Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

Discussion in 'MSI' started by pc.expertise@gmail.com, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    simply need too detailed info of the internals.

    MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    music all day long.

    Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    either.

    Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    Hadrian

    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    MSI and Gigabyte are TERRIBLE Taiwanese Companies of Motherboards Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Nov 1, 3:30 pm, wrote:
    > I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >
    > MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > music all day long.
    >
    > Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > either.
    >
    > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    > Hadrian

    1. Advertising

  3. david

    david Guest

    Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economicalmotherboards

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some electrons
    to say:

    > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    > Hadrian

    Try Intel.

  4. wrote:
    > I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >
    > MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > music all day long.
    >
    > Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > either.

    You must have had bad experiences with ASUS as mine were the exact
    opposite. In over ten years of buying their boards I have had one with
    a problem. I got hold of their tech support in a couple of minutes and
    had a RMA shortly afterwards. A little over a week later I had a
    replacement board. Why you feel this is bad service, or that ASUS makes
    bad boards I don't see. I started using their boards after a
    recommendation from a friend at Microsoft who said that a lot of the
    people there were using their boards.
    I don't expect any company to make upgrades available for their hardware
    years after it was released but ASUS does. When I bought a P2B-S
    motherboard the highest Pentium available was only capable of going up
    to 450 MHz. I later upgraded the BIOS and installed an 850 MHz CPU in
    and everything worked as if the board was designed for the processor.
    I might have bought cheaper motherboards in the past but reliability and
    ease of setup are far more important to me than a couple of dollars
    savings, especially if I don't have to replace the board every time I
    want to do an upgrade.

    > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    > Hadrian

  5. kony

    kony Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    >Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    >chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    >the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    >freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    >board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    >similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    >the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    >the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    >their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    >simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >
    >MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    >company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    >California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    >and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    >music all day long.
    >
    >Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    >The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    >either.
    >
    >Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    >Hadrian

    Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes
    amazing how quickly they can spin out new versions.

    No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing
    flaws. That you might have some examples from one
    manufacturer or another of occasional problems is no reason
    to ignore any of the major brands in general.

    Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it
    being better than 99% working... most people who feel theirs
    is any better than that, just haven't came across the
    particular flaw(s) present in theirs because every system
    and use is a little bit different.

  6. Frank McCoy

    Frank McCoy Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt kony <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 -0000,
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    >>Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    >>chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    >>the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    >>freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    >>board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    >>similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    >>the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    >>the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    >>their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    >>simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >>
    >>MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    >>company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    >>California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    >>and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    >>music all day long.
    >>
    >>Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >>support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    >>The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    >>either.
    >>
    >>Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >>quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >>
    >>Hadrian

    >Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes
    >amazing how quickly they can spin out new versions.
    >
    >No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing
    >flaws. That you might have some examples from one
    >manufacturer or another of occasional problems is no reason
    >to ignore any of the major brands in general.
    >
    >Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it
    >being better than 99% working... most people who feel theirs
    >is any better than that, just haven't came across the
    >particular flaw(s) present in theirs because every system
    >and use is a little bit different.

    I have yet to find a motherboard without a flaw.
    I *try* to buy motherboards whose flaws I personally can live with.
    Sometimes that's incredibly difficult; especially when I'm constrained
    by buying (or already having) a particular processor I can afford; or
    having previously-acquired boards that I need to match my particular
    use. ;-{

    (For example: I *need* two floppy drives; never mind why. My present
    mobo is the first one I've had that for some strange reason only
    supports *one* floppy. So ... I bought an ATA floppy drive. It works;
    but means I only have three other ATA slots; that are now all full.)

    --
    _____
    / ' / â„¢

  7. Guest

    On Nov 1, 4:03 pm, david <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some electrons
    > to say:
    >

    > > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    > > Hadrian

    > Try Intel.

    Any feature equivalent motherboard to the MSI one I am talking about ?

  8. Guest

    On Nov 1, 5:09 pm, "Michael W. Ryder" <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > > Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > > chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > > the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > > freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > > board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > > similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > > the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > > the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > > their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > > simply need too detailed info of the internals.

    > > MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > > company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > > California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > > and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > > music all day long.

    > > Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > > support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > > The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > > either.

