    setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

    Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
    computer?
    JD Francis, Nov 3, 2008

  2. JD Francis

    Ben Myers Guest

    JD Francis wrote:
    > I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
    > Deskstar T7K250. When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
    > run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
    > the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way. When I
    > connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
    > setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.
    >
    > Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
    > computer?

    You purchased a used drive if it already had partitions on it. Wipe the
    hard drive clean with CopyWipe (free), and try again. The existing
    partitions are causing some confusion... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Nov 3, 2008

  3. JD Francis

    JD Francis Guest

    On Nov 3, 1:19 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > JD Francis wrote:
    > > I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
    > > Deskstar T7K250.  When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
    > > run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
    > > the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way.  When I
    > > connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
    > > setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

    > > Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
    > > computer?

    > You purchased a used drive if it already had partitions on it.  Wipe the
    > hard drive clean with CopyWipe (free), and try again.  The existing
    > partitions are causing some confusion... Ben Myers

    I already completely wiped it with the manufacturer's disk utility
    program, but this made no difference to the Windows XP Professional
    CD. I should probably add, that using a Windows XP Home CD, I am able
    to install the operating system on the NTFS partition, which it
    recognises, with no problems.
    JD Francis, Nov 9, 2008
  4. JD Francis

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JD Francis" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 3, 1:19 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > JD Francis wrote:
    > > I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
    > > Deskstar T7K250. When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
    > > run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
    > > the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way. When I
    > > connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
    > > setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

    > > Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
    > > computer?

    > You purchased a used drive if it already had partitions on it. Wipe the
    > hard drive clean with CopyWipe (free), and try again. The existing
    > partitions are causing some confusion... Ben Myers

    I already completely wiped it with the manufacturer's disk utility
    program, but this made no difference to the Windows XP Professional
    CD. I should probably add, that using a Windows XP Home CD, I am able
    to install the operating system on the NTFS partition, which it
    recognises, with no problems.

    So it was a used drive?
    Came from Windows environment ? ( vs. Unix,VMS, etc)
    What do you mean by "completely wiped it" ?
    Reformatted ?
    If works as secondary drive, there the primary boot area is not used.
    Did you look at disk structure when installing XP Home ?
    Were there more than one partition ?
    Were you able to delete existing partitions ?
    Might it be you installed XP home to second partition?
    So are you now all set, or still trying to install XP Pro
    Can you install XP Pro NOW ( with XP home on there)
    - Bobb -, Nov 13, 2008
  5. JD Francis

    JD Francis Guest

    On Nov 13, 7:15 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "JD Francis" <> wrote in message

    > On Nov 3, 1:19 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >
    > > JD Francis wrote:
    > > > I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
    > > > Deskstar T7K250. When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
    > > > run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
    > > > the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way. When I
    > > > connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
    > > > setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

    > > > Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
    > > > computer?

    > > You purchased a used drive if it already had partitions on it. Wipe the
    > > hard drive clean with CopyWipe (free), and try again. The existing
    > > partitions are causing some confusion... Ben Myers

    > I already completely wiped it with the manufacturer's disk utility
    > program, but this made no difference to the Windows XP Professional
    > CD.  I should probably add, that using a Windows XP Home CD, I am able
    > to install the operating system on the NTFS partition, which it
    > recognises, with no problems.
    >
    > So it was a used drive?
    > Came from Windows environment ? ( vs. Unix,VMS, etc)
    > What do you mean by "completely wiped it" ?
    > Reformatted ?
    > If works as secondary drive, there the primary boot area is not used.
    > Did you look at disk structure when installing XP Home ?
    > Were there more than one partition ?
    > Were you able to delete existing partitions ?
    > Might it be you installed XP home to second partition?
    > So are you now all set, or still trying to install XP Pro
    > Can you install XP Pro NOW  ( with XP home on there)

    The drive was used, yes. I don't know its history, but it did have a
    single NTFS partition on it when I got it that got deleted when I zero-
    filled the disk. Windows XP Home setup can see NTFS partitions and
    indicates that they are of this format, but the Windows XP
    Professional setup simply says "Unknown" and displays the error "Setup
    was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged" message
    when I try to manipulate the drive in any way.

    I've already tried installing XP Professional from a Home
    installation. Everything works fine up until the point where it
    reboots, where I get a Stop 0x00000024 error.

    The drive is fine; I've already run a scan on it. I believe the error
    is to do with either the configuration of the drive or that of the
    computer, rather than a fault with the drive. Also, on another thread
    I started in another group, somebody asked whether the XP Professional
    disk had a SP other than 1 on it while the XP Home disk had SP1 on
    it. This is correct, so I am wondering whether this difference in
    service packs bears any significance on the issue I am having.
    However, I have no way of obtaining an XP Professional SP1 disk so I
    am kinda screwed there if that is the cause of the problem.
    JD Francis, Nov 15, 2008
  6. JD Francis

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JD Francis" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    when I try to manipulate the drive in any way.

    I've already tried installing XP Professional from a Home
    installation. Everything works fine up until the point where it
    reboots, where I get a Stop 0x00000024 error.

