    been using Asus for the past 5 years, so to narrow it down, is there a
    recommended Asus board?

    Thanks!
    Peter van der Goes, May 9, 2007

  2. Peter van der Goes

    Geoff Guest

    "Peter van der Goes" <> wrote in message
    > Planning a semi-budget second computer to be based on a Core 2 Duo
    > (probably an E4300).
    > I need ATX, only a single PCI-E X16 slot, no Firewire needed, no onboard
    > video, good BIOS overclocking features, Vista compatible and a reasonable
    > price.
    > As I've been using AMD since the first Athlons came out, I'm confused by
    > the various chipsets offered.
    >
    > Basically, what should I be looking for (chipset or specific board)? I've
    > been using Asus for the past 5 years, so to narrow it down, is there a
    > recommended Asus board?
    >
    > Thanks!

    nice line up of 965 chipset boards on tomshardware i read few days ago
    the asus was the worst for overclocking (they couldn't understand why
    though)

    i went for abit AB9 pro

    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/11/13/shootout_at_the_core_2_corral_uk/

    slightly old now i suppose
    Geoff, May 9, 2007

  3. Peter van der Goes

    Len Hickman Guest

    > Planning a semi-budget second computer to be based on a Core 2 Duo
    > (probably an E4300).
    > I need ATX, only a single PCI-E X16 slot, no Firewire needed, no onboard
    > video, good BIOS overclocking features, Vista compatible and a reasonable
    > price.
    > As I've been using AMD since the first Athlons came out, I'm confused by
    > the various chipsets offered.
    >
    > Basically, what should I be looking for (chipset or specific board)? I've
    > been using Asus for the past 5 years, so to narrow it down, is there a
    > recommended Asus board?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I run a Asus P5B which uses the 965 chipset.
    800Mhz memory & C2Duo 6600 cpu.
    Using the Asus AI Suite :-
    Set Memory type to 800Mhz
    Set PCIE bus speed to 100Mhz
    Set CPU speed to 354MHz (slowly increased in 5MHz steps from original 266 )
    Result :- 33% Overclock to 3.2Ghz on Stock cooling.
    Idle cpu temp 47C
    Prime95 torture test 60C
    FSX simulator in 'busy' city area 55C

    Not bad for free!
    Only thing to note is that there is only 1 IDE socket with 2 channels for
    standard CDdrives etc.
    Apart from that I've had zero problems since I purchased this machine back
    in Dec '06.

    Len

    --
    Core2 Duo E6600 at 3.2GHz stock cooling, ASUS P5B , 2Gb Corsair 800MHz ram,
    7900GT 256Mb Graphics card, Audigy 4 sound + USB headset for comms, 250Gb
    Len Hickman, May 9, 2007
  4. Peter van der Goes

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Peter van der Goes' wrote, in part:"
    | Planning a semi-budget second computer to be based on a Core 2 Duo
    (probably
    | an E4300).
    | I need ATX, only a single PCI-E X16 slot, no Firewire needed, no onboard
    | video, good BIOS overclocking features, Vista compatible and a reasonable
    | price.
    _____

    Overclocking the E4300 with its lower FSB and higher multiplier ought to be
    dead easy with any decently overclocking friendly motherboard. Admittedly I
    have any expensive EVGA 680i chipset motherboard, but I can run Orthos small
    FFTs loading both CPUs to 100% for hours with the FSB set to 1200 MHz and
    the core voltage dropped to 1.250 v from the stock 1.325 v and using the
    stock Intel boxed retail heatsink/fan (CPU speed = 2.7 GHz). I am still
    working on a higher overclock, but may need better cooling.

    Try to find a motherboard using an Intel 965 chipset and that is certified
    for the soon-to-be-here 1333 MHz FSB CPU's and you ought to get a 50% or
    more overclock. For a 50% overclock with the E4300 you only need PC4200
    DDR2 memory and still set a 1:1 CPU clock : Memory clock ratio. The E4400
    is likely an even better overclocking choice since it has a higher
    multiplier, and thus will gain more CPU speed for each FSB increase compared
    to the E4300.

    I've always liked aBit motherboards, but I don't have a specific
    recommendation.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, May 10, 2007
  5. Peter van der Goes

    Al Brumski Guest

    I'd say the P5B for sure..

    But if you're not in a hurry, the new Intel Bearlake (P35) platforms
    will be available.

    Asus versions are P5K (DDR2) and P5K3 (for soon to be released DDR3
    memory).

    The boards have already surfaced over seas, and are due to be released
    stateside on 6/4.

    Reviews are sparse at this point but will be popping up in the next
    few days.

    Basically, these boards are designed to support the new 45nm
    processors as well as DDR3 memory in the case of the P5K3..

    Good luck with your choice.

    You can't go wrong with P965 though.

    I'm happy with Asus boards, currently I'm running a P5N32-E SLI which
    has the 680i chipset, and 2 PCIEx16 lanes. This is to accomodae 2
    8800gtx's which I'm happy to say are performing very well together but
    are very much bottlenecked with my E6600 @3.7ghz.

    good luck with your choice, in either case I'm sure you'll be happy..

