Got a used tablet with no OS

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by kidchronic1@hotmail.com, Oct 18, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I just bought a Gateway m275 tablet laptop used online and it didnt
    come with a hard drive. So I put one in there and I currently have
    Windows XP Pro on it. Is there any way to upgrade the XP to XP Tablet?
    I've done some reading and it says I can't. I just want to know if Im
    wasting my time and to just accept that I can't use the "tablet"
    features on the laptop. Thanks.

    1. Advertising

  2. kidchronic1 wrote:
    > I just bought a Gateway m275 tablet laptop used online and it didnt
    > come with a hard drive. So I put one in there and I currently have
    > Windows XP Pro on it. Is there any way to upgrade the XP to XP
    > Tablet? I've done some reading and it says I can't. I just want to
    > know if Im wasting my time and to just accept that I can't use the
    > "tablet" features on the laptop.

    Please reply in newsgroup...

    Is there a product key sticker on the tablet PC?
    If so and you can locate a set of installation CDs for Windows XP Tablet PC
    Edition - you can install the WIndows XP Tablet Edition on the system.

    However - you are not "upgrading" it to the Tablet PC Edition... Windows
    Tablet PC Edition is essentially Windows XP Professional with the addition
    of Tablet features.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

  3. On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:43:55 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:

    >I just bought a Gateway m275 tablet laptop used online and it didnt
    >come with a hard drive. So I put one in there and I currently have
    >Windows XP Pro on it. Is there any way to upgrade the XP to XP Tablet?
    >I've done some reading and it says I can't. I just want to know if Im
    >wasting my time and to just accept that I can't use the "tablet"
    >features on the laptop. Thanks.

    THe easiest thing to try first is to see if Gateway will send you
    recovery CDs or a replacement installation CD. You'll probably have
    to pay a fee, but it's the best way to get that CD and really the only
    legal place to get an OEM replacement CD for the XP Tablet OS.

    --
    Cheers,
    Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

  4. Shenan Stanley wrote:

    >> I just bought a Gateway m275 tablet laptop used online and it didnt
    >> come with a hard drive. So I put one in there and I currently have
    >> Windows XP Pro on it. Is there any way to upgrade the XP to XP
    >> Tablet? I've done some reading and it says I can't. I just want to
    >> know if Im wasting my time and to just accept that I can't use the
    >> "tablet" features on the laptop.

    > Is there a product key sticker on the tablet PC?
    > If so and you can locate a set of installation CDs for Windows XP
    > Tablet PC Edition - you can install the WIndows XP Tablet Edition
    > on the system.

    The question would be: "How and where to find the proper CDs?"
    The TabletPC edition never was sold as an OS separately. It only came in
    OEM-Versions which were delivered with the computer, many of them
    customized by the TabletPC manufacturers.

    Rainald

  5. wrote:

    > I just bought a Gateway m275 tablet laptop used online and it didnt
    > come with a hard drive. So I put one in there and I currently have
    > Windows XP Pro on it. Is there any way to upgrade the XP to XP
    > Tablet?

    No, there is no way to "upgrade".
    You'd need the TabletPC version of XP and then apply SP2 (which is
    essential for TabletPCs) and SP3.

    > I've done some reading and it says I can't.

    As said, no "upgrade".
    You should contact Gateway and ask whether they still have TabletPC
    edition of XP CDs available.
    The licence would be no problem as each and any TabletPC came from the
    factory with a licence, so yours has one.

    > I just want to know if Im wasting my time and to just accept
    > that I can't use the "tablet" features on the laptop.

    No don't accept that. It just means losing far too much.

    Another possibility might be to try if you can install form a XP *SP2*
    CD.
    We had quite some reports in the German newsgroups and in here as well,
    where it was possible to install form a retail CD.
    The XP SP2 CDs contain the TabletPC components (contrary to the original
    CDs) and so the full set can be installed.
    Problem however: The key on the sticker of the computer may not fit. In
    so far the reports in the newsgroups brought different results. It
    worked in quite some cases, not in others (so f.e. in the thread just
    prior to yours).

    Finally you might buy a OEM version of XP TabletPC edition from Newegg.
    We had some discussions in here on whether what Newegg does is legally
    OK. But you shouldn't really care.
    Look here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837102094

    HTH