    wonky (Safari and Firefox, both just upgraded; FF is the worst), and
    Word (2004; runs under Rosetta on the new system, i.e., 10.6.8)

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Robin Henderson, May 4, 2012

  2. Robin Henderson

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Robin Henderson <> wrote:

    > Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
    > (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:
    >
    > Relaunching Finder
    > Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
    > Running DiskWarrior
    > Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.

    Disk Utility indicates no repair needed?

    Did you use the Maintenance section/Rebuild or Automation section to
    rebuild LaunchServices in Onyx? Have you got the latest Oynx?

    > This seems to have been an ongoing battle with Snow Leopard. Many
    > complaints online, but no solutions offered. Has this issue been
    > resolved?

    Never had a problem with this ever on Snow Leopard.

    > Also, the whole system is slow and balky; about OS 7-level performance
    > all around,

    How is you RAM? In fact what machine are you using?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 4, 2012

  3. Robin Henderson

    Király Guest

    Robin Henderson <> wrote:
    > Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
    > (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:
    >
    > Relaunching Finder
    > Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
    > Running DiskWarrior
    > Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.

    Does the problem occur if you are logged in to a different user account?

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    Király, May 5, 2012
  4. On May 4, 3:51 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >  Robin Henderson <> wrote:
    >
    > > Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
    > > (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:

    > > Relaunching Finder
    > > Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
    > > Running DiskWarrior
    > > Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.

    > Disk Utility indicates no repair needed?
    >
    > Did you use the Maintenance section/Rebuild or Automation section to
    > rebuild LaunchServices in Onyx? Have you got the latest Oynx?
    >
    > > This seems to have been an ongoing battle with Snow Leopard. Many
    > > complaints online, but no solutions offered. Has this issue been
    > > resolved?

    > Never had a problem with this ever on Snow Leopard.
    >
    > > Also, the whole system is slow and balky; about OS 7-level performance
    > > all around,

    > How is you RAM? In fact what machine are you using?
    >
    > > with lots of interminable hangs, the dastardly beach ball
    > > of death, only resolved by total reboot of the system (restarting
    > > computer)... until it starts happening again. Browsers are especially
    > > wonky (Safari and Firefox, both just upgraded; FF is the worst), and
    > > Word (2004; runs under Rosetta on the new system, i.e., 10.6.8)

    > > Any suggestions appreciated.

    > --
    > dorayme

    Thanks for both replies. To answer your questions:

    My Mac is as follows:

    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

    There are no other accounts but mine on the system.

    None of my maintenance applications indicate any repairs needed.

    Running OnyX 2.3.6; have rebuilt LaunchServices and Display of
    Folders' content (.DS_store files); run permissions repair. (Also with
    DW.)

    Both the lost icon and cranky system problems ongoing. Any thoughts?

    Robin Henderson, May 8, 2012
  5. Robin Henderson

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Robin Henderson <> wrote:

    > On May 4, 3:51 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >  Robin Henderson <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Just upgraded from Tiger. Many applications' icons have gone generic.
    > > > (TextWrangler, Elmedia, others.) Have tried:

    > > > Relaunching Finder
    > > > Clicking "Show preview" in View menu on and off.
    > > > Running DiskWarrior
    > > > Zapping the system .DS_store_ files with OnyX.

    > > Disk Utility indicates no repair needed?
    > >
    > > Did you use the Maintenance section/Rebuild or Automation section to
    > > rebuild LaunchServices in Onyx? Have you got the latest Oynx?
    > >
    > > > This seems to have been an ongoing battle with Snow Leopard. Many
    > > > complaints online, but no solutions offered. Has this issue been
    > > > resolved?

    > > Never had a problem with this ever on Snow Leopard.
    > >
    > > > Also, the whole system is slow and balky; about OS 7-level performance
    > > > all around,

    > > How is you RAM? In fact what machine are you using?
    > >
    > > > with lots of interminable hangs, the dastardly beach ball
    > > > of death, only resolved by total reboot of the system (restarting
    > > > computer)... until it starts happening again. Browsers are especially
    > > > wonky (Safari and Firefox, both just upgraded; FF is the worst), and
    > > > Word (2004; runs under Rosetta on the new system, i.e., 10.6.8)

    > > > Any suggestions appreciated.

    > Thanks for both replies. To answer your questions:
    >
    > My Mac is as follows:
    >
    > Model Name: MacBook
    > Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    > Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    > Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    > Number Of Processors: 1
    > Total Number Of Cores: 2
    > L2 Cache: 4 MB
    > Memory: 1 GB
    > Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    >
    > There are no other accounts but mine on the system.
    >
    > None of my maintenance applications indicate any repairs needed.
    >
    > Running OnyX 2.3.6; have rebuilt LaunchServices and Display of
    > Folders' content (.DS_store files); run permissions repair. (Also with
    > DW.)
    >
    > Both the lost icon and cranky system problems ongoing. Any thoughts?

    Some other thoughts:

    * Create a new user account, just for testing stuff, restart and log
    into the new account and see if the same bad stuff is happening.
    Slowness, wonky browsers.

    * Try to distinguish between what might be due to slow online
    connection and what not. Be off line to test browsers (need tips on
    how to do this?)

    * Have you actually connected your icons with apps, at least do this
    to a few test ones to watch them. Get Info panel and "always open
    with" and choose etc.

    * How much spare space have you got on your HD? You need a surprising
    amount so the machine has a "working column" to fumble about in
    (remember school maths exercise books)?

    * Don't start any Microsoftware like Word for a few tests.

    * You have applied the latest software update, under the apple menu?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 11, 2012