    replacement. anyone have any suggestions for a good/simple replacement
    fan or heatsink w/fan?

    Thanks for any help.
    SadMouse, Oct 15, 2010

  2. SadMouse

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 10/15/2010 6:41 PM, SC Tom wrote:

    > "SadMouse" <> wrote in message
    >> At first I thought it was the case fan, but after opening the case,
    >> I've narrowed it down to the heatsink fan. I can't find the dimensions
    >> anywhere. Not listed in the specs. It's a socket LGA775 Intel 945G,
    >> Core 2 Duo -- . Active heatsink PN# 8016097ravc It has a 4 pin
    >> connector. I have nothing here at the office to measure mm. Is it
    >> 80mm? 90? 95? Doesn't really look like a 120mm.
    >>
    >> I need to know the dimensions so I can find a (simple and easy)
    >> replacement. anyone have any suggestions for a good/simple replacement
    >> fan or heatsink w/fan?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    > Measure it in inches-
    > mm = in.
    > 80 ~ 3-5/32 (3.15)
    > 90 ~ 3-17/32 (3.54)
    > 95 ~ 3-23/32 (3.74)
    >
    > Check any of the electronics houses such as Newegg.com for heatsinks
    > designed for Intel LGA775 socketed motherboards.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=100008000 600035327&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA 775

    Also, be careful which type of heat sink/fan you buy. I doubt that
    Gateway uses a standard Intel one. These are a real pain-in-the-ass to
    install.

    Consistent with older Gateway models, you will probably find a 3rd party
    heat sink/fan, and it probably attaches with some sort of clips to a
    mounting bracket on the motherboard. If you can match the make and
    model with a replacement, that is best. But there are probably other
    alternatives available... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Oct 16, 2010

  3. SadMouse

    SadMouse Guest

    On Oct 15, 6:33 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 10/15/2010 6:41 PM, SC Tom wrote:
    >

    > > "SadMouse" <> wrote in message
    > >> At first I thought it was the case fan, but after opening the case,
    > >> I've narrowed it down to the heatsink fan. I can't find the dimensions
    > >> anywhere. Not listed in the specs. It's a socket LGA775 Intel 945G,
    > >> Core 2 Duo -- . Active heatsink PN# 8016097ravc It has a 4 pin
    > >> connector. I have nothing here at the office to measure mm. Is it
    > >> 80mm? 90? 95? Doesn't really look like a 120mm.

    > >> I need to know the dimensions so I can find a (simple and easy)
    > >> replacement. anyone have any suggestions for a good/simple replacement
    > >> fan or heatsink w/fan?

    > >> Thanks for any help.

    > > Measure it in inches-
    > > mm = in.
    > > 80 ~ 3-5/32 (3.15)
    > > 90 ~ 3-17/32 (3.54)
    > > 95 ~ 3-23/32 (3.74)

    > > Check any of the electronics houses such as Newegg.com for heatsinks
    > > designed for Intel LGA775 socketed motherboards.

    > >http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008000...

    > Also, be careful which type of heat sink/fan you buy.  I doubt that
    > Gateway uses a standard Intel one.  These are a real pain-in-the-ass to
    > install.
    >
    > Consistent with older Gateway models, you will probably find a 3rd party
    > heat sink/fan, and it probably attaches with some sort of clips to a
    > mounting bracket on the motherboard.  If you can match the make and
    > model with a replacement, that is best.  But there are probably other
    > alternatives available... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you both. I'd forgotten about simply converting inches to mm
    while at work (phone ringing, customers coming in, the boss needing
    this or that done, the office cat walking thru the open computer case,
    etc... LOL). And after looking at this heatsink more closely, and also
    looking at what's available from online vendors, it will be much
    easier to buy a new old stock replacement heatsink w/fan.

    I know just enough about computers to be dangerous, and I don't feel
    comfortable having to install something that installs differently
    (clips and such) or might otherwise need modifications to get it all
    up and running smoothly.

    Thank you again.
    SadMouse, Oct 16, 2010