Grrr tech support

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Jul 28, 2012.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Idiot dell phone tech rep

    Latitude 6400 crashes once every two weeks

    Diagnostics find ram error, very intermittent.

    I say send me two new mem chips and i'll send back
    the old ones. If it fixes it, then it's good.

    If not, it needs a new motherboard.

    Let's try the cheap and easy thing first.

    Lady doesn't want to send two. She wants to find
    the bad one and only send one.

    I argue that you can't tell which it is unless it
    fails and that may take weeks.

    She insists on finding the one.

    Look, it's cheap, sent both. You can't diagnose
    which the way it's failing.

    On hold at the moment...

    Ron Hardin, Jul 28, 2012

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:

    > Idiot dell phone tech rep
    >
    > Latitude 6400 crashes once every two weeks
    >
    > Diagnostics find ram error, very intermittent.
    >
    > I say send me two new mem chips and i'll send back
    > the old ones. If it fixes it, then it's good.
    >
    > If not, it needs a new motherboard.
    >
    > Let's try the cheap and easy thing first.
    >
    > Lady doesn't want to send two. She wants to find
    > the bad one and only send one.
    >
    > I argue that you can't tell which it is unless it
    > fails and that may take weeks.
    >
    > She insists on finding the one.
    >
    > Look, it's cheap, sent both. You can't diagnose
    > which the way it's failing.
    >
    > On hold at the moment...
    > --
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    Did I mention that she suggested reinstalling
    windows.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 28, 2012

  3. Ron Hardin

    who where Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:15:18 -0400, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >Ron Hardin wrote:
    >>
    >> Idiot dell phone tech rep
    >>
    >> Latitude 6400 crashes once every two weeks
    >>
    >> Diagnostics find ram error, very intermittent.
    >>
    >> I say send me two new mem chips and i'll send back
    >> the old ones. If it fixes it, then it's good.
    >>
    >> If not, it needs a new motherboard.
    >>
    >> Let's try the cheap and easy thing first.
    >>
    >> Lady doesn't want to send two. She wants to find
    >> the bad one and only send one.
    >>
    >> I argue that you can't tell which it is unless it
    >> fails and that may take weeks.
    >>
    >> She insists on finding the one.
    >>
    >> Look, it's cheap, sent both. You can't diagnose
    >> which the way it's failing.
    >>
    >> On hold at the moment...
    >> --
    >>

    >> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    >Did I mention that she suggested reinstalling
    >windows.

    You didn't, but I'm sure she did. It is high up on their script-list
    of things to do/try, just below reboot.

    who where, Jul 29, 2012
  4. Ron Hardin

    RnR Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:41:38 +0800, who where <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:15:18 -0400, Ron Hardin
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Ron Hardin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Idiot dell phone tech rep
    >>>
    >>> Latitude 6400 crashes once every two weeks
    >>>
    >>> Diagnostics find ram error, very intermittent.
    >>>
    >>> I say send me two new mem chips and i'll send back
    >>> the old ones. If it fixes it, then it's good.
    >>>
    >>> If not, it needs a new motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> Let's try the cheap and easy thing first.
    >>>
    >>> Lady doesn't want to send two. She wants to find
    >>> the bad one and only send one.
    >>>
    >>> I argue that you can't tell which it is unless it
    >>> fails and that may take weeks.
    >>>
    >>> She insists on finding the one.
    >>>
    >>> Look, it's cheap, sent both. You can't diagnose
    >>> which the way it's failing.
    >>>
    >>> On hold at the moment...
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    >>Did I mention that she suggested reinstalling
    >>windows.

    >You didn't, but I'm sure she did. It is high up on their script-list
    >of things to do/try, just below reboot.

    A long time ago when I was still inexperienced with computers I called
    for tech support and while they fixed one problem, they introduced
    another problem. When I told them what they did to me, they said
    ohhh. I learned my lesson the hard way to not bother to call them. I
    won't bother nowadays because the stress they cause me isn't worth it
    and simply put, I don't trust them.

    RnR, Jul 29, 2012
  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > A long time ago when I was still inexperienced with computers I called
    > for tech support and while they fixed one problem, they introduced
    > another problem. When I told them what they did to me, they said
    > ohhh. I learned my lesson the hard way to not bother to call them. I
    > won't bother nowadays because the stress they cause me isn't worth it
    > and simply put, I don't trust them.

    If it's in warranty, you have to call them.