    > You must have had bad experiences with ASUS as mine were the exact
    > opposite. In over ten years of buying their boards I have had one with
    > a problem. I got hold of their tech support in a couple of minutes and
    > had a RMA shortly afterwards. A little over a week later I had a
    > replacement board. Why you feel this is bad service, or that ASUS makes
    > bad boards I don't see. I started using their boards after a
    > recommendation from a friend at Microsoft who said that a lot of the
    > people there were using their boards.
    > I don't expect any company to make upgrades available for their hardware
    > years after it was released but ASUS does. When I bought a P2B-S
    > motherboard the highest Pentium available was only capable of going up
    > to 450 MHz. I later upgraded the BIOS and installed an 850 MHz CPU in
    > and everything worked as if the board was designed for the processor.
    > I might have bought cheaper motherboards in the past but reliability and
    > ease of setup are far more important to me than a couple of dollars
    > savings, especially if I don't have to replace the board every time I
    > want to do an upgrade.

    Actually, I have an ASUS motherboard. Its BIOS are NOT BEING provided
    by ASUS but are being sold by Phoenix or AMI BIOS which ever wrote
    them
    originally. ASUS NEVER BOTHERED TO UPGRADE THEIR BIOS AND
    PROVIDE CUSTOMERS FOR FREE. That feature has to do with the
    addressing of the recent large EIDE hard drives. The conclusion about
    ASUS
    is that it is selling the same cheap crap as the Taiwanese companies.
    Its
    just that their people speak better english and are a little more
    politically
    correct. But not necessarily, actually correct.

    For example, I would like to know what codec ASUS MB offer and for
    what
    cost? Their MB has no heat pipes but still it is as expensive as MSI.
    With
    heat pipes it is in $250-300 range. so they already charged for
    replacement.
    MSI was not bad for replacement, once you found a way over the hurdles
    they erected.

    > > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    > > Hadrian

  9. Guest

    On Nov 1, 5:26 pm, kony <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 -0000,
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > >Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > >chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > >the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > >freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > >board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > >similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > >the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > >the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > >their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > >simply need too detailed info of the internals.

    > >MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > >company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > >California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > >and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > >music all day long.

    > >Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > >support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > >The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > >either.

    > >Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > >quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    > >Hadrian

    > Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes
    > amazing how quickly they can spin out new versions.

    One the contrary, if you consider your data as critical, all of
    the PC including MB is a critical component for any end user.

    The above attitude is a tremendous disrespect for an end user.

    > No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing
    > flaws. That you might have some examples from one
    > manufacturer or another of occasional problems is no reason
    > to ignore any of the major brands in general.
    >
    > Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it
    > being better than 99% working... most people who feel theirs
    > is any better than that, just haven't came across the
    > particular flaw(s) present in theirs because every system
    > and use is a little bit different.

  10. AHappyCamper

    AHappyCamper Guest

    > You must have had bad experiences with ASUS as mine were the exact
    > opposite. In over ten years of buying their boards I have had one with
    > a problem. I got hold of their tech support in a couple of minutes and
    > had a RMA shortly afterwards. A little over a week later I had a
    > replacement board. Why you feel this is bad service, or that ASUS makes
    > bad boards I don't see. I started using their boards after a
    > recommendation from a friend at Microsoft who said that a lot of the
    > people there were using their boards.
    > I don't expect any company to make upgrades available for their hardware
    > years after it was released but ASUS does. When I bought a P2B-S
    > motherboard the highest Pentium available was only capable of going up
    > to 450 MHz. I later upgraded the BIOS and installed an 850 MHz CPU in
    > and everything worked as if the board was designed for the processor.
    > I might have bought cheaper motherboards in the past but reliability and
    > ease of setup are far more important to me than a couple of dollars
    > savings, especially if I don't have to replace the board every time I
    > want to do an upgrade.

    Been running, building, fixing, re-using, hundreds of older machines in
    *BSD and GNU/Linux, since 1997, and have a few ASUS P2B-DS dual
    processor machines running, as well as some PL97, P3W, and others.

    There was a problem with the stabilizer in capacitors in 2000 through
    2004 but, (thank you EPA!) after that problem in consumer goods, that
    affected most makers of products(even some BMWs!), it is back to
    stability and full features that work well for me and my clients.

    There is the old saw:

    Choice is to make it:

    1. Cheap,
    2. Quickly available,
    3. Full-featured

    but, you may have only two of the choices.

    This MSI K8NGM2-FID board, running Mepis 6.5-64bit Linux, was delivered
    with the 939 pin AM2 AMD Sempron 3000+ cpu with heatsink/fan for $80.00,
    shipping free, from 3BTech, and all the GNU/Linux Distros and *BSD
    versions work well! (Haven't done the onboard SATA RAID, yet).

