Glyph Antialiasing vs. Clear Type

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by AJ, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. AJ

    AJ Guest

    Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
    hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
    Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

    AJ

    1. Advertising

  2. "AJ" <> wrote in message...
    > Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

    Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage,
    whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a slightly moot point.

    > Is hardware antialiasing better?

    At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks
    better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer Microsoft's take to Matrox's.

    > Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

    Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really
    matters.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  3. Arthur Hagen

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    AJ <> wrote:
    > Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
    > hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
    > Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

    ClearType is a subpixel anti-aliasing method that really only works well if
    you have a TFT display with horisontally arranged subpixels. If you do, it
    allows for much smoother anti-aliasing. Matrox' glyph anti-aliasing is far
    better for CRT displays, both because it allows you to adjust the amount of
    aliasing, and because it uses the graphics card anti-aliasing routines,
    meaning better results with less CPU use.

    arranged like below, go for ClearType. If not, go with Matrox Glyph
    anti-aliasing.

    ClearType compatible subpixel setup -- look *real* close, or use a
    magnifying glass to see if it matches:

    R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B

    ClearType *incompatible* subpixel setup -- if you have this, ClearType will
    make things worse, with distinct coloured edges on letters:

    R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
    G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
    B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B
    R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
    G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
    B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

  4. AJ

    AJ Guest

    "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message news:4127bc6c$0$20249$...
    > "AJ" <> wrote in message...
    >> Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

    > Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage, whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a
    > slightly moot point.
    >
    >> Is hardware antialiasing better?

    > At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer
    > Microsoft's take to Matrox's.
    >
    >> Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

    > Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really matters.

    Antialiasing was the reason I was considering the P650 over the G450.
    I'd rather have a PCI card than an AGP at this technology transitionary time.
    Since ClearType is basically the same as Matrox's hardware antialiasing,
    I don't think then the P650 is worth $80 more than the G450 (even if it is
    twice as fast). Thanks for your comments.

    AJ

  5. AJ

    AJ Guest

    "Arthur Hagen" <> wrote in message news:cg8llb$79g$...
    > AJ <> wrote:
    >> Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software? Is
    >> hardware antialiasing better? Should I turn off
    >> Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

    > ClearType is a subpixel anti-aliasing method that really only works well if
    > you have a TFT display with horisontally arranged subpixels.

    It works VERY well on my CRT thanks to the ClearType tuner on the web. Text
    at 1600x1200 on my 19" G90fb Viewsonic is very clear. Much more readable
    than without it or with "standard smoothing".

    > If you do, it
    > allows for much smoother anti-aliasing. Matrox' glyph anti-aliasing is far
    > better for CRT displays, both because it allows you to adjust the amount of
    > aliasing, and because it uses the graphics card anti-aliasing routines,
    > meaning better results with less CPU use.

    That would be nice on my current CPU, I don't think it'll be a problem on
    my new one though.

    > arranged like below, go for ClearType. If not, go with Matrox Glyph
    > anti-aliasing.

    Are you speaking from experience or just theory? Have you tested both
    scenarios on the same monitor/OS?

    > ClearType compatible subpixel setup -- look *real* close, or use a
    > magnifying glass to see if it matches:
    >
    > R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    > R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    > R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    > R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    > R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    > R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B|R G B
    >
    > ClearType *incompatible* subpixel setup -- if you have this, ClearType will
    > make things worse, with distinct coloured edges on letters:
    >
    > R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
    > G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
    > B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B
    > R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R|R R R
    > G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G|G G G
    > B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B|B B B

    I don't get any colored edges on letters thanks to the ClearType Tuner. Without
    the tuner, I've seen what you're talking about though. My fonts are fat and dark
    black. I run 1600x1200 with font sizes scaled up to around 135%. Text on my
    screen is very close if not exactly the size of 10 pt font printed. (My G90fb is a
    shadow mask monitor and not an aperature grill type).

    AJ

  6. Doug Ramage

    Doug Ramage Guest

    > "AJ" <> wrote in message...
    > > Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

    > Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage,
    > whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a slightly moot point.
    >
    > > Is hardware antialiasing better?

    > At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks
    > better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer Microsoft's take to Matrox's.
    >
    > > Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

    > Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really
    > matters.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)

    I would agree - I prefer MS ClearType to Matrox on my P650 and 19" TFT.

    However, the Matrox option is good for Windows 2000 - I have a multiple OS
    system.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [watch spam trap]