Gigabyte SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN connections Help

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by neworder7@hotmail.com, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi I'm having troubles understanding what the SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN
    connections are for and what to plug into them as ive recently
    purchased the Gigabyte K8N-Pro SLI motherboard along with a coolmaster
    centrium 5 case and a Seasonic S12 430w power supply.

    My case fans use the 4pin HD connections so I have ruled these out
    being used and i have noticed i have one 3pin connection from my power
    supply which im guessing could be for the SYS_FAN or the PWR_FAN, and
    wondering which one it should be plugged into, and its role. Ive tried
    both and i have noticed anything.

    Last of all can i control the speed of my case fans cpu with the Easy
    Tune utilty or dose AMD CPUS control the speed. Ive notcied i can
    change the settings in Easy Tune.

    Last of is it safe to have my case fans switched off as im trying to
    make my system silent.

    Thanks

    , Mar 19, 2006

  2. Alex Fraser Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm having troubles understanding what the SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN
    > connections are for and what to plug into them as ive recently
    > purchased the Gigabyte K8N-Pro SLI motherboard along with a coolmaster
    > centrium 5 case and a Seasonic S12 430w power supply.
    >
    > My case fans use the 4pin HD connections so I have ruled these out
    > being used and i have noticed i have one 3pin connection from my power
    > supply which im guessing could be for the SYS_FAN or the PWR_FAN, and
    > wondering which one it should be plugged into, and its role. Ive tried
    > both and i have noticed anything.
    >
    > Last of all can i control the speed of my case fans cpu with the Easy
    > Tune utilty or dose AMD CPUS control the speed. Ive notcied i can
    > change the settings in Easy Tune.

    The SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN connectors on the motherboard have +V, 0V and a
    "sense" line for monitoring fan speed; the same as the CPU fan connector.
    The "Easy Tune utility" likely allows you to adjust the voltage on the +V
    pin of each connector, which affects the fan speed. So, if you want to
    control the speed of the case fans with this software, the fans must be
    connected to the SYS_FAN and/or PWR_FAN connectors.

    The 3-pin connector from the PSU probably only has two pins connected, 0V
    and "sense", and can be connected to either the SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN connector
    to enable the PSU fan RPM to be monitored.

    The CPU, by itself, does not control any fan speeds.

    > Last of is it safe to have my case fans switched off as im trying to
    > make my system silent.

    It depends; all cases are different.

    A fan below the PSU usually has a substantial effect on temperatures and
    removing it might actually make the system louder(!) because the CPU and PSU
    fans must shift more air to stay sufficiently cool. This is particularly
    true if the case fan is large and runs slowly.

    A fan at the bottom front of the case does not usually have so much effect
    on temperatures, but may have more effect on noise level. Such a fan can
    (depending on the case and other factors) be useful for ensuring cool air to
    hard drives, and for reducing dust build-up.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Mar 19, 2006