    The chat option doesn't seem to work anymore. It's there but nothing happens.
    May be a Firefox problem though.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 29, 2012
  6. Ron Hardin

    RnR Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 07:05:43 -0400, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >RnR wrote:
    >> A long time ago when I was still inexperienced with computers I called
    >> for tech support and while they fixed one problem, they introduced
    >> another problem. When I told them what they did to me, they said
    >> ohhh. I learned my lesson the hard way to not bother to call them. I
    >> won't bother nowadays because the stress they cause me isn't worth it
    >> and simply put, I don't trust them.

    >If it's in warranty, you have to call them.

    Depends. I may just ignor the warrantee and pay myself. I have done
    this already. Like I said, the stress of dealing with them isn't
    worth it to me.

    RnR, Jul 29, 2012
  7. Ron Hardin

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:15:18 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:

    > Did I mention that she suggested reinstalling
    >
    > windows.
    >
    > --
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    I called them once in 4 new purchases. (2 home, 2 business) It was a touch-pad issue on a 1545. India had me re-install the driver and that didn't help. They sent me the entire bezel and received it the next day. They called in a couple of days to ask how things went!

    Bob_Villa, Jul 29, 2012
  8. Ron Hardin

    Larry Guest

    On Jul 29, 7:16 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 07:05:43 -0400, Ron Hardin
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >RnR wrote:
    > >> A long time ago when I was still inexperienced with computers I called
    > >> for tech support and while they fixed one problem, they introduced
    > >> another problem.  When I told them what they did to me, they said
    > >> ohhh.   I learned my lesson the hard way to not bother to call them.I
    > >> won't bother nowadays because the stress they cause me isn't worth it
    > >> and simply put, I don't trust them.

    > >If it's in warranty, you have to call them.

    > Depends.  I may just ignor the warrantee and pay myself.  I have done
    > this already.  Like I said, the stress of dealing with them isn't
    > worth it to me.

    Exactly! I am lucky to have a local shop that sells and repairs dell
    equipment. If under warranty I take it to them to make the contact
    with dell tech support and follow through. Even they sometimes have
    problems getting through. But they call and arrange for the repair
    since they can not themselves work on equipment under warranty for
    some strange reason. They collect a minimum of $85 for this service,
    but I feel it is worth it.

    Larry

    Larry, Jul 29, 2012
  9. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Bob_Villa wrote:
    > I called them once in 4 new purchases. (2 home, 2 business) It was a touch-pad issue on a 1545.

    India had me re-install the driver and that
    didn't help. They sent me the entire bezel and
    received it the next day. They called in a couple
    of days to ask how things went!

    Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not.

    My experience is that chat (when it works) gives
    you better odds of finding intelligence.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 29, 2012
  10. Ron Hardin

    Roger Vicker Guest

    On 7/29/2012 6:05 AM, Ron Hardin arranged the binary bits such that:

    > The chat option doesn't seem to work anymore. It's there but nothing happens.
    > May be a Firefox problem though.

    Just used chat last week with Firefox 14. Smooth and quicker than
    waiting on a phone line.

    Roger Vicker, Jul 30, 2012
  11. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Roger Vicker wrote:

    > On 7/29/2012 6:05 AM, Ron Hardin arranged the binary bits such that:
    > >
    > > The chat option doesn't seem to work anymore. It's there but nothing happens.
    > > May be a Firefox problem though.
    > >

    > Just used chat last week with Firefox 14. Smooth and quicker than
    > waiting on a phone line.

    Chat still doesn't work on my Firefox (latest edition), perhaps some addon is wrong.
    There's no clue.

    It works on IE8 on another machine but not on this machine.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 30, 2012
  12. Ron Hardin

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:14:26 PM UTC-4, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Idiot dell phone tech rep
    >

    > Latitude 6400 crashes once every two weeks
    >

    > Diagnostics find ram error, very intermittent.
    >

    > I say send me two new mem chips and i'll send back
    >
    > the old ones. If it fixes it, then it's good.
    >

    > If not, it needs a new motherboard.
    >

    > Let's try the cheap and easy thing first.
    >

    > Lady doesn't want to send two. She wants to find
    >
    > the bad one and only send one.
    >

    > I argue that you can't tell which it is unless it
    >
    > fails and that may take weeks.
    >

    > She insists on finding the one.
    >

    > Look, it's cheap, sent both. You can't diagnose
    >
    > which the way it's failing.
    >

    > On hold at the moment...
    >
    > --
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    Download MEMTEST-86+ and run overnight. It's a pretty stringent memory tester and might well uncover which of the memory modules are hosed.

    Get Dell to send out one. Install it, replacing one SODIMM. Run MEMTEST-86+. Now repeat with the other SODIMM... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 1, 2012