    Thanks.

    --
    Steve W.
    Steve W., Feb 12, 2011

  2. Steve W.

    Justin Guest

    In article <ij50cq$57s$>,
    "Steve W." <> wrote:

    > Just picked this thing up and started working on it. Easy to work on BUT
    > the HD is driving me NUTS. The slide in brackets don't seem to hold it
    > real solid and it is causing a low audible buzz from the HD vibration.
    >
    > Anyone have a problem like this?
    > Suggestions for making it quiet?
    >
    > If I pull the HD out and set it on a pillow the rest of the machine is
    > QUIET, even though the main fan looks like a turbine from a jet...
    >
    > With it running in a quiet room the sound is about like transformer hum,
    > not super loud but I like things even quieter if possible.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I wonder if the hard drive's bearing is starting to wear out.

    How about running with the case off, and while the drive is running try
    putting your hand on it, stopping the vibration and confirming that is
    what is causing the noise.
    Justin, Feb 12, 2011

  3. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > In article <ij50cq$57s$>,
    > "Steve W." <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just picked this thing up and started working on it. Easy to work on BUT
    >> the HD is driving me NUTS. The slide in brackets don't seem to hold it
    >> real solid and it is causing a low audible buzz from the HD vibration.
    >>
    >> Anyone have a problem like this?
    >> Suggestions for making it quiet?
    >>
    >> If I pull the HD out and set it on a pillow the rest of the machine is
    >> QUIET, even though the main fan looks like a turbine from a jet...
    >>
    >> With it running in a quiet room the sound is about like transformer hum,
    >> not super loud but I like things even quieter if possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I wonder if the hard drive's bearing is starting to wear out.
    >
    > How about running with the case off, and while the drive is running try
    > putting your hand on it, stopping the vibration and confirming that is
    > what is causing the noise.

    It's definitely the drive. It's a brand new drive. WD Caviar 500 GB
    The vibration is about normal compared to the drives I have around, Not
    a lot but if you hold the drive you can feel it. The problem seems to be
    that the snap in brackets are not real tight and allow it to vibrate
    just enough that it causes a buzz. This gets transferred to the side
    panel which acts like a speaker, I put a couple small O rings on the
    posts that go in the HD mount holes and it's a LOT better.

    --
    Steve W.
    (\___/)
    Steve W., Feb 12, 2011
  4. Steve W.

    Justin Guest

    In article <ij76s2$f6i$>,
    "Steve W." <> wrote:

    > Justin wrote:
    > > In article <ij50cq$57s$>,
    > > "Steve W." <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Just picked this thing up and started working on it. Easy to work on BUT
    > >> the HD is driving me NUTS. The slide in brackets don't seem to hold it
    > >> real solid and it is causing a low audible buzz from the HD vibration.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone have a problem like this?
    > >> Suggestions for making it quiet?
    > >>
    > >> If I pull the HD out and set it on a pillow the rest of the machine is
    > >> QUIET, even though the main fan looks like a turbine from a jet...
    > >>
    > >> With it running in a quiet room the sound is about like transformer hum,
    > >> not super loud but I like things even quieter if possible.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.

    > > I wonder if the hard drive's bearing is starting to wear out.
    > >
    > > How about running with the case off, and while the drive is running try
    > > putting your hand on it, stopping the vibration and confirming that is
    > > what is causing the noise.

    > It's definitely the drive. It's a brand new drive. WD Caviar 500 GB
    > The vibration is about normal compared to the drives I have around, Not
    > a lot but if you hold the drive you can feel it. The problem seems to be
    > that the snap in brackets are not real tight and allow it to vibrate
    > just enough that it causes a buzz. This gets transferred to the side
    > panel which acts like a speaker, I put a couple small O rings on the
    > posts that go in the HD mount holes and it's a LOT better.

    that was going to be my next suggestion - some sort of material shoved
    in there to keep it from hitting the sides.
    Justin, Feb 13, 2011