Gigabyte SLI- F7H BIOS

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Richard Dower, Mar 14, 2005.

    1. Advertising

  1. JBAZ

    JBAZ Guest

    Richard Dower Wrote:
    > http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/167683/k8nxpsli.f7h

    Thanks for the post Richard,

    Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB bio
    not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.

    Has anyone had better luck with the F7H bios over the F6 bios

    --
    JBAZ

    1. Advertising

  2. > Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB bios
    > not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.

    Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask is that I'm
    watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there with SLI
    based motherboards are to do with SATA.

    Cheers, Rob.

  3. JBAZ

    JBAZ Guest

    Rob Nicholson Wrote:
    > Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my M
    > bios-
    > not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.-
    >
    > Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask is tha
    > I'm
    > watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there wit
    > SLI
    > based motherboards are to do with SATA.
    >
    > Cheers, Rob.

    On the Gigabyte I believe 4 of the 8 are controlled by the NF4 chipset
    The 4 SATA II ports are controlled by the Nvidia nf4 chipset and th
    other 4 SATA I ports are controlled by the SIL 3114 onboard chip.

    To be honest, I think most of the problems aren't with the NF4 board
    or thier BIOS. They are problems related to user error and poor manua
    documentation. The BIOS can be a little tricky to setup properly an
    the Gigabyte user manual is woefully inadequate in explaining how t
    set up a single non-raid SATA drive. The Gigabyte comes with the RAI
    functions enabled so if your not using RAID you have to make sure an
    disable ALL of the RAID functions. With a little trial and error I'v
    been able to figure out the proper settings and now my MB is stable an
    recognizing my SATA drive every time on soft and hard bootup

    --
    JBAZ

  4. BillL

    BillL Guest

    "JBAZ" <> wrote in message

    > Rob Nicholson Wrote:
    >> Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB
    >> bios-
    >> not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.-
    >>
    >> Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask is that
    >> I'm
    >> watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there with
    >> SLI
    >> based motherboards are to do with SATA.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Rob.

    > On the Gigabyte I believe 4 of the 8 are controlled by the NF4 chipset.
    > The 4 SATA II ports are controlled by the Nvidia nf4 chipset and the
    > other 4 SATA I ports are controlled by the SIL 3114 onboard chip.
    >
    > To be honest, I think most of the problems aren't with the NF4 boards
    > or thier BIOS. They are problems related to user error and poor manual
    > documentation. The BIOS can be a little tricky to setup properly and
    > the Gigabyte user manual is woefully inadequate in explaining how to
    > set up a single non-raid SATA drive. The Gigabyte comes with the RAID
    > functions enabled so if your not using RAID you have to make sure and
    > disable ALL of the RAID functions. With a little trial and error I've
    > been able to figure out the proper settings and now my MB is stable and
    > recognizing my SATA drive every time on soft and hard bootup.
    >

    > --
    > JBAZ

    I'm also getting SATA (Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB) disc failures of soft
    reboots. I don't think its how the boards been setup & I have decent
    components (e.g. OCZ 520 watt PSU, Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM etc.). I did
    have problems initially (the default RAID setup *is* a pain) but the errors
    occur despite disabling all the RAID functions.

    BillL

  5. JBAZ

    JBAZ Guest

    BillL Wrote:
    > "JBAZ" wrote in message
    >
    > Rob Nicholson Wrote:-
    > Do you know what this bios fixes? I'm having a problem with my MB
    > bios-
    > not detecting my non-raid SATA drive on soft reboots.-
    >
    > Is the SATA logic part of the nForce chipset? Only reason I ask i
    > that
    > I'm
    > watching the ASUS newsgroup and a lot of the problems over there with
    > SLI
    > based motherboards are to do with SATA.
    >
    > Cheers, Rob.-
    >
    > On the Gigabyte I believe 4 of the 8 are controlled by the NF
    > chipset.
    > The 4 SATA II ports are controlled by the Nvidia nf4 chipset and the
    > other 4 SATA I ports are controlled by the SIL 3114 onboard chip.
    >
    > To be honest, I think most of the problems aren't with the NF4 boards
    > or thier BIOS. They are problems related to user error and poo
    > manual
    > documentation. The BIOS can be a little tricky to setup properly and
    > the Gigabyte user manual is woefully inadequate in explaining how to
    > set up a single non-raid SATA drive. The Gigabyte comes with th
    > RAID
    > functions enabled so if your not using RAID you have to make sure and
    > disable ALL of the RAID functions. With a little trial and erro
    > I've
    > been able to figure out the proper settings and now my MB is stabl
    > and
    > recognizing my SATA drive every time on soft and hard bootup.
    >

    > --
    > JBAZ-
    >
    > I'm also getting SATA (Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB) disc failures o
    > soft
    > reboots. I don't think its how the boards been setup & I have decent
    > components (e.g. OCZ 520 watt PSU, Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM etc.)
    > I did
    > have problems initially (the default RAID setup *is* a pain) but th
    > errors
    > occur despite disabling all the RAID functions.
    >
    > BillL

    Well I thought I had resolved the issue. For two days my GA-K8NXP-SL
    recognized my SATA drive on soft bootup. But, this morning it stoppe
    recognizing it again on restarts. Very Odd....
    I emailed Gigabyte on Monday regarding the problem and they got back t
    me yesterday (wednesday) with the response attached below.
    After reading the reply I'm wondering how installing RAID drivers i
    going to help my system when I'm not using the RAID function.