    Al

    Al Brumski, May 10, 2007
  6. Peter van der Goes

    Fishface Guest

    Fishface, May 10, 2007
  7. Peter van der Goes

    007 Guest

    "Fishface" <?> wrote in message

    >> But if you're not in a hurry, the new Intel Bearlake (P35) platforms
    >> will be available.

    > Gigabyte first out the door, but DDR2 only, and *not cheap!*
    > http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=2043107&enterthread=y
    >
    > On a semi-budget, I think I'd go for the Gigabyte DS3 latest revision 3.3.
    > www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012
    > www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA22907&RSKU=BA22907

    Could you recommend P965 board with two PCI Express x16?
    007, May 10, 2007
  8. Peter van der Goes

    Phil Weldon Guest

    '007' wrote:
    | Could you recommend P965 board with two PCI Express x16?
    _____

    Which would allow only ATI display adapters to be used in Cross-fire mode,
    display adapters that are not offered in DX10 capable versions? So why an
    Intel chipped motherboard with two PCI-E x16?

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, May 10, 2007
  9. Peter van der Goes

    007 Guest

    "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    > '007' wrote:
    > | Could you recommend P965 board with two PCI Express x16?
    > _____
    >
    > Which would allow only ATI display adapters to be used in Cross-fire mode,
    > display adapters that are not offered in DX10 capable versions? So why an
    > Intel chipped motherboard with two PCI-E x16?

    To use with 3 monitors utilizing inexpensive video cards in financial
    application.
    007, May 10, 2007
  10. Peter van der Goes

    peter Guest

    The Gigabyte N650SLI DS4 is 139.99 on newegg..........in my humble opinion
    it is a better board than the P965 and it has SLI.
    of course I might be slightly prejudiced because thats what I decided to buy
    2 weeks ago.It installed flawlessly...OC'd easily and does my Video/Audio
    stuff exceptionally quick.
    it worth a look
    peter

    peter, May 11, 2007
  11. "Peter van der Goes" <> wrote in message
    > Planning a semi-budget second computer to be based on a Core 2 Duo
    > (probably an E4300).
    > I need ATX, only a single PCI-E X16 slot, no Firewire needed, no onboard
    > video, good BIOS overclocking features, Vista compatible and a reasonable
    > price.
    > As I've been using AMD since the first Athlons came out, I'm confused by
    > the various chipsets offered.
    >
    > Basically, what should I be looking for (chipset or specific board)? I've
    > been using Asus for the past 5 years, so to narrow it down, is there a
    > recommended Asus board?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Thanks very much to all of you for the information and advice.
    I'm about to order an Asus P5B - Plus and an E6320 CPU.
    A bit more than I'd planned, but the reviews are good...
    Peter van der Goes, May 11, 2007
  12. Peter van der Goes

    007 Guest

    Thanks very much to all of you for the information and advice. I ordered the
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P.
    Probably its a little bit overkill.... but its current technology this
    week....

    007, May 12, 2007
  13. "Peter van der Goes" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter van der Goes" <> wrote in message
    >> Planning a semi-budget second computer to be based on a Core 2 Duo
    >> (probably an E4300).
    >> I need ATX, only a single PCI-E X16 slot, no Firewire needed, no onboard
    >> video, good BIOS overclocking features, Vista compatible and a reasonable
    >> price.
    >> As I've been using AMD since the first Athlons came out, I'm confused by
    >> the various chipsets offered.
    >>
    >> Basically, what should I be looking for (chipset or specific board)? I've
    >> been using Asus for the past 5 years, so to narrow it down, is there a
    >> recommended Asus board?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Thanks very much to all of you for the information and advice.
    > I'm about to order an Asus P5B - Plus and an E6320 CPU.
    > A bit more than I'd planned, but the reviews are good...

    I bought my P965-DS3 and E4300 for about $190 a few weeks ago. I opted for
    the 2MB cache instead of the 4MB because gains were not substantial. ~3Ghz
    dual-core for less than $200? I would have said "you're crazy" 6 months
    ago.

    --
    Phil
    Phil, Non-Squid, May 16, 2007
  14. Peter van der Goes

    Billy Bob Guest

    Where Phil?

    thx

    bob

    Billy Bob, May 18, 2007
  15. Billy Bob wrote:
    > Where Phil?
    >
    > thx
    >
    > bob
    >

    > "> I bought my P965-DS3 and E4300 for about $190 a few weeks ago. I
    > opted for
    >> the 2MB cache instead of the 4MB because gains were not substantial.
    >> ~3Ghz dual-core for less than $200? I would have said "you're
    >> crazy" 6 months ago.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil

    eBay for the DS3 and I think zipzoomfly for the proc. Okay so I was
    cheating by buying a used mobo, but the proc was new...

    --
    Phil
    Phil, Non-Squid, May 18, 2007