Hanging after-market fan off of a 4870

Discussion in 'ATI' started by BD, Feb 17, 2009.

  1. BD

    BD Guest

    Hi, all.

    I have an ASUS EAH4870 Deluxe.

    The fan on this card is louder than I'd like when the card starts to
    work.

    So I've decided to replace the cooler with a Thermalright T-RAD2
    cooler, and 2 Zalman ZM-F2 92mm fans. The box of bits just showed up.

    What I would like to understand is whether there is any *safe* way to
    plug two aftermarket fans onto the power plug on the card, to put the
    fans under speed control by the card. Is that just a bad idea? If it's
    reasonable, how would the fans be plugged in? Series? Parallel? I have
    a variety of connectors which would make either orientation possible.

    One alternative would be to simply hang the fans off the computer's
    PSU and (optionally) use a manual speed control on the front of the
    case.

    Maybe the *best* idea would be to plug the fan which would actually
    sit overtop of the GPU into the card, so it is speed-controlled by the
    card, and hang the other fan off the PSU of the computer and just
    leave it running at a static speed.

    Feedback appreciated.

    Thanks!

    BD