Happy 25th birthday

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. Michelle Steiner, Jun 7, 2012

  2. Michelle Steiner

    nospam Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > Macintosh II.
    >
    > <http://www.macworld.com/article/1167123/the_macintosh_ii_celebrates_its_25th_anniversary.html>

    they're 3 months late. the macintosh ii was introduced march 2, 1987,
    alongside the mac se.

    however, mac ii did not ship right away but i don't recall it being as
    late as june. i remember using one in may, 1987.

    this link says system 4.1 shipped in april 1987, which was the system
    the mac ii needed, which is consistent with it shipping before june.

    <http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections/os.html>

    nospam, Jun 8, 2012

  3. Michelle Steiner, Jun 8, 2012
  4. Michelle Steiner

    isw Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > Macintosh II.
    >
    > <http://www.macworld.com/article/1167123/the_macintosh_ii_celebrates_its_25t
    > h_anniversary.html>

    First Mac I actually had on my desk. I recall that the memory had to be
    upgraded from 2 to 4 megabytes to run the engineering packages I needed,
    and it cost the company a bit north of a grand.

    Anybody else remember "Colony", from that era?

    Isaac

    isw, Jun 8, 2012
  5. Michelle Steiner

    nospam Guest

    In article <isw-23624A.22032107062012@[216.168.3.50]>, isw
    <> wrote:

    > First Mac I actually had on my desk. I recall that the memory had to be
    > upgraded from 2 to 4 megabytes to run the engineering packages I needed,
    > and it cost the company a bit north of a grand.

    i upgraded mine from 2 meg to 5 meg (1+1 -> 1+4) with four 1 meg simms,
    each of which was $200, for a total of $800. that was cheaper than it
    had been for a while. the mac ii had 8 simm slots, and the existing
    256k simms (for the other 1 meg) remained in the other four slots.

    nospam, Jun 8, 2012
  6. Leonard Blaisdell, Jun 9, 2012
  7. In article <>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > I never used a Mac II, although I did use an SE. I always follow your
    > links Michelle. You dig up stuff I wouldn't think to search for, and I
    > always appreciate it. Thank you.

    *blush* Thank you. But I don't dig them up; I stumble across them. <g>

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 9, 2012
  8. Michelle Steiner

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2012-06-07 21:18:32 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:

    > Macintosh II.
    >
    > <http://www.macworld.com/article/1167123/the_macintosh_ii_celebrates_its_25t
    > h_anniversary.html>

    I bought a Mac II when they first came out and it was my primary
    computer for several years. What was a major attraction to me was the
    color display. I can't remember what I paid for it and what I sold it
    for.

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

    TaliesinSoft, Jun 9, 2012
  9. In article <>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >
    > > Macintosh II.
    > >
    > > <http://www.macworld.com/article/1167123/the_macintosh_ii_celebrates_its_25t
    > > h_anniversary.html>

    > I never used a Mac II, although I did use an SE. I always follow your
    > links Michelle. You dig up stuff I wouldn't think to search for, and I
    > always appreciate it. Thank you.
    >
    > leo

    I had a Mac II at home and a Mac IIfx on my desk at Apple. And the guys
    in my group had t-shirts that said "My other computer is a Cray-XMP"
    (the Mac II's case was designed and the plastic case was modeled on a
    Cray).

    Curiously, the Cray development team had t-shirts that said "My other
    computer is a Macintosh". They used Macs to design the next generation
    of Cray supercomputers.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 9, 2012
  10. In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > I had a Mac II at home and a Mac IIfx on my desk at Apple. And the guys
    > in my group had t-shirts that said "My other computer is a Cray-XMP"
    > (the Mac II's case was designed and the plastic case was modeled on a
    > Cray).

    I was contracting at Apple when they bought their first Cray; they briefed
    us that it was going to be used for plastic modeling for computer housing.
    And emphasized that that information was company confidential, and should
    not be repeated outside the company to anyone, including family members.

    I remember seeing that tee shirt.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 9, 2012
  11. Michelle Steiner

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    >I was contracting at Apple when they bought their first Cray; they briefed
    >us that it was going to be used for plastic modeling for computer housing.
    >And emphasized that that information was company confidential, and should
    >not be repeated outside the company to anyone, including family members.

    If that was the one at the end of the blacklighted hallway in the
    Valley Green building, it wasn't much of a secret, because you could
    see it from the lobby. :)

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jun 9, 2012
  12. Michelle Steiner

    DanS Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > Macintosh II.
    >
    > <http://www.macworld.com/article/1167123/the_macintosh_ii_celebrates_its_25t
    > h_anniversary.html>

    My second Mac was a Mac IIx (after the Mac Plus). I traded in the Mac
    Plus and it still cost $6000+!! I still have it and it runs with System
    7 and I also can boot up A/UX on it. Quite a workhorse.

    DanS, Jun 10, 2012