    The drive is fine; I've already run a scan on it. I believe the error
    is to do with either the configuration of the drive or that of the
    computer, rather than a fault with the drive. Also, on another thread
    I started in another group, somebody asked whether the XP Professional
    disk had a SP other than 1 on it while the XP Home disk had SP1 on
    it. This is correct, so I am wondering whether this difference in
    service packs bears any significance on the issue I am having.
    However, I have no way of obtaining an XP Professional SP1 disk so I
    am kinda screwed there if that is the cause of the problem.
    ========
    Stop 24 error:
    " an unrecoverable error when trying to access an NTFS partition or a volume
    on the hard disk. Typically, you receive a "Stop: 0x00000024" error message
    when the file system or partition structure is corrupted "

    I've installed XP Pro w/SP2 from scratch, and it installed fine so I don't
    think it's your software CD. Still sounds like physical disk issue to me. I
    suspect drive was previously in non-NTFS environment and the boot area is
    not recognized by install program. Why an issue in Pro and not Home ?
    Perhaps utilities dated differently ?? whatever the reason:
    Are you familiar with FDISK ?
    " The fdisk command in Windows 95 and Windows 98 lets you delete NTFS
    partitions by selecting and deleting the NON-DOS partition. "

    Can you make a Win98 boot disk ? or Norton Ghost ? Ultimate Boot CD etc
    to be able to :
    1. boot a floppy ( or CD). Then, in DOS (either PC DOS or MS-DOS)
    2. low level format the drive
    3. partition the drive
    4. format the drive ( FAT32)
    5. run chkdsk /f just to check drive
    6 if you are familiar with SYS command,
    type sys C:
    to initialize the boot block ( to boot up Win98 )
    ( http://www.computerhope.com/syshlp.htm )

    Doing those steps will erase everything on the drive , then make sure that
    the boot block is writeable- and chkdsk should finish with no errors. Check
    the output for bad blocks etc.
    That should get you to a blank disk that has one and only one partition and
    a good boot block.

    Now that the drive has been initialized, boot the XP Pro CD ( make CD first
    in flow, otherwise will get Win98 C:\ prompt)

    5. Install XP Pro . When it asks for disk structure , first 'View existing
    partitions", just to be sure nothing there - no hardware error, then "
    Delete all "partitions. Then "Create" using all of the disk.
    That should do it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228888/en-us
    for the STOP error ( I know it says Windows 2000 , but just go with it)
    or
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806
    ( halfway down)
    Search results for your problem:
    http://search.microsoft.com/Results...l XP Stop 0x00000024&mkt=en-US&FORM=QBME1&l=1
    - Bobb -, Nov 15, 2008
  7. JD Francis

    JD Francis Guest

    On Nov 15, 6:03 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> [...]

    >    type   sys C:
    > to initialize the boot block ( to boot up Win98 )
    > (http://www.computerhope.com/syshlp.htm )
    >
    > Doing those steps will erase everything on the drive , then make sure that
    > the boot block is writeable-  and chkdsk should finish with no errors. Check
    > the output for bad blocks etc.
    > That should get you to a blank disk that has one and only one partition and
    > a good boot block.
    >
    > Now that the drive has been initialized, boot the XP Pro CD ( make CD first
    > in flow, otherwise will get Win98 C:\ prompt)
    >
    > 5. Install XP Pro . When it asks for disk structure , first 'View existing
    > partitions", just to be sure nothing there  -  no hardware error, then  "
    > Delete all "partitions. Then "Create" using all of the disk.
    > That should do it.

    > for the STOP error    ( I know it says Windows 2000 , but just go with it)

    I'm not doing all of that. I know what the stop error is for, but
    clearly there's nothing wrong with my drive if I can install Windows
    XP Home on it. However, I have noticed that installing a Service Pack
    over it causes it to not boot. Is there a way to troubleshoot this
    and then work from there?
    JD Francis, Nov 19, 2008
  8. JD Francis

    - Bobb - Guest

    - Bobb -, Nov 19, 2008
  9. JD Francis

    - Bobb - Guest

    -------------------
    > I'm not doing all of that. I know what the stop error is for, but clearly
    > there's nothing wrong with my drive if I can > install Windows XP Home on
    > it. However, I have noticed that installing a Service Pack over it causes
    > it to not
    > boot. Is there a way to troubleshoot this and then work from there?

    =================
    You mention XP Pro and XP Home - these are both FULL versions ? or Compaq
    versions ? Assuming both store-bought ...

    > The drive was used, yes. I don't know its history, but it did have a
    > single NTFS partition on it when I got it that got deleted when I zero-
    > filled the disk.

    Using what app ?
    Did you do that BECAUSE XP Pro failed or had you ever tried it ?

    The fact that XP HOME installs and Pro does NOT, means the data surface of
    the drive is fine, but NOT that the disk master boot record does not have
    issues. CLEARLY there IS something wrong with your drive. What if security
    is enabled on the drive? XP Home does not use EFS. XP Pro does. Who knows
    how it was last initialized prior to you getting it. Maybe that's WHY you
    got it !

    Short of me runnings diags on it, I do not know for sure why it fails, but
    you asked how to fix it. Without knowing the details of WHY it fails, we can
    tell you HOW to fix it - no matter what the reason. Sorry if too many steps
    my way. Otherwise, you'll have to live something OTHER than a secure OS.
    ( No XP Pro)

    If you think not a Compaq issue, maybe try XP newsgroup ??
    - Bobb -, Nov 19, 2008