    Any opinion?

    Thanks,
    Martin

    Martin Groepl, Nov 29, 2004

  2. That doesn't sound good.
    My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.

    regards,
    Marcel

    Marcel Overweel, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Martin Groepl

    BigVoice Guest

    Mine is an Inno3D 6800GT. After I ran 3DMark05 for 10 times then I
    started Nvidia's driver page (ver 66.93) which showed the GPU temp was
    about 75 C while the ambient temp is about 52 C.

    BigVoice

    BigVoice, Nov 29, 2004

    Richard Dower, Nov 29, 2004
  5. "Marcel Overweel" <> wrote in message
    > That doesn't sound good.
    > My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.

    Mine runs 44C idle.

    Richard Dower, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Martin Groepl

    Dan Guest

    My advice would be play a game for a while. If it freezes the card is
    probably overheating. If not, then It'll be fine. Passively cooled cards are
    going to run hotter than ones that are not.

    Dan

    Dan, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Martin Groepl

    Ar Q Guest

    "Martin Groepl" <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
    > GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
    > The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
    > is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
    > Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
    > I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
    > again: 86°C,186°F.
    > I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.

    Sounds OK to me. Mine is 80C idle, 93C playing game. I only have one case
    fan tho.

    Ar Q, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Martin Groepl

    Ed Light Guest

    You could get that Zalman kit with a bracket and quiet fan that blows down
    on the card. They say to use it with their own passive cooling when
    installed on the more powerful cards.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Nov 30, 2004
  9. Martin Groepl

    RaceFace Guest

    > Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
    > GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
    > The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2 is
    > 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
    > Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
    > I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
    > again: 86°C,186°F.
    > I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
    > I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this is
    > ok.
    >
    > What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?
    >
    > The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
    > CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
    >
    > Any opinion?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Martin

    Far too high for idle. Mine is about 57C at idle, and 75C under full load
    for a while.

    Seems odd that it's getting so hot, if your case temp is kept at a
    reasonable amount.

    The 6800 has passive cooling only? No fan? That seems.. wrong.. for a 6800
    unless it's a high end cooler or something.

    RaceFace, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Martin Groepl

    Ronald Guest

    Martin Groepl wrote:
    > Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
    > GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
    > The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
    > is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
    > Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
    > I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
    > again: 86°C,186°F.
    > I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
    > I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
    > is ok.
    >
    > What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
    > limit"?
    > The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler
    > (Zalman CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.

    In reaction to your last remark: my Ti4200 actually gets hotter by the
    airflow of my CPU cooler.
    To compare: with both CPU and GPU as idle as possible and GPU fan at full
    speed.
    1. CPU fan near stall speed (7-800 rpm), CPU temp 44C, GPU temp 44-45C, MB
    temp 25C
    2. CPU fan full speed (3700 rpm), CPU temp 42C, GPU temp 50-51C, MB temp 25C
    Thats an extra 6C on the videocard due to the CPU fan.
    Try reducing the rpm's on your CPU cooler if you can and see what the temp
    on the videocard does.
    A friend of mine has a case with somesort of 'chimney' which takes the
    airflow of the CPU cooler directly out of the case through a perforation in
    the side of the case.

    regards, Ronald

    Ronald, Nov 30, 2004
  11. Martin Groepl

    CapFusion Guest

    "RaceFace" <> wrote in message

    > "Martin Groepl" <> wrote in message
    >> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
    >> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
    >> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2 is
    >> 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
    >> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
    >> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
    >> again: 86°C,186°F.
    >> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
    >> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this is
    >> ok.
    >>
    >> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
    >> limit"?
    >>
    >> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
    >> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
    >>
    >> Any opinion?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Martin

    > Far too high for idle. Mine is about 57C at idle, and 75C under full load
    > for a while.
    >
    > Seems odd that it's getting so hot, if your case temp is kept at a
    > reasonable amount.
    >
    > The 6800 has passive cooling only? No fan? That seems.. wrong.. for a
    > 6800 unless it's a high end cooler or something.

    It should have a Fan with HeatSink.

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion, Nov 30, 2004
  12. On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:17:31 GMT, "Ar Q"
    <> wrote:

    >"Martin Groepl" <> wrote in message
    >> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
    >> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
    >> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
    >> is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
    >> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
    >> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
    >> again: 86°C,186°F.
    >> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.

    >Sounds OK to me. Mine is 80C idle, 93C playing game. I only have one case
    >fan tho.

    sounds ok for me, especially that it is a completely passive
    cooled card.

    make sure you have no obstructions in your case and a clean
    Airflow.

    I also ordered this card, and want it badly, but here in
    germany everything takes a little while longer!

    waaahhhh

    Georg
    Germany

    Georg Schwarz, Dec 3, 2004
  13. Martin Groepl

    Luc Monod Guest

    "Georg Schwarz" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:17:31 GMT, "Ar Q"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Martin Groepl" <> wrote in message
    > >> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
    > >> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
    > >> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
    > >> is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
    > >> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
    > >> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
    > >> again: 86°C,186°F.
    > >> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.

    > >Sounds OK to me. Mine is 80C idle, 93C playing game. I only have one case
    > >fan tho.
    > >

    > sounds ok for me, especially that it is a completely passive
    > cooled card.
    >
    > make sure you have no obstructions in your case and a clean
    > Airflow.
    >
    > I also ordered this card, and want it badly, but here in
    > germany everything takes a little while longer!
    >
    > waaahhhh
    >
    > Georg
    > Germany

    I've got an old POS computer, I ended up OC'ing my video card quite a bit
    using Powerstrip (with program hooks, only over clocks when I run certain
    programs).

    I ended up setting up a bracket on the inside to mount a 4in power supply
    fan on the inside, I also drilled open quite a bit of the tower in the regon
    of the fan to get some more circulation.

    Being a smoker and owning a cat, I clean up most of the mobo, cards etc.
    with a vacuum (don't use compressed air, you're just moving grit around to
    places you can't clean) and a can of contact cleaner (or find some alcohol
    that is safe for electronics).

    Luc Monod, Dec 3, 2004
  14. Martin Groepl

    dvus Guest

    Luc Monod wrote:

    [snip]
    > Being a smoker and owning a cat, I clean up most of the mobo, cards
    > etc. with a vacuum (don't use compressed air, you're just moving grit
    > around to places you can't clean) and a can of contact cleaner (or
    > find some alcohol that is safe for electronics).

    You wanna be careful with that contact cleaner around your PC. It will
    attack certain types of plastic, turning some of them to mush. Also, it will
    immediately chill whatever it's sprayed on due to pressure change and rapid
    evaporation and the resultant localized contraction of parts can crack some
    things wide open.

    dvus

    dvus, Dec 3, 2004
  15. Martin Groepl

    Luc Monod Guest

    "dvus" <> wrote in message
    > Luc Monod wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > > Being a smoker and owning a cat, I clean up most of the mobo, cards
    > > etc. with a vacuum (don't use compressed air, you're just moving grit
    > > around to places you can't clean) and a can of contact cleaner (or
    > > find some alcohol that is safe for electronics).

    > You wanna be careful with that contact cleaner around your PC. It will
    > attack certain types of plastic, turning some of them to mush. Also, it

    will
    > immediately chill whatever it's sprayed on due to pressure change and

    rapid
    > evaporation and the resultant localized contraction of parts can crack

    some
    > things wide open.
    >
    > dvus

    Good point!

    That's why at an old job of mine I would bring my tower into work, take it
    apart and dunk in into a large PCB cleaning vat of alcohol.
    But my guess is not many ppl have access to that :)

    Luc Monod, Dec 6, 2004