GT 520 two versions?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Allen Drake, Dec 18, 2011.

  1. Allen Drake

    Allen Drake Guest

    First time posting here but I have been using nVIDIA cards in all my
    systems for some time now. I just received a pair of GT 520 cards from
    different vendors and got two different versions. One has Dual-Link
    DVI-I HDCP capable Connector and HDMI 1.4a Connector and the other
    has One Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP capable Connector, One Single-Link DVI-I
    HDCP capable Connector and Mini-HDMI 1.4 Connector. I haven't opened
    the boxes yet but there looks like a different type of DVI plug and
    both look like they have Mini HDMI. Can anyone please explain these
    different plugs and why there are two versions of the same card? What
    would the user do with one where he wouldn't need the other?

    Is there a link to an explanation of the different DVI connectors?
    One looks like a VGA but it doesn't say so.

    AL.

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3F9XO/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship

    Allen Drake, Dec 18, 2011

  2. Allen Drake

    KCB Guest

    "Allen Drake" <> wrote in message

    > First time posting here but I have been using nVIDIA cards in all my
    > systems for some time now. I just received a pair of GT 520 cards from
    > different vendors and got two different versions. One has Dual-Link
    > DVI-I HDCP capable Connector and HDMI 1.4a Connector and the other
    > has One Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP capable Connector, One Single-Link DVI-I
    > HDCP capable Connector and Mini-HDMI 1.4 Connector. I haven't opened
    > the boxes yet but there looks like a different type of DVI plug and
    > both look like they have Mini HDMI. Can anyone please explain these
    > different plugs and why there are two versions of the same card? What
    > would the user do with one where he wouldn't need the other?
    >
    > Is there a link to an explanation of the different DVI connectors?
    > One looks like a VGA but it doesn't say so.
    >

    > AL.
    >

    > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3F9XO/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship

    The one from Amazon appears to have a VGA port, while the other probably has
    an adapter included for DVI to VGA. I can't remember the last time I got a
    card that didn't have it included. As far as the cards being different,
    it's because you bought two (slightly) different models. The Amazon model
    which matches your TigerDirect model is available here:
    http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphics-01G-P3-1526-KR/dp/B00549HZ7S/ref=pd_cp_e_2
    Notice the part numbers on the cards you bought "1521" "1526"

    Info on DVI specs available here:
    http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

    KCB, Dec 19, 2011

  3. Allen Drake

    Allen Drake Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:26:08 -0500, "KCB" <>
    wrote:

    >"Allen Drake" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> First time posting here but I have been using nVIDIA cards in all my
    >> systems for some time now. I just received a pair of GT 520 cards from
    >> different vendors and got two different versions. One has Dual-Link
    >> DVI-I HDCP capable Connector and HDMI 1.4a Connector and the other
    >> has One Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP capable Connector, One Single-Link DVI-I
    >> HDCP capable Connector and Mini-HDMI 1.4 Connector. I haven't opened
    >> the boxes yet but there looks like a different type of DVI plug and
    >> both look like they have Mini HDMI. Can anyone please explain these
    >> different plugs and why there are two versions of the same card? What
    >> would the user do with one where he wouldn't need the other?
    >>
    >> Is there a link to an explanation of the different DVI connectors?
    >> One looks like a VGA but it doesn't say so.
    >>

    >> AL.
    >>

    >> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W3F9XO/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1
    >>
    >> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...mc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03SHIP-_-03ship

    >The one from Amazon appears to have a VGA port, while the other probably has
    >an adapter included for DVI to VGA. I can't remember the last time I got a
    >card that didn't have it included. As far as the cards being different,
    >it's because you bought two (slightly) different models. The Amazon model
    >which matches your TigerDirect model is available here:
    >http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphics-01G-P3-1526-KR/dp/B00549HZ7S/ref=pd_cp_e_2
    >Notice the part numbers on the cards you bought "1521" "1526"
    >
    >Info on DVI specs available here:
    >http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

    Thank you very much KCB that was exactly the info I wanted. I was
    just wondering why the difference and what would one consumer decide
    to select one over the other. I guess it would simply be because one
    might want to use a monitor that has no DVI unless I am missing
    something. I appreciate the link to the technical info.

    Regards.

    Al.

    Allen Drake, Dec 20, 2011