    Has anyone out there solved the SATA drive soft boot issue?

    Gigabyte's Technical Service Response:

    "Hello,

    Please follow the steps below to install Windows XP or Windows 2k o
    the Nvidia SATA Raid function:
    First, you need the motherboard driver CD, a blank floppy diskette, an
    a working PC to create a driver disk.

    1. Place the motherboard CD into a working PC.

    2. Place the blank floppy into the floppy drive.

    3. On the motherboard CD, go to " BOOTDRV" folder, and to "Menu" file
    double click on the "menu" file, and choose the driver that you need t
    make by pressing the number /letter key. For instance, if you want t
    create a NVIDIA native RAID driver disk, and the correspondence optio
    for the driver is letter "E", all you need to do is insert a goo
    floppy diskett to floppy drive then press "E” on the keyboard, and th
    PC will copy the driver files onto the diskette for you automatically

    Start to load windows , Boot system up with the Windows CD on CDro
    when SETUP screen shows press F6 after windows loaded basic drivers
    message prompted press S key to specify special driver,press S key an
    inset the floppy disk that has the “NVIDIA RAID class driver” an
    “Nvidia Nforce Storage Controller” driver load the Nvidia classic Rai
    classic driver first then press S again load the Nvidia Nforce storag
    controller driver ( need to load two drivers)
    follow the instructions on the monitor to complete the O/
    installation. After the O/S is installed, install the mother drivers b
    placing the mother driver CD into the PC and select the "Expres
    Installation" option and click on the "Go" button.

    Thank You

    --
    JBAZ

  6. BillL

    BillL Guest

    "JBAZ" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > floppy diskett to floppy drive then press "E" on the keyboard, and the
    > PC will copy the driver files onto the diskette for you automatically.
    >
    > Start to load windows , Boot system up with the Windows CD on CDrom
    > when SETUP screen shows press F6 after windows loaded basic drivers a
    > message prompted press S key to specify special driver,press S key and
    > inset the floppy disk that has the "NVIDIA RAID class driver" and
    > "Nvidia Nforce Storage Controller" driver load the Nvidia classic Raid
    > classic driver first then press S again load the Nvidia Nforce storage
    > controller driver ( need to load two drivers)
    > follow the instructions on the monitor to complete the O/S
    > installation. After the O/S is installed, install the mother drivers by
    > placing the mother driver CD into the PC and select the "Express
    > Installation" option and click on the "Go" button.

    Hmmm you *shouldn't* have to go through the above process to have a
    stand-alone, non-raided SATA setup - this should only be for RAID
    configurations.

    BillL

  7. JBAZ

    JBAZ Guest

    Hmmm you *shouldn't* have to go through the above process to have a
    stand-alone, non-raided SATA setup - this should only be for RAID
    configurations.

    BillL

    Gigabyte Technical Service emailed me back again with beta bios F7R.
    I'm going to try it when I get home tonight. Hopefully this new Bio
    will clear up the SATA soft boot recognition problem...

    --
    JBAZ

  8. > I'm also getting SATA (Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB) disc failures of soft
    > reboots. I don't think its how the boards been setup & I have decent

    Strangely, we're getting a completely different Tyan Athlon MP based system
    that's rebooting and hanging with a SIS chipset SATA PCI card and two Maxtor
    Diamond Max drives. The log is often full of disk system errors before the
    hang. I wonder if there's a problem with the Maxtor and SATA...

    Rob.

  9. maxximus

    maxximus Guest

    Have any of you guys got a permanent fix- hows the f7h bios.

    I Get this random non-recogntion of my maxtor 200gb sata -even after
    diabling raid. It took about 20 boots to fail but it failed
    nonetheless.

    Thinking about changing the Maxtor for a Seagate barracuda SATA-
    anyone know if its a problem with Maxtor.

  10. There is a more recent BIOS for this motherboard, Google and find the
    download links.

    "maxximus" <-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Have any of you guys got a permanent fix- hows the f7h bios.
    >
    > I Get this random non-recogntion of my maxtor 200gb sata -even after
    > diabling raid. It took about 20 boots to fail but it failed
    > nonetheless.
    >
    > Thinking about changing the Maxtor for a Seagate barracuda SATA-
    > anyone know if its a problem with Maxtor.

  11. maxximus

    maxximus Guest

    Any links to the latest bios and is it any good for the known probs.

  12. JBAZ

    JBAZ Guest

    --
    JBAZ