    Another happy customer. Have dozens of ASUS systems running well in a
    collage of over 120 systems here and in schools.

  11. kony

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:57:11 -0000,
    wrote:

    >> Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes
    >> amazing how quickly they can spin out new versions.

    >One the contrary, if you consider your data as critical, all of
    >the PC including MB is a critical component for any end user.

    I never wrote it wasn't, but you miss the important point:

    The user is irresponsible if trusting an untested system to
    anything important.

    Further, minor flaws are no factor when it comes to data
    integrity.

    If you are waiting for some perfect thing in life, you are
    wasting your time, it will never come and you'll constantly
    be upset and blaming others when other people manage to get
    by. REMEMBER this as it is a *fact of life*. Do not put
    all your eggs in one basket, do not operate without a safety
    net. Do not walk under ladders or cross a black cat's path
    if you want random guarantees instead of appreciating and
    testing what you have at hand.

    >The above attitude is a tremendous disrespect for an end user.

    Funny, I have no problem, it seems your irresponsible
    attitude caused a problem then you want to blame others.

    There are NO products, forget motherboards, I mean products
    in general, that are "ideal" in every way. If you want
    that, you will have to convince the industry to freeze
    technological advances, including performance advances, and
    then pay multiple times as much for each product.

    If you dislike motherboards this much then don't buy any...
    simple as that.

    The point is, you pay your money and take your chances like
    everyone else. THEN having the hardware, the only possible
    responsible action is to test and qualify the hardware for
    the intended use. Either it works acceptibly or you return
    it for refund immediately.

    That's the difference between DIY, build your own computer
    and buying some box from an OEM, that you place the burden
    of testing and qualification for any given purpose upon
    yourself. This is not a difficult thing for practical
    purposes, but did you do so or did you fail to and then
    spent the time you could have on testing, on complaining
    instead?

    Learn from your experience, and mine, that you should take
    what you can get based upon the best choice at the time,
    then just return the product if it doesn't meet a critical
    parameter to the particular use.

    Again, no motherboard is perfect. If you want to wait for
    one, you will never use a computer as there are none,
    whether it be DIY or OEM or even multi-thousand-dollar
    industrial boards... though in this latter case, the use is
    so mission-specific that it's possible there are no flaws
    that could effect the particular "mission".

    I do wish motherboards were more debugged than they are, but
    realize that's not free, it is more time and cost effective
    to deal with any problems when possible than seek some
    "perfect" solution, because it is always trial and error
    unless you want to pay someone to set up the exact scenario
    you want to try and extensively test it..... something that
    would cost many times more than the cost of a few
    motherboards.

  12. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have been buying nothing but Gigabyte boards for 7 years and have not
    had any issues at all. I religiously use the onbaord sound befcause I
    think it is comarable with atleast a SB Live, though my last 2 Gig
    boards have had the RealtekHD audio chipset. Yes they are a little more
    expensive than the other boards, but I have not had one issue with them.
    For a friend who wanted to cut corners I bought a Biostar board and was
    not impressed with it though it was about half the cost of the Gigabyte. I
    push my boards to the limit and cant complain at all.

    Later,
    Bill
    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:33:25 -0500, Frank McCoy wrote:

    > In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt kony <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 -0000, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    >>>Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio chip
    >>>has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable the
    >>>audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board freezes.
    >>>You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this board which
    >>>has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as similar boards by
    >>>Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses the audio codec by
    >>>the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in the newegg and other
    >>>sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably, their design engineers
    >>>wrote them, because some of the work arounds simply need too detailed
    >>>info of the internals.
    >>>
    >>>MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese company
    >>>is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry, California. It
    >>>would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers and get in touch
    >>>with their tech support. You will be hearing their music all day long.
    >>>
    >>>Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >>>support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg. The
    >>>fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price either.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >>>quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >>>
    >>>Hadrian

    >>Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes amazing how
    >>quickly they can spin out new versions.
    >>
    >>No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing flaws. That you
    >>might have some examples from one manufacturer or another of occasional
    >>problems is no reason to ignore any of the major brands in general.
    >>
    >>Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it being better than
    >>99% working... most people who feel theirs is any better than that, just
    >>haven't came across the particular flaw(s) present in theirs because
    >>every system and use is a little bit different.

    > I have yet to find a motherboard without a flaw. I *try* to buy
    > motherboards whose flaws I personally can live with. Sometimes that's
    > incredibly difficult; especially when I'm constrained by buying (or
    > already having) a particular processor I can afford; or having
    > previously-acquired boards that I need to match my particular use. ;-{
    >
    > (For example: I *need* two floppy drives; never mind why. My present mobo
    > is the first one I've had that for some strange reason only supports *one*
    > floppy. So ... I bought an ATA floppy drive. It works; but means I only
    > have three other ATA slots; that are now all full.)

