Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P BIOS beep codes not documented, CPU problems

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by RoundSparrow, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. RoundSparrow

    RoundSparrow Guest

    Hi,

    Got a new GA-P35-DS3P that wouldn't boot. Got 3 beeps, pause, 8
    beeps. Would reset then repeat the beep codes.

    Replaced power supply, video card, RAM (3 sets), nothing worked.

    Ultimately the cause was the CPU. Intel Celeron D 336 that I had put
    on to flash the BIOS with before I replaced the Celeron with a
    quadcore Core 2 G0 stepping. I had assumed the Celeron was old and
    compatible with anything.

    The Celeron D 336 works perfectly fine in an older Gigabyte P965-DS3 -
    and it is listed on the compatibility for both motherboards.
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?...

    Hopefully this beep code will be of use to someone.

    The BIOS beep codes are very poorly documented on the Gigabyte website
    and owners manual. It does not even describe such a pattern of beep,
    pause, beep and only describes "long and short" beeps (all beeps were
    same length).

    Anyway, hope this helps someone.

    Stephen Gutknecht
    Canyon Lake, Texas

    1. Advertising

  2. davy

    davy Guest

    Is there any help here for you?

    Mobo bios beep codes & bios diagnostics 'Bios Central'
    (http://www.bioscentral.com/) and
    'BIOS Beep Codes' (http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html) and
    another
    'PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes'
    (http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml#phoenix)

    The only suggestion I can think think of right now is disconnect
    everything except the CPU, RAM and graphic card... you will get POST or
    should we say bios boot with just these, also able to get into bios set
    up screen too if all was working well... this sure does cut a things
    out.

    If all was well at this stage you'd get a message something like
    "Please insert your operating disc" or "No disc found" but you aren't
    even getting to this stage where the bios hands control over to the CPU
    and the hard drive load's.

    So this leaves the mobo, CPU, RAM, video card and power supply unit.

    Davy

    1. Advertising

  3. SumGuy

    SumGuy Guest

    "RoundSparrow" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Got a new GA-P35-DS3P that wouldn't boot. Got 3 beeps, pause, 8
    > beeps. Would reset then repeat the beep codes.
    >
    > Replaced power supply, video card, RAM (3 sets), nothing worked.
    >
    > Ultimately the cause was the CPU. Intel Celeron D 336 that I had put
    > on to flash the BIOS with before I replaced the Celeron with a
    > quadcore Core 2 G0 stepping. I had assumed the Celeron was old and
    > compatible with anything.
    >
    > The Celeron D 336 works perfectly fine in an older Gigabyte P965-DS3 -
    > and it is listed on the compatibility for both motherboards.
    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?...
    >
    > Hopefully this beep code will be of use to someone.
    >
    > The BIOS beep codes are very poorly documented on the Gigabyte website
    > and owners manual. It does not even describe such a pattern of beep,
    > pause, beep and only describes "long and short" beeps (all beeps were
    > same length).
    >
    > Anyway, hope this helps someone.
    >
    > Stephen Gutknecht
    > Canyon Lake, Texas

    From the Gigabyte support site.

    1.AWARD BIOS
    1short beep :System normal
    2 short beep :CMOS Error
    1 long beep and 1 short beep :Memory error
    1 long beep and 2 short beep :Graphic card error
    1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error
    1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error
    Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed
    Continuous short beep :power supply unit failed

    2.AMI BIOS
    1 short beep :Memory Error
    2 short beep:Memory parity check error.
    3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error
    4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error
    6 short beep :Keyboard error
    7 short beep :CPU interruption error
    8 short beep:Graphic card error
    9 short beep :Memory error
    10 short beep :CMOS error
    11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

    Did you ever consider there were two problems?

    It seems pretty easy to me to pick between a long beep and short beep.
    What would you describe the start up beep as?

    Having said that, I have had moments when there was a peripheral problem and
    my mobo, (of whatever flavour), gave no beeps at all.

  4. RoundSparrow

    RoundSparrow Guest

    On Aug 7, 11:28 pm, "SumGuy" <> wrote:
    > "RoundSparrow" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > Got a new GA-P35-DS3P that wouldn't boot. Got 3 beeps, pause, 8
    > > beeps. Would reset then repeat thebeepcodes.

    > > Replaced power supply, video card, RAM (3 sets), nothing worked.

    > > Ultimately the cause was the CPU. Intel Celeron D 336 that I had put
    > > on to flash theBIOSwith before I replaced the Celeron with a
    > > quadcore Core 2 G0 stepping. I had assumed the Celeron was old and
    > > compatible with anything.

    > > The Celeron D 336 works perfectly fine in an olderGigabyteP965-DS3 -
    > > and it is listed on the compatibility for both motherboards.
    > >http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?...

    > > Hopefully thisbeepcode will be of use to someone.

    > > TheBIOSbeepcodes are very poorly documented on theGigabytewebsite
    > > and owners manual. It does not even describe such a pattern ofbeep,
    > > pause,beepand only describes "long and short" beeps (all beeps were
    > > same length).

    > > Anyway, hope this helps someone.

    > > Stephen Gutknecht
    > > Canyon Lake, Texas

    > From theGigabytesupport site.
    >
    > 1.AWARDBIOS
    > 1shortbeep:System normal
    > 2 shortbeep:CMOS Error
    > 1 longbeepand 1 shortbeep:Memory error
    > 1 longbeepand 2 shortbeep:Graphic card error
    > 1 longbeepand 3 shortbeep:AGP error
    > 1 longbeepand 9 shortbeep:Memory Error
    > Continuous longbeep:Memory not correctly installed
    > Continuous shortbeep:power supply unit failed
    >
    > 2.AMIBIOS
    > 1 shortbeep:Memory Error
    > 2 shortbeep:Memory parity check error.
    > 3 shortbeep:basic memory 64K address check error
    > 4 shortbeep:Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 shortbeep:CPU error
    > 6 shortbeep:Keyboard error
    > 7 shortbeep:CPU interruption error
    > 8 shortbeep:Graphic card error
    > 9 shortbeep:Memory error
    > 10 shortbeep:CMOS error
    > 11 shortbeep:CPU cache memory malfunction
    >
    > Did you ever consider there were two problems?
    >
    > It seems pretty easy to me to pick between a longbeepand shortbeep.
    > What would you describe the start upbeepas?
    >
    > Having said that, I have had moments when there was a peripheral problem and
    > my mobo, (of whatever flavour), gave no beeps at all.

    Thank you for your attempt to help.

    As posted in the original message, I already fixed the problem. It
    was only _one_ problem, CPU compatibility (despite being a listed
    compatible CPU, and the CPU was confirmed working in another model
    Gigabyte motherbaord).

    The beep codes are just not documented, period. They are nothing like
    the ones described in the manual, they are much more rich and complex.

    Stephen