    So my question is, Anybody else using a GF3 and think it is good enough?
    After all when DOOM 3 was first supposed to come out, they say it would run
    fine on a GF3.

    Hades, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Hades

    SpaceWalker Guest

    Amazing...

    The GF3 was a very good card but in no way a match to the 5900... If you did
    not see a difference in game then you must have really screwed up. Games
    should have played faster and you could have set the visuals higher than you
    could have with the GF3. Even if you ran the card on the same CPU, unless
    it's a seriously underpowered CPU, it would run faster.

    BTW, I ran a GF3 and now run an ATI 9500PRO, which I got becouse at it's
    prime, There was nothing better for the price. I've been using nVidia since
    my first Riva128.

    SpaceWalker, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Hades

    neopolaris Guest

    I'm pretty sure his does all that. I just went through the same thing. My
    ti200 is just not slow yet. I'm running a KT6 and an XP2500 10.5x215.
    11,000 3Dmark02. I was still playing 1942 using 32-bit and 1024x768 all
    graphics max. Ran good....I received my 5900 on Tuesday. If there wasn't a
    15% restocking fee + shipping it might have gone back. Sure it's faster.
    It's starting to grow on me now. Overclocks well. I noticed a huge
    increase in eye candy when I reinstalled that Painkiller demo. wow. Got
    5700 "even" in 3Dmark03-had about 1000 with the ti200 for what that matters.
    Ya know, if these damn games would just get here alot of us could figure out
    what the heck we need. ;) Buyers remorse-I dunno. Miss my ti200? yup.
    wierd ain't it.

    neopolaris, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Hades

    Hades Guest

    The rest of my system thats counts is:

    XP 3000
    FIC AU13 mobo
    3 sticks mushkin PC 2700 512MB each
    Win XP Pro

    Hades, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Hades

    SpaceWalker Guest

    HADES,

    You are definately not CPU limited. But don't count on that GF3 to play
    games like Doom3, Half Life2, Far Cry, UT 2004, at max settings with all the
    eye candy turned on...

    My 9500PRO plays most resent games fairly well, but i would gladly up grade
    to either a 5900 or a 9800 if i had the money...

    I'm running a P4 2.0 and so far it pairs up nicely with the 9500pro..

    SpaceWalker, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Hades

    John Lewis Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 02:40:52 GMT, "Hades" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I had a GF3 for a couple years now, thought I would upgrade. I bought a FX
    >5900 and sent it back.
    >
    >Although the FX 5900 ran benchmarks visibly faster and came in with higher
    >scores, I have not seen a difference over my GF3 in playing games.
    >Especially HALO which I took off my computer because it seems to run like
    >shit no matter what. Other games which have more detail and more action on
    >the screen (Unreal Anything) run smooth as can be.

    Sorry, not the FX5900's problem.

    You failed to tell us the most important facts.

    What CPU ? What memory type and size ? What OS? What motherboard ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Hades

    Darthy Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I had a GF3 for a couple years now, thought I would upgrade. I bought a FX
    >5900 and sent it back.

    How premature... why ask after the fact?

    >Although the FX 5900 ran benchmarks visibly faster and came in with higher
    >scores, I have not seen a difference over my GF3 in playing games.
    >Especially HALO which I took off my computer because it seems to run like
    >shit no matter what. Other games which have more detail and more action on
    >the screen (Unreal Anything) run smooth as can be.

    1 - HALO is a crap engine.
    2 - You may have OTHER issues as to why the 5900 wasn't much faster
    than your GF3.

    3 - Considering that I have the faster GF4Ti4200 and an ATI9800Pro (in
    the same class as the 5900) the ATI totally smokes my Ti4200 in FPS
    and DETAILS. Read one of my posts below about UT2004. The 5900
    should looks pretty much the same as the ATI9800.

    Halo looks only a little better on a true DX9 card... HALo is crappy
    game tech.

    >So my question is, Anybody else using a GF3 and think it is good enough?
    >After all when DOOM 3 was first supposed to come out, they say it would run
    >fine on a GF3.

    If UT2004 brings a Ti4200 to its knees in FULL DETAIL to under 10fps
    (and still not match the visual quality of my ATI9800) - trust me....
    your GF3 will kill itself on Doom3 and Half Life2.

    >XP 3000
    >FIC AU13 mobo
    >3 sticks mushkin PC 2700 512MB each

    Good CPU horse power, but other problems will hurt your performance...
    drivers, spyware, ad-ware, crapware (AIM, etc) and who knows what.

    When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

    Death to Palladium & WPA!!

    Darthy, Mar 7, 2004