  13. david

    david Guest

    Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economicalmotherboards

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:49:33 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some electrons
    to say:

    > On Nov 1, 4:03 pm, david <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some
    >> electrons to say:
    >>

    >> > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >> > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    >> > Hadrian

    >> Try Intel.

    > Any feature equivalent motherboard to the MSI one I am talking about ?

    http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/index.htm

  14. Darren Salt

    Darren Salt Guest

    I demand that Bill may or may not have written...

    > I have been buying nothing but Gigabyte boards for 7 years and have not
    > had any issues at all. I religiously use the onbaord sound befcause I
    > think it is comarable with atleast a SB Live,

    It has an on-board MIDI synth...?

    [snip]
    | + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

    What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.

  15. I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

    How good is Tyan?

  16. Len Mattix

    Len Mattix Guest

    What a bunch of crap!! Are you some kind of troll just looking for ways to
    waste bandwidth. Your information is certainly inaccurate and especially
    about ASUS motherboards. Also your cross posting further indicates the
    troll that I mentioned.

    I know that asking you to refrain from wasting bandwidth on nonsense and
    really bad information is wasted but here is trying!!

    Len
    <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > ASUS
    > is that it is selling the same cheap crap as the Taiwanese companies.
    > Its
    > just that their people speak better english and are a little more
    > politically
    > correct. But not necessarily, actually correct.
    >
    > For example, I would like to know what codec ASUS MB offer and for
    > what
    > cost? Their MB has no heat pipes but still it is as expensive as MSI.
    > With
    > heat pipes it is in $250-300 range. so they already charged for
    > replacement.
    > MSI was not bad for replacement, once you found a way over the hurdles
    > they erected.
    >
    >> > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >> > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

  17. Brett Kline

    Brett Kline Guest

    larry moe 'n curly wrote:
    > I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    > support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.
    >
    > How good is Tyan?

    The Tyan Trinity and Tomcat Socket A and 370 series served me well in
    50+ builds without a single RMA.

  18. Brett Kline

    Brett Kline Guest

    larry moe 'n curly wrote:
    > I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    > support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.
    >
    > How good is Tyan?

    The Tyan Trinity and Tomcat Socket A and 370 series served me well in
    50+ builds without a single RMA.

  19. Same Guy

    Same Guy Guest

    Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
    <>:

    >I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    >support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.
    >
    >How good is Tyan?

    TYAN is my MB of choice. I have 3 boards running in different computers
    right now with two of them about 8 years old and still running strong.

    I tried an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe once and found 3 issues with it after I
    started to tap into its full capabilities.

    - 1 of the RAM slots would see but not access a stick of Micron RAM in
    placed in there and I did extensive tests swapping sticks and changing
    settings to see if it was something other than defective.

    - One of the onboard USB 2.0 ports failed.

    - The LAN port would randomly lose its connection and this would occur
    more frequently as the board aged (1 year) . I tried using different
    cables and found that I had no issues after installing a dedicated NIC
    card.

    After this experience I went back to TYAN (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) and it
    just feels more solid to me. I'll be using the ASUS for a HTPC where I
    won't need to max it out.

    Regarding TYAN tech support, I found one issue with the Tomcat K8E-SLI
    S2866 and tech support was reachable and very responsive to email. That
    issue turned out to be a cheapo mouse I had and not the board itself.

    Personally, I plan on sticking w/TYAN for all my future boards.

  20. "Len Mattix" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message

    > What a bunch of crap!! Are you some kind of troll just looking for ways

    > waste bandwidth. Your information is certainly inaccurate and especially
    > about ASUS motherboards.

    I will never buy another piece of ASUS equipment.
    1. Sound-on-board circuitry of a P4P800S
    died within 18 months of purchase (2004.)
    2. Inquiring how to buy the wireless card (pictured in
    the P4P800S product guide) . . .
    -- 4 Sept 2006 emailed via http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
    -- email reply Sept. 7 referred me to 510 739 3777 Accessory Dept.
    -- I called Sept. 27; respondent undertook to reply phone or email (not
    done)
    -- I called Sept. 29: referred to 502 995 0883 option 5
    -- which hung up after 5 min. waiting
    Case Code :WTM20060905436466318

    It is simplest to avoid vendors like this.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs