007