Ghost in the machine

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JohnB, Apr 7, 2012.

  1. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Hi -

    I have a mystery. Every night, I put my system into hibernation by pressing
    the power buttom (with a Dell XPS 8400 running XP pro). In the morning, the
    computer is on. It happens every night for about 2 weeks now. I started
    thinking perhaps I was sleepwalking, but no, the tape I placed across my
    office door was intact in the morning.

    Looking at the event viewer, I see the following entry at 12:59 a.m. every
    night: "The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the running
    state." It seems to me that this is the system coming out of hibernation.

    I am not smart enough to figure this one out. How does a system power itself
    up and come out of hibernation at the same time every night?

    I did have system issues just before this started two weeks ago that
    involved booting in safe mode, but for the life of me I can't remember what
    it was I did, because I spent all of last weekend chasing down a nasty virus
    on my daughter's laptop.

    Any idea? Is there any setting one can make that would result in this
    behavior?

    Thanks - John
    JohnB, Apr 7, 2012

  2. JohnB