Ghosting Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by chevy, May 21, 2007.

  1. chevy

    chevy Guest

    Got a Compaq s6010V with a bad motherboard. Didn't get a chance to make the
    recovery disks before it went down. Put the Hard drive in another system to
    back up the hard drive. I used Norton Ghost to clone both partitions, the
    main partition with the OS and the recovery partition.
    I would like to make the recovery CD's. Can this be done from the image of
    the partitions? Can this even be done from the original hard drive in
    another system. Since the recovery disk can only be made once, I'd prefer to
    make them from the ghosted image and leave the original recovery files in
    tact (in case I get the system running and could make another recovery disk
    if needed). Hope I didn't confuse you there.

    Here is what I've done so far:
    On the ghosted image of the main partition with the OS I went into the
    Windows file, opened the CREATOR file and found the CD Creator application
    and started the Recovery CD making process. It will go through the whole
    process and start burning. During the burning process (DVD) it will complete
    about 25% of the burning and stop. Gave some kind of error in the burning
    process. Can't get any farther than this. Thsi work is being done on an
    External hard drive. My guess would be during the burning process it need
    some info from the mother board or bios to burn. Since there is no mother
    board it can't finish.

    I was able to make a copy of the Recovery Tools CD.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!
    chevy, May 21, 2007

  2. chevy

    - Bobb - Guest

    "chevy" <> wrote in message
    > Got a Compaq s6010V with a bad motherboard. Didn't get a chance to
    > make the recovery disks before it went down.

    If you bought it at retail - I'd just bring it back to store/vendor for
    replacement and not mess with it at all !

    Having said that ... when I bought HP laptop I checked into ghosting
    first and was told ( here I believe) that ghosting wouldn't help - once
    I created the DVD's ( not CDs) there was no way of restoring that image
    to do it again. And it had to run from their script, which then - does
    something - to the drive to prevent DVD creation again. Apparently they
    went out of their way to be sure that one and only one set of backup
    media could be created - and it would only restore to that system. So if
    you did make it on "system X" , it would only restore to "system X" -
    not doing you any good on this box.

    If I could correct your wording ... it's not a "partition" that you're
    trying to save.
    It's a set of instructions that will turn their factory-saved / encryted
    file into bootable media.

    Good Luck.
    Bobb

    - Bobb -, May 22, 2007