Getting Low Fan Speed From Matrox Parhelia 256 AGP

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by justin david, Mar 3, 2007.

  1. justin david

    justin david Guest

    Does this mean the fan is dying, or could there be a problem with the
    board itself?

    1. Advertising

  2. "justin david" <> wrote in message...
    > Does this mean the fan is dying, or could there be a problem
    > with the board itself?

    Far more likely to be the fan than the board. Could simply mean that the fan
    either needs a clean or a drop of oil in its bearings.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  3. justin david

    justin david Guest

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:12:02 -0000, "Richard Hopkins"
    <> wrote:

    >"justin david" <> wrote in message...
    >> Does this mean the fan is dying, or could there be a problem
    >> with the board itself?

    >Far more likely to be the fan than the board. Could simply mean that the fan
    >either needs a clean or a drop of oil in its bearings.

    Thanks for the reply. I removed the fan and gave it a thorough
    cleaning and a shot of silicone- I hope that will be the end of it. If
    needed, do you think Matrox would sell me a fan for the Parhelia? I
    don't need the square metal heatsink since the fan removes from it via
    three screws. One of my more esoteric friends has informed me that
    electronic and mechanical things tend to frazzle while Mercury is
    retrograde...

  4. joeg

    joeg

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    FanAlert - from Matrox Parhelia AGP 256

    Hi from Berlin,

    Last week, I started to get a popup warning that identified itself only as "FanAlert v1.00.017 - No driver installed [01:00]". (See attached image "fan_alert03.jpg)

    I had no idea what was going on and let the progress bar run; it actually put my computer into sleep mode!

    Coincidentally(?), my CPU heatsink fan had started to make noise the previous day (a problem I'd had before), so I thought that was the actual issue.

    Even more confusing was that the program "FanSpeed" indicated my case fans seemed to be OK. (See attached image "fan_alert02.jpg)

    Only through the help of someone in another forum to which I belong was I able to discover that it was from the Matrox card. I replaced the graphics card and the warning disappeared.

    I've contacted Matrox and made the recommendation that they indicate on the warning that the problem indeed stems from the graphics card and not another fan in the system.

    Strangely enough, there wasn't a single hit in Google that mentions this particular warning, or a "FanAlarm" at all. I was sort of wondering how the person who started this thread knew the problem originated from the Matrox card.

    In making this post, I actually just wanted to get this information on the Web. I hope I can help a future "unsuspecting victim".

    Attached Files:

  5. elisgnlp

    elisgnlp

